• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AG wants to look into private sales background checks

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was just watching WTKR news channel 3 at 11:00 in tidewater. They had a segment on private sales of handguns in VA and the AG Bob McDonnel said he wants to look into possibly changing that so all the firearm purchase laws are uniform.

I think we need to email him to remind him of our rights and that he will be held accountable for any restrictions on our rights.

I would also like him to explain how he will make the criminals perform background checks in the back allys when they sell their illeagally held guns?:cuss::cuss::cuss:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

I think the practice of selling a gun privately at a gunshow without a NICS check is going to go...

zoom6zoom

imported post

HankT wrote:
I think the practice of selling a gun privately at a gunshow without a NICS check is going to go...
Hope it won't, but if it does we'll do a show and tell at the show and I'll meet you in a parking lot down the street to close the deal. Which just goes to show how useless the whole deal really is... but it will make some know-nothings "feel good".

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
HankT wrote:
Hope it won't, but if it does we'll do a show and tell at the show and I'll meet you in a parking lot down the street to close the deal. Which just goes to show how useless the whole deal really is... but it will make some know-nothings "feel good".

I really wouldn't mind it if it were easy to do and only cost five bucks.

Hell, maybe they could do the check for free to encourage participation.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
I really wouldn't mind it if it were easy to do and only cost five bucks.

Hell, maybe they could do the check for free to encourage participation.
Sure, make the checks cheap in the beginning and increase them over time to control access to firearms.

DeadCenter

imported post

HankT wrote:

I agree with HankT on this one.

And I am not so sure I am opposed.

I'm kinda on the fence. I like the right, but, someone could be a felon and have access to guns at the shows. not sure -- Very mixed feelings on this one.

DC

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

There is a more important reason to resist background checks on private sales - it keeps our guns from being registered. The government doesn't know what guns you do or don't have because you are free to sell and buy guns outside NICS.

We must not accept that private sales are going to be regulated. We must fight it and fight it hard.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I must agree with what my Governor er President said. Not to mention what earthly difference do background checks do in preventing crime? None that I can see.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DeadCenter wrote:
I'm kinda on the fence. I like the right, but, someone could be a felon and have access to guns at the shows. not sure -- Very mixed feelings on this one.
Remember, we already have two options for in-state private sale of firearms:

1.) Sell it face to face. You impose whatever requirements (bill of sale, multiple IDs, etc) with which you feel comfortable.

2.) Have a dealer perform the transfer. The purchase will have to fill out the 4473 and VA form and undergo the VSP background check. Of course, this adds between $5 and $50 depending on what the dealer charges.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

As a matter of personal choice I do not sell or give firearms to people I have not known personally for a long time. That said I have sold some through dealers simply for the purpose of have a background check run, and moving the transaction from me to the dealer. I have considered selling to a person with a valid CHP, and would probably be willing to do so.

My concerns center on liability issues in todays society. If they can sue the company that made the gun years ago, then they could sue me. Rather than accept that liability, I prefer to move the gun through a dealer.

But these are my personal choices, and I should not be mandated to do otherwise. If the state wants this sort of change then the first thing they have to do in my opinion, is make the system freely available to individuals for this purpose, and write the law so it will ALWAYS be free.

That said I agree with the idea of ALLOWING people to use the system if they choose to do so. I do NOT agree with making it mandatory.

Regards