Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALMOST NACHOS.......

Post imported post

I got my CHP today! Wahoo.....but upon further inspection....my DOB is incorrect, the 3 was mistaken for a 5

WHAT DO I DO???? IS IT STILL VALID? I am going to wait to sign it, and hopefully i'll be able to get to the courthouse on thursday

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
    I got my CHP today! Wahoo.....but upon further inspection....my DOB is incorrect, the 3 was mistaken for a 5

WHAT DO I DO???? IS IT STILL VALID? I am going to wait to sign it, and hopefully i'll be able to get to the courthouse on thursday
    I is not valid unless the DOB on it and your drivers license match. You will have to get it fixed.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    KodiakISGOOD wrote:

I is not valid unless the DOB on it and your drivers license match. You will have to get it fixed.

Regards
    But, Wahoo -- Congrats

DC

Post imported post

since the error was through no fault of my own, how long should i expect it to take the court to fix the error and issue me a new correct CHP?

happy carrying,

Jason

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    KodiakISGOOD wrote:

Regards
    Hawk, I just looked over § 18.2-308, the section of code that covers VA CHPs, and I could not find anything that said that the DOB on the CHP must match your drivers license in order for it to be valid. Could you please cite your source?

That being said, Kodiak, I would still recommend trying to get it fixed.

Post imported post

TEX1N wrote:
    Hawkflyer wrote:
    KodiakISGOOD wrote:

Regards
    Hawk, I just looked over § 18.2-308, the section of code that covers VA CHPs, and I could not find anything that said that the DOB on the CHP must match your drivers license in order for it to be valid.* Could you please cite your source?

I don't have a direct cite except the arguments used in the legislature. The CHP is not valid without a drivers license. The two MUST be shown together. Clearly these two documents must be in accord as to personal information. If the DOB does not match they are not in accord. Under those conditions the permit could not be validated.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    TEX1N wrote:
    Hawk, I just looked over § 18.2-308, the section of code that covers VA CHPs, and I could not find anything that said that the DOB on the CHP must match your drivers license in order for it to be valid. Could you please cite your source?

I don't have a direct cite except the arguments used in the legislature. The CHP is not valid without a drivers license. The two MUST be shown together. Clearly these two documents must be in accord as to personal information. If the DOB does not match they are not in accord. Under those conditions the permit could not be validated.

Regards
    All I'm saying is that there is no specific requirement in VA Law that the DOB on the permit must be correct. Just as there is no requirement that the address on the permit must be correct*. And since there is no such requirement, your permit is still valid even if the address on your permit doesn't match your DL. See the VA State Police's website:

The address on my Resident Concealed Handgun Permit is no longer correct. Is my permit still valid?
    Yes. Virginia Code Section 18.2-308, which governs the issuance of resident concealed handgun permits, makes no provisions for changes of address. A permit once issued remains valid until the expiration date is met, or upon suspension or revocation, regardless of the change of address.
    *This will change on July 1, 2007 when lifetime permits take effect. (See § 18.2-308.)

Post imported post

i'll admit i do not have the greatest handwriting in the world. However, for my proof or residency, i enclosed my voter card (which was issued 10/11/01). how would i have qualified for a voter card on that date if i was born in 1985? ..........Bueller?!.........

i am certainly not going to wait another 45 days, im gonna go in thursday and request that i be issued a new one on the spot.....doubt that'll happen, but ill keep ya'll informed.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhnyway, thanks for all the helpful comments!

happy carrying,

Jason

Post imported post

It could be you would be fine. But it is the very issue you pointed out that is of concern. The DOB is very different from the address. You would undoubtedly have the correct address someplace in your paperwork to show you had simply moved. If the DBO is wrong, that is erroneous information, and it will be a lot harder to explain. The DOB is also used when the LEO calls all you info in to verify who you are.

I think getting it fixed is very important.

Regards

Post imported post

I recieved my permit yesterday afternoon, I'll have to check to see if has the correct DOB. Submitted on 3-30-07, approved 4-18-07, recieved on 5-8-07.

Post imported post

bohdi wrote:
    I recieved my permit yesterday afternoon, I'll have to check to see if has the correct DOB. Submitted on 3-30-07, approved 4-18-07, recieved on 5-8-07.
    CONGRATS --

Post imported post

Wooley wrote:
    When my wallet (with CHP inside) was stolen in Newark, DE while reffing a hockey game, I went to the VB City clerks office. She printed me a new one right there on the spot. I think the wait is them checking you out and a judge signing it.

BTW, someone had mentioned keeping the address current on a CHP. Can you cite that, I do not believe thats the case. Matter of fact, I had moved from VB to PW county but since I was in VB at the time and it was the place of issue I went back. I had informed them that I moved and they didn't care. Kept the original address on it.
    Here you go... Better change that address... This law is on the way.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308

D1. (Effective July 1, 2007 - see Editor's note) Whenever any person moves from the address shown on the concealed handgun permit, he shall, within 30 days, notify the issuing court of his change of address. The court shall issue a new concealed handgun permit as provided in subsection H and provide the Department of State Police with the permit information as required in subsection K.

Post imported post

So, what happens if you move out of state? I can't find any reference to that anywhere in the code...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

The old code does not direct that these things be done. But as LEO229 points out the new code does. But what is important to remember is what a LEO will look at if he asks to see your permit.

He will be able to tell you have moved if he can positively identify you. The DOB is a critical element in that ID step. If it is different on the CHP that what is shown on your license, this will complicate the ID. It will raise a lot more questions if your personal identification info is not correct that it ever would if your address is different.

Just as a simple example, your car registration could be used to show your new address, or even your voter registration card. But if your DOB does not match across document that show it, you are just asking for difficulties.

Since in this case the permit was issued with the incorrect date, it is even more important to have it fixed now. The court record is currently flawed. A case could be made that it was NOT the court that made the mistake even though this is not the case. Suppose you are unlucky enough that there is a wanted felon that has the same name as you, and his birthday happens to be the one shown on your CHP?

It does not matter what the code says, I would get it fixed.
    Regards

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Get it fixed. I'd much rather fuss about gov't clerical errors than complain in vain thata police officer made a big deal out of mis-matched birth dates.

Call first. I'm thinking the judge might not stop in the middle of session to sign your permit.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Wooley wrote:
    So I just contact VB and they have to give me new one eh? In the mean time, how would you handle this if you stopped me for speeding and were curious about my permit? And as a birdhopping question, how curious would you even be? What would prompt you to ask to see it or my weapon in the first place?

I do not think a LEO would even care. As long as it was valid and it was yours.. good enough for me.

Anything other than that is petty.

Even a typo on the birthday it not a big deal. The permit has your name and in the VCIN file it would show under your name. A clerical error has been made but the permit is yours...

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    I do not think a LEO would even care. As long as it was valid and it was yours.. good enough for me.

Even a typo on the birthday it not a big deal. The permit has your name and in the VCIN file it would show under your name. A clerical error has been made but the permit is yours...
    If there's a typo on the card, what's to say it's in VCIN correctly?
    ---

Post imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:

well i provided my ssn, so im pretty sure it's in VCIN correctly, but i told you all i would keep you posted, and here is the latest:

went to the courthouse today, honor guard was doing something at the massey building.....So i am in line waiting and there are 2 guys in front of me, a guy in front of them and some dude clerk hogging! Anyway the 4 of us get a chattin, and we are all there for CHP's (they're dropping them off). we get a talking and i tell them to double check and make sure that all the i's are dotted, t's crossed and completly legible. One of the guys showed me his application because he is moving to va. I looked it over real quick and told him he was at the wrong courthouse. He is moving to loudoun county and i explained to him that he'd need to file it with loudoun county. He was concerned because he didn't think he had the right proof of competency with a handgun. I told him there was a whole list of things that would prove his competency. He then said he had a florida permit. I told him that va and florida had a reciprocity agreement. He gave me the "what's that look" so i referred him to packing.org and here!! (so we may have a new member)

On another note, carol snow (fairfax county circuit court deputy clerk)is quite possible the nicest person on the face of the planet. she told me that a judge would sign it today or tomorrow and it would be mailed out no later than tomorrow.

Happy Carrying

Jason

Post imported post

I have had occasion to be stopped twice since I have had a permit. On both occasions the Officer (unprompted by any other events) knew that I had a permit. If you have the weapon with you and it is concealed they will usually ask to see the permit.

While it is very likely you could get a LEO who would ignore the DOB issue, it is just as likely you could draw a guy who might act on it.

When I got mine in the mail it came with a note instructing me to check it for accuracy and let them know if it was not correct. Presumable this was so they could fix the problem.

Regards

Post imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:

It depends on if it was entered using your app or what was on the card. But a LEO will not give you a hard time about that. At least.. I wouldn't. I know typos happen.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    I have had occasion to be stopped twice since I have had a permit. On both occasions the Officer (unprompted by any other events) knew that I had a permit. If you have the weapon with you and it is concealed they will usually ask to see the permit.
    Just a question....

If you have the weapon with you and it is concealed, how would he know to ask for a permit? Can I assume he asked first?

I know I wouldn't lie, but here in Virginia, depending on the circumstances, I'm not sure I'd volunteer the information either.

Now, I travel to North Carolina a lot, and the first thing I learned in researching their laws (which I have to re-do every time I go) is that you must inform the officer in a traffic stop that you are carrying.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    ...SNIP
    Just a question....

If you have the weapon with you and it is concealed, how would he know to ask for a permit?* Can I assume he asked first?

I know I wouldn't lie, but here in Virginia, depending on the circumstances, I'm not sure I'd volunteer the information either.

Now, I travel to North Carolina a lot, and the first thing I learned in researching their laws (which I have to re-do every time I go) is that you must inform the officer in a traffic stop that you are carrying.
    When they run your tags, the fact that you have a permit comes up with the data assuming you own the car. In fact that is the reason the VSP had the electronic list that the Roanoke Times published. It was the Law Enforcement purpose for which the list was compiled that is now preventing its further release under FOIA.

Regards

Post imported post

Actually that's not quite true.***

The fact that a person has a CHP will come up with a driver's licence inquiry, not a vehicle licence inquiry.

What many officers will do, especially if they know in advance they are going to pull you over, is run the tag, then right away run the registered owner. When they pull you over and get your DL they already know it is valid (or not!).

I've gotten probably 4 speeding tickets since I got my CHP, on all but one occaision I informed the officer I had a CHP and if I was armed. The one time I forgot to the officer let me stew in the car for quite a while, until a backup unit arrived. I then got asked if there was a gun anywhere in the car (there wasn't) about 5 times and sloooooooower each time. Finally they gave me my ticket and left.

In this situation I figure its telling them something they already know or are about to find out, and gives the officer the warmfuzzies that I'm not a badguy. As a former officer I know how stressful a traffic stop can be, so I'm willing to help relieve that however I can.

***Edit to add - I was a officer in PRMD, not VA, but this is the way it was explained and demonstrated to me a few years ago by a Virginia Deputy, and the way I understand it to still be. Probably LEO229 or somesuch can chime in and confirm.

Post imported post

livitup wrote:
    Actually that's not quite true.

The fact that a person has a CHP will come up with a driver's licence inquiry, not a vehicle licence inquiry.

What many officers will do, especially if they know in advance they are going to pull you over, is run the tag, then right away run the registered owner. When they pull you over and get your DL they already know it is valid (or not!).

I've gotten probably 4 speeding tickets since I got my CHP, on all but one occaision I informed the officer I had a CHP and if I was armed. The one time I forgot to the officer let me stew in the car for quite a while, until a backup unit arrived. I then got asked if there was a gun anywhere in the car (there wasn't) about 5 times and sloooooooower each time. Finally they gave me my ticket and left.

In this situation I figure its telling them something they already know or are about to find out, and gives the officer the warmfuzzies that I'm not a badguy. As a former officer I know how stressful a traffic stop can be, so I'm willing to help relieve that however I can.
    You are correct. I was in a hurry before (wife convened dinner), so I was a little brief. But that is what I was getting at with the "if you own the car" statement.

Regards

Post imported post

NACHOS!!!!!.......(Bell GRANDE!?)

I received my corrected permit in the mail today and i also received my grades!...... IM GRADUATING!!! WAHOO!

I'd like to thank the academy, Carol Snow, John T. Frey, and my mother for making this all possible.

Happy Carrying, (i've got options, now!)

Jason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast