• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ALMOST NACHOS.......

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have had occasion to be stopped twice since I have had a permit. On both occasions the Officer (unprompted by any other events) knew that I had a permit. If you have the weapon with you and it is concealed they will usually ask to see the permit.

While it is very likely you could get a LEO who would ignore the DOB issue, it is just as likely you could draw a guy who might act on it.

When I got mine in the mail it came with a note instructing me to check it for accuracy and let them know if it was not correct. Presumable this was so they could fix the problem.

Regards

LEO 229

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
I do not think a LEO would even care. As long as it was valid and it was yours.. good enough for me.

Anything other than that is petty.

Even a typo on the birthday it not a big deal. The permit has your name and in the VCIN file it would show under your name. A clerical error has been made but the permit is yours...
If there's a typo on the card, what's to say it's in VCIN correctly?
It depends on if it was entered using your app or what was on the card. But a LEO will not give you a hard time about that. At least.. I wouldn't. I know typos happen.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
I have had occasion to be stopped twice since I have had a permit. On both occasions the Officer (unprompted by any other events) knew that I had a permit. If you have the weapon with you and it is concealed they will usually ask to see the permit.

Just a question....

If you have the weapon with you and it is concealed, how would he know to ask for a permit? Can I assume he asked first?

I know I wouldn't lie, but here in Virginia, depending on the circumstances, I'm not sure I'd volunteer the information either.

Now, I travel to North Carolina a lot, and the first thing I learned in researching their laws (which I have to re-do every time I go) is that you must inform the officer in a traffic stop that you are carrying.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tess wrote:
...SNIP
Just a question....

If you have the weapon with you and it is concealed, how would he know to ask for a permit?  Can I assume he asked first?

I know I wouldn't lie, but here in Virginia, depending on the circumstances, I'm not sure I'd volunteer the information either.

Now, I travel to North Carolina a lot, and the first thing I learned in researching their laws (which I have to re-do every time I go) is that you must inform the officer in a traffic stop that you are carrying.

When they run your tags, the fact that you have a permit comes up with the data assuming you own the car. In fact that is the reason the VSP had the electronic list that the Roanoke Times published. It was the Law Enforcement purpose for which the list was compiled that is now preventing its further release under FOIA.

Regards

livitup

imported post

Actually that's not quite true.***

The fact that a person has a CHP will come up with a driver's licence inquiry, not a vehicle licence inquiry.

What many officers will do, especially if they know in advance they are going to pull you over, is run the tag, then right away run the registered owner. When they pull you over and get your DL they already know it is valid (or not!).

I've gotten probably 4 speeding tickets since I got my CHP, on all but one occaision I informed the officer I had a CHP and if I was armed. The one time I forgot to the officer let me stew in the car for quite a while, until a backup unit arrived. I then got asked if there was a gun anywhere in the car (there wasn't) about 5 times and sloooooooower each time. Finally they gave me my ticket and left.

In this situation I figure its telling them something they already know or are about to find out, and gives the officer the warmfuzzies that I'm not a badguy. As a former officer I know how stressful a traffic stop can be, so I'm willing to help relieve that however I can.

***Edit to add - I was a officer in PRMD, not VA, but this is the way it was explained and demonstrated to me a few years ago by a Virginia Deputy, and the way I understand it to still be. Probably LEO229 or somesuch can chime in and confirm.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

livitup wrote:
Actually that's not quite true.

The fact that a person has a CHP will come up with a driver's licence inquiry, not a vehicle licence inquiry.

What many officers will do, especially if they know in advance they are going to pull you over, is run the tag, then right away run the registered owner. When they pull you over and get your DL they already know it is valid (or not!).

I've gotten probably 4 speeding tickets since I got my CHP, on all but one occaision I informed the officer I had a CHP and if I was armed. The one time I forgot to the officer let me stew in the car for quite a while, until a backup unit arrived. I then got asked if there was a gun anywhere in the car (there wasn't) about 5 times and sloooooooower each time. Finally they gave me my ticket and left.

In this situation I figure its telling them something they already know or are about to find out, and gives the officer the warmfuzzies that I'm not a badguy. As a former officer I know how stressful a traffic stop can be, so I'm willing to help relieve that however I can.

You are correct. I was in a hurry before (wife convened dinner), so I was a little brief. But that is what I was getting at with the "if you own the car" statement.

Regards

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

NACHOS!!!!!.......(Bell GRANDE!?)

I received my corrected permit in the mail today and i also received my grades!...... IM GRADUATING!!! WAHOO!

I'd like to thank the academy, Carol Snow, John T. Frey, and my mother for making this all possible.

Happy Carrying, (i've got options, now!)

Jason