• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Circuit Court Denies to rehear DC Case

TEX1N

imported post

I find it interesting that Judge Karen Henderson, the single dissenter in the original three judge panel review, did not vote for review!?! I guess she can now say that she voted for the ban right before she voted against it!

So is the DC Ban still in effect until The Supreme Court get a chance to hear it? Does anyone know how that works?

Kelly J

imported post

TEX1N wrote:
I find it interesting that Judge Karen Henderson, the single dissenter in the original three judge panel review, did not vote for review!?! I guess she can now say that she voted for the ban right before she voted against it!

So is the DC Ban still in effect until The Supreme Court get a chance to hear it? Does anyone know how that works?
That sounds like the Democratic thing to do.

usmc_recon

imported post

Didn't the judge who dissented base her ruling on the fact that D.C. isn't a state? I don't think she actually made any interpretation of the 2nd Amendment. So we don't know where she stands on that.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I heard or read (and cannot corroborate this) that "en banc" hearings are not granted for the "we don't agree with the ruling" appeals. They are only granted in cases where problems with due process, procedural, evidence, the process, etc are suspected. So, under my understanding, the original dissenter's vote against the en banc hearing is not a flip-flop on gun rights.

hirundo82

imported post

usmc_recon wrote:
Didn't the judge who dissented base her ruling on the fact that D.C. isn't a state? I don't think she actually made any interpretation of the 2nd Amendment. So we don't know where she stands on that.

No, she took a "collective right" viewof theSecond Amendment andher interpretation that Miller v. US supports that view in her dissent.

From the text of her dissent on Wikipedia:

To sum up, there is no dispute that the Constitution, case law and applicable statutes all establish that the District is not a State within the meaning of the Second Amendment. Under United States v. Miller, 307 U.S. at 178, [/b]the Second Amendment's declaration and guarantee that "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" relates to the Militia of the States only[/b]. That the Second Amendment does not apply to the District, then, is, to me, an unavoidable conclusion.

LeagueOf1291

imported post

I have simply assumed they would. Whether the S Ct will grant cert is another question. They're more likely to do so if there are contrary holdings in other circuits, in order to resolve a conflict among the circuits. I just don't know if there are contrary holdings on this point.

ET

imported post

Wouldn't it make more sence for them not to appeal? If they change the law just a little (in wording but not in actual effect) wouldn't it send everything back to square one again?

ProguninTN

imported post

LeagueOf1291 wrote:
I have simply assumed they would. Whether the S Ct will grant cert is another question. They're more likely to do so if there are contrary holdings in other circuits, in order to resolve a conflict among the circuits. I just don't know if there are contrary holdings on this point.

There are indeed conflicts. The Ninth Circuit took the "collective right" approach in Silveira v. Lockyer. The DC Circuit said "individual right" in Parker v. District of Columbia, as did the Fifth Circuit in United States v. Timothy Joe Emerson. Cert might be possible with the Circuits in conflict, but this is a hot button issue which the court may try to avoid.

ProguninTN