• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do we have lifetime permits as of July 1, 2007?

TEX1N

imported post

After talking to Philip Van Cleave (VCDL President) earlier in the year, I was under the impression that the lifetime permits didn't get the funding they needed. Therefore the issue was completely dead.

But I was just looking over § 18.2-308, and it looks like we are in fact getting lifetime permits effective July 1, 2007. The down side is that you now have to change your address if you move (see D1).

Here are a few excerpts from § 18.2-308 to clarify my point:
D. (Effective until July 1, 2007 - see Editor's notes) Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun...

D. (Effective July 1, 2007 - see Editor's notes) Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a permit to carry a concealed handgun...

[line]
H. (Effective until July 1, 2007 - see Editor's notes) The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall specify only the following information: name, address, date of birth, gender, height, weight, color of hair, color of eyes, and signature of the permittee; the signature of the judge issuing the permit, or of the clerk of court who has been authorized to sign such permits by the issuing judge; the date of issuance; and the expiration date.

H. (Effective July 1, 2007 - see Editor's notes) The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall specify only the following information: name, address, date of birth, gender, height, weight, color of hair, color of eyes, and signature of the permittee; the signature of the judge issuing the permit, or of the clerk of court who has been authorized to sign such permits by the issuing judge; and the date of issuance.

[line]
I. (Effective until July 1, 2007 - see Editor's notes) Persons who previously have held a concealed handgun permit shall be issued, upon application as provided in subsection D, a new five-year permit unless there is good cause shown for refusing to reissue a permit. If the circuit court denies the permit...

I. (Effective July 1, 2007 - see Editor's notes) If the circuit court denies the permit...

Here are two new sections pertaining to changing your address on your permit and the yearly background check that is going to be performed on all permit holders:

D1. (Effective July 1, 2007 - see Editor's note) Whenever any person moves from the address shown on the concealed handgun permit, he shall, within 30 days, notify the issuing court of his change of address. The court shall issue a new concealed handgun permit as provided in subsection H and provide the Department of State Police with the permit information as required in subsection

K. J5. (Effective July 1, 2007 - see Editor's note) The Department of State Police shall conduct a state and national criminal background check through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) and the Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN) on all valid concealed handgun permits annually

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Short answer: no, we don't have lifetime permits.

See my post in this thread (should be last post on page 1).

Also, I think we need to remove the funding requirement from the law's verbiage. Let's say the current biannual state budget funds the background checks. Then next year, the state legislatures cuts funding for the background checks in order to pay for roads, schools, capitol renovations, Jamestown, pork barrel, whatever. Have we lost our lifetime permits? What about those issued a lifetime permit last year?

I realize my dates don't coincide with the actual state budget dates.

TEX1N

imported post

My question then would be; if the lifetime permit system didn't get funding, then why is the wording still in § 18.2-308? Because the way I see it, if those new sections become law we then have lifetime permits...funding or no funding.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

TEX1N wrote:
My question then would be; if the lifetime permit system didn't get funding, then why is the wording still in § 18.2-308? Because the way I see it, if those new sections become law we then have lifetime permits...funding or no funding.
Because the code now reflects bills passed 2006; action by the 2007 General Assembly will be posted on 1 JUL 07