• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Police Week - May 14-18, 2007

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

President John F. Kennedy designated the week containing May 15 as national police week in 1962.

More information

May 15, 2007 is National Peace Officers' Memorial Day.

The link contains the schedule of events for Washington DC. If you are in the area, check it out.

Regards

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well if it was ment to be funny, I did not get the humor.

Perhaps we should all just act like adults and recognize that not all LEOs are bad, and that fallen officers and their families MIGHT just deserve a little more respect that what you are demonstrating.

joeroket

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:

Perhaps we should all just act like adults and recognize that not all LEOs are bad, and that fallen officers and their families MIGHT just deserve a little more respect that what you are demonstrating.
I appreciate your recognition. I am theson of a slain LEO. I have yet to visit DC for the annual ceremony but hope to soon. My dad was recognized at the innagural ceremony at the memorial in DC.

Wooley

imported post

Joe, how long ago if you don't mind my asking? Also, if you'd like, I'd be more than happy to get his name rubbed on paper and send it to you.

joeroket

imported post

Wooley wrote:
Joe, how long ago if you don't mind my asking? Also, if you'd like, I'd be more than happy to get his name rubbed on paper and send it to you.

I don't mind anyone asking. I am rather quite proud that he did what he did and gave his life protecting others.
He was killedDec. 18,1984 in Seattle. A rubbing would be awesome as I have yet to get one. PM me and we can set something up. I really appreciate the offer to do that for me.

Wooley

imported post

No problem at all. I visit the Memorial quite often, 3 of my dads really good friends are there. The sadest part is,more than of few of these brave men and womenwere killed during traffic stops by motorists that were not paying attention.

The 80 something year old woman that killed Tpr. Kermit Fitzpatrick drove to the SP post reporting that she had hit a road sign. Unfortunately Michigan lost a great Trooper instead of a MDOT sign that night. She lost her license and was never charged with a crime.

joeroket

imported post

Wooley wrote:
No problem at all. I visit the Memorial quite often, 3 of my dads really good friends are there. The sadest part is,more than of few of these brave men and womenwere killed during traffic stops by motorists that were not paying attention.

The 80 something year old woman that killed Tpr. Kermit Fitzpatrick drove to the SP post reporting that she had hit a road sign. Unfortunately Michigan lost a great Trooper instead of a MDOT sign that night. She lost her license and was never charged with a crime.

3 of his friends are on the wall? Man that has to be hard on him.

We have had a few WSP that have been killed by careless drivers. You really have to wonder what they were thinking at the time.

Only losing her license seems a little on the easy side. Hasn't the prosecutor ever heard of involuntary manslaughter at the very least. I have no pity, accident or not.

Wooley

imported post

Its been over the years that 3 Tprs that have beenfamily friends have been killed in the line of duty.

My mistake, Tpr Fitzpatrick was shot in Detroit. Tpr Manny Fields was struck by a car on I-94 in Jackson, Tpr Bryon Erickson died from a crash involving a stolen vehicle, Tpr Bryon Egelski was killed responding to a crash.

rchjr

imported post

All you LEO's. THANK YOU for your service, and sacrifice to your family. Having been there and done that, I hold all of you in high regards. I chose family. No regrets(well just alittle sometimes):).

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:

Sorry, Hawkflyer. I didn't mean to trod on your sensibilities. I was responding to the nonsensical ways of pricking back at antagonists. Missing the full significance of the word "memorial" in Peace Officers Memorial Day didn't help. I apologize.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:

Sorry, Hawkflyer.  I didn't mean to trod on your sensibilities.  I was responding to the nonsensical ways of pricking back at antagonists.  Missing the full significance of the word "memorial" in Peace Officers Memorial Day didn't help.  I apologize.

No harm no fowl. I have no problem with slamming or getting slammed. And in almost any other thread I might have thought it was funny too. But the subject here is not controversial (IMHO) and I think it deserves some level of decorum.

Perhaps I should just apologize to all of you if I overreacted and go have a Brandy.

Regards