• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns in schools topic of debate, Posted & Currying, Charleston, SC

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://web.charleston.net/news/2007/may/10/guns_schools_topic_debate/[align=center] [/align]
Guns in schools topic of debate By Ron Menchaca (Contact) The Post and Courier Thursday, May 10, 2007

University of South Carolina professor Patrick Nolan knows exactly what he would want to do if a gun-wielding assailant burst into his classroom: He'd blow him away.
"I would have no hesitation," said Nolan, who holds a state-issued concealed weapons permit and has taught sociology at USC for 15 years. "I would tell my students to get down, and I would stop the attack."

South Carolina and most other states ban permit holders from bringing weapons onto school campuses and other public property. But a bill pending in the S.C. House would allow anyone with a concealed weapons permit to carry a gun onto public school and college campuses. Nolan said he believes he could better protect his students if he brought his .357-caliber Magnum to class.

"That's why we have shootings on school campuses, because the shooters know schools are gun-free zones and nobody is going to stop them," Nolan said.
On Wednesday, the House's Judiciary Committee took testimony from campus public safety officials and gun-rights advocates, two groups that come down squarely on opposite sides of the issue.

Rep. Jeff Duncan, R-Laurens, introduced the legislation in response to claims that the tragedy at Virginia Tech last month could have been avoided, or at least blunted, if more people on campus were armed. About 20 other lawmakers have signed on to Duncan's bill.

Kathy Maness represents some 6,000 teachers as executive director of the Palmetto State Teachers Association. She said she prays that conditions in South Carolina schools never reach the point where teachers must pack heat alongside their lesson plans. "I just don't think it's safe to have guns in school. What if we have a student who is going off the deep end and they get that gun?"

The state's Commission on Higher Education declined to comment on the bill; other academic and education groups have said that allowing weapons to be brought onto campuses is a bad idea.

House members adjourned debate on the bill Wednesday, and it is not scheduled to come back up before the end of the session. House Majority Leader Jim Merrill, R-Daniel Island, supports the proposal but thinks it has little chance of passage this year.

Merrill said the bill might have more appeal if it limited the gun-carrying privilege to school faculty and administrators. "This legislation might be a little extreme," he said. "The students — that might be a little more than folks can stomach."

Columbia College Police Chief Howard Cook said that allowing civilians to carry weapons on campus could lead to more violence, not less. Officers responding to a shooting already have enough to deal with without having to discern which shooters are legitimate. "It's difficult for us to decide who are the good guys. If SWAT shoots the faculty member, it just goes round and round."

Cook, president of the S.C. Campus Law Enforcement Association, said many concealed weapons permit holders lack training in high-stress environments and that their experience is limited to "shooting at paper targets in optimal conditions," he said.

Ernest Ellis, who oversees law enforcement at USC, said a classroom could be transformed into a virtual shooting gallery if an assailant opened fire and several students reached for their own weapons. "How accurate would their shots be in that case, and would we have even more victims?"

Robert Butler, vice president of Lexington-based GrassRoots Gun Rights, also testified Wednesday. He said concealed weapons permit holders are the good guys and that the mere possibility that they could be sitting in classrooms and walking across campuses is enough to deter most would-be murderers. "If we truly loved our children, we would not create safe havens for the killers of our children," Butler said.
Butler said law-abiding gun owners have helped stop or minimize violence in at least three school-related incidents over the years.

Nolan, who practices marksmanship in simulated "real-world" environments and teaches training courses for people applying for concealed weapons permits, said most permit holders are not casual gun owners. They practice and have accepted a responsibility.

"When you decide to carry a weapon, you have to ask yourself, 'Am I prepared to use it?' "

Reach Ron Menchaca at rmenchaca@postandcourier.com or 937-5724.

Posted by Doug_Huffman
"Kathy Maness ... prays ..." Well, so much for her 'separation of church and state.' I wonder if she prays in class or even leads her students in prayer? If she did she might not have to worry so about a student going off the deep end and getting her gun.

"Kathy Maness ... prays that conditions in South Carolina schools never reach the point where teachers must pack heat alongside their lesson plans." No one has suggested mandating teachers carry guns. They might be the least capable in such a stressful situation.

"I just don't think it's safe to have guns in school." Safety is a state of mind and cannot be bought or legislated.

"What if we have a student who is going off the deep end and they get that gun?" The risk is marginal, by definition. One gun more or less will not affect the risk of a Bad Guy. I thought teachers were trained to identify and intervene.

"[O]ther academic and education groups have said that allowing weapons to be brought onto campuses is a bad idea." And still other academic and education groups say that allowing weapons on campuses is a GOOD idea. A little journalistic honesty please.

"Merrill said the bill might have more appeal if it limited the gun-carrying privilege to school faculty and administrators." Another petty-tyrant wannabe. "Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth."

The cops have demonstrated their training in other high-stress school shooting situations. They have universally been late to the scene, taken cover and been generally ineffective. It is settled law that the police are not responsible for an individuals' personal safety. The paramilitarization of US police is very disturbing.

GRASS ROOTS GUN RIGHTS SOUTH CAROLINA SPEAKS FOR ME.

Doug Huffman
Washington Island, WI
(late of Charleston, Seabrook Is,
and Mt. Pleasant)

L

lawandorder

imported post

'The paramilitarization of US police is very disturbing.'

dear Dougie:what:,

Clinton was the one that made the comment on promoting a 'paramilitary' police. With the types of criminals in America,must be paramilitary. remember the military cannot engage on US soil. i see nothing wrong with a 'paramilitary force' as you put it. please tell me your reasoning behind such claims and what you mean by para military force? is it the specialized weapons, the specialized units or the training. 90% of police officers are former military. or is it a jealousy issue?:banghead:

anonymous mouse

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA

See, wasn't that easy? I just made a few keystrokes and cut through all of your dreary Barbara Streisand. I am registered to vote and Anony Mouse is not. My opinion counts 1/300E6 and Anony Mouse, even eXtreme Undertaker Anony Mouse is only a troll. FOAD

L

lawandorder

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA

See, wasn't that easy? I just made a few keystrokes and cut through all of your dreary Barbara Streisand. I am registered to vote and Anony Mouse is not. My opinion counts 1/300E6 and Anony Mouse, even eXtreme Undertaker Anony Mouse is only a troll. FOAD

Sounds like drivel to me:exclaim: Still did not answer the question of how we are militarized and why that is a bad idea. It really don't matter seeing how you fled Charleston and only "rode" in a police car on patrol once in the civilian program. What do you really know about law enforcement other than we are criminals and scum- as you once put it.:banghead:

anonymous mouse

Dougie's undertaker troll :lol:

PS you have a lot of mis-spelled words. clean it up please

T

The Badge

imported post

Dougie -

Your drivel and constant Cop-bashing makes me ill! You bitch and complain about what the cops don't do and dare to post your filth to a newspaper in a state that you don't even live in. What will you say to the cops that come to your house if it gets broken into? Will you say "what took you so long" or will it be "thank you sir for showing up when I needed you.

You are an embarrassment to the great state of South Carolina -

T

The Badge

imported post

Doggie -

If you want to be "equal" - earn the respect and earn the honor to wear the badge - until then - you are a cop-bashing fool who sits in a different state making judgement on law enforcement officers all over the U.S. who put their lives on the line to keep old fools like you safe.

You are a cop bashing fool, who dreams of being young again and being in law enforcement.

You are a superannuated fool who after participating in aride along program thinks that makes him special.

No sir, we are not equal and from the words you have spoken, and your anserine behavior, we never will be.

In your own words - FOAD soon - I tire of your diarrrheatic mouth.