View Poll Results: How often are you attacked when you are OC'ing?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • I get attacked every time I leave the house.

    3 4.41%
  • I get attacked often.

    0 0%
  • I have been attacked once.

    2 2.94%
  • I have never been attacked.

    42 61.76%
  • Are you kidding? Bad Guys will run the other way if they see I'm armed.

    21 30.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: How many of you have been "targets" while OC'ing?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Redmond, Washington, USA
    Posts
    618

    Post imported post

    I keep hearing over and over and over how Open carrying will make you a "target". For some reason BG's from miles around will come right at you and take you out. That seems to be the #1 reason CCW only carriers think those who OC are ill advised.

    Ok, so, how many of you have been "targeted" by bad guys?

    Also, anyone have any stats, or anything to prove/dis-prove the "targeting"?

    Thanks!
    Greg

  2. #2
    Regular Member MamaLiberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Newcastle, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    884

    Post imported post

    Some of my friends (who live in big cities) have been yelling at me about this, but I'm not in any real danger in rural Wyoming. We don't have much of a criminal element to start with - but we do have the occasional wolf or mountain lion.

    I suspect it is a good possibility in a big city, however.

    The theory goes: the gang bangers will see your weapon and a group of them will get together and relieve you of it... leaving you alive if you are lucky.

    Most of us wouldn't prevail against a large group of criminals intent on robbing us, of course. But the answer to that seems to be to stay away from where that could be a problem, carry concealed if one must go to such a place, and/or never go into such an area alone.

    Life is risky. Being unarmed is much more so, wherever you are.

    Common sense is the thing to rely on.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

    Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    McLean, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    112

    Post imported post

    i have been assaulted, but never while open carrying. i open carry for my own protection, to avoid being a target.

    i usually try to open carry with someone else who's also carrying, not by myself. i'd hate to be in a situation where i get pepper sprayed and someone takes my gun away from me. with another person there who's also armed, i think i look like less of a target.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Columbus Area, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    43

    Post imported post

    I concealed carry about 80% of the time and open carry 20% of the time. I work in the inner city and I just don't think anyone is going to go after someone open carrying. For one thing, it is stupid to attack someone who has a weapon. Secondly, I believe that most people who see me open carrying, think I must be law enforcement of some kind. I don't see too many people attack policemen, so I don't think too many are going to attack OC'ers.

    Someone would have to be on drugs/alcohol and/or seriously aggressive to attack someone with a weapon. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it certainly is going to happen much less to someone open carrying than the general public.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    495

    Post imported post

    I just pretend I'm wearing a shirt that says "Black Man with a Gun". That usually keeps BGs away. :P

    No, I've never been a target. I pray no one else becomes one.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mag-bayonettes!, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,407

    Post imported post

    I had the weirdest dream last night that I was at a mall looking for my ladyfriend who was shopping when Paris Hilton & Nicole Richie came in to tear up the place because she didn't want to go to jail. She pulled a gun and I had to hold her at gunpoint (no shots fired by any party) until cops arrived. HAH. Stupid dreams are the result of leaving CNN on the sleep mode for my TV before I drift off.
    -Unrequited

  7. #7
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    I think some of you so far have misinterpretted the point of why some say cc is a better way to carry than openly.

    It is not that just because you have a firearm, and for that reason alone, people will travel from afar to come and attack you and steal your weapon.

    Wearing it openly may deter a crime in a lot of cases, but if the act is being commited and they did not notice or see your firearm, but they see it while they are in the middle of the act, they would most likely go after you first, as you are the immediate threat to them.

    I don't really think it matters where you live either, it only needs to happen once.

    Personal opinion I guess, I oc everywhere, never cc'd, but I understand why they say what they say about it.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Columbus Area, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    43

    Post imported post

    I guess. Maybe like Robert DeNiro's bank robbery team in the movie "Heat" or something.

    So you mean a crime is occuring and this imaginary OC'er is just chilling with the weapon still on his hip. Then the criminals do a thorough and exhaustive search of their hostages and discover the OC'er just chilling with gun not drawn.

    That sure seems like some pretty smart and thorough criminals. But I just see very low percentage chance of all those events unfolding like that. However, I do see your point in that the OC'er may need to react more quickly.

  9. #9
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ocean Shores, WA
    Posts
    593

    Post imported post

    danbus wrote:
    I just pretend I'm wearing a shirt that says "Black Man with a Gun". That usually keeps BGs away. :P

    No, I've never been a target. I pray no one else becomes one.
    Ooh, that hurt.:P

    Sorry danbus, my graphics software gives me a headache when I try to set up the white text on a black shirt - which I think would look best. I have to make the background image transparent and size it just right so that Cafe Press can print it correctly.

    I'll get it worked out yet. What size do you wear?

    LoveMyCountry

  10. #10
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ocean Shores, WA
    Posts
    593

    Post imported post

    unrequited wrote:
    I had the weirdest dream last night that I was at a mall looking for my ladyfriend who was shopping when Paris Hilton & Nicole Richie came in to tear up the place because she didn't want to go to jail. She pulled a gun and I had to hold her at gunpoint (no shots fired by any party) until cops arrived. HAH. Stupid dreams are the result of leaving CNN on the sleep mode for my TV before I drift off.
    I am fairly confident that if I were to havea dream about Paris Hilton & Nicole Richie, it would be very different from that one. :P

    LoveMyCountry

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    495

    Post imported post

    LoveMyCountry wrote:
    danbus wrote:
    I just pretend I'm wearing a shirt that says "Black Man with a Gun". That usually keeps BGs away. :P

    No, I've never been a target. I pray no one else becomes one.
    Ooh, that hurt.:P

    Sorry danbus, my graphics software gives me a headache when I try to set up the white text on a black shirt - which I think would look best. I have to make the background image transparent and size it just right so that Cafe Press can print it correctly.

    I'll get it worked out yet. What size do you wear?

    LoveMyCountry
    XL





    OMG, I just noticed that someone voted "I get attacked everytime I leave the house". FFS, who voted that???

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Redmond, Washington, USA
    Posts
    618

    Post imported post

    danbus wrote:
    OMG, I just noticed that someone voted "I get attacked everytime I leave the house". FFS, who voted that???
    Probably a protest vote, or just a "smart-a$$" vote. Otherwise I would recommend that person never leave the house without a bodyguard! LOL

    Thanks!
    Greg

  13. #13
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ocean Shores, WA
    Posts
    593

    Post imported post

    gregma wrote:
    danbus wrote:
    OMG, I just noticed that someone voted "I get attacked everytime I leave the house". FFS, who voted that???
    Probably a protest vote, or just a "smart-a$$" vote. Otherwise I would recommend that person never leave the house without a bodyguard! LOL

    Thanks!
    Greg
    Are they making these in Kevlar now? :P



    LoveMyCountry

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Redmond, Washington, USA
    Posts
    618

    Post imported post

    LoveMyCountry wrote:
    gregma wrote:
    danbus wrote:
    OMG, I just noticed that someone voted "I get attacked everytime I leave the house". FFS, who voted that???
    Probably a protest vote, or just a "smart-a$$" vote. Otherwise I would recommend that person never leave the house without a bodyguard! LOL

    Thanks!
    Greg
    Are they making these in Kevlar now? :P



    LoveMyCountry
    You don't need *those* made out of kevlar. The same powers that keep the radio waves out, keep the bullets out as well. I think it has to do with temporal displacement...

    Thanks!
    Greg

  15. #15
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    I just made my own! Feel better already



  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,882

    Post imported post

    I don't know how the "bad guys" feel about it, but I do know that the police went out of their way to be jerks with me yesterday. I was driving through Dayton after a morning at Spring Valley range, and was almost immediately pulled over. The cop gets my license and insurance stuff and runs it, comes backand orders me out of the car. Fine. He then sees my (empty) holster and the leftover ammo on the seat and calls about a hundred other cops in for a weapons "complaint." They proceed to search me and my car - without permission - and go through all my gear, legally stored, in the trunk. They ask what I'm doing in town at all, what I need a high-powered rifle for, etc. I asked what they thought they needed guns for... back and forth. The original cop then ends up writing me a ticket for having a cracked windshield and thanks me for "cooperating about the gun thing," I guessfor not beating his ass over an illegal search. I was going to stop for lunch in town there, but it will be a while before I patronize any business there if these guys derive any of their income from the taxes I might have paid.

    This is not the first time I've been made unwelcome there. They seem to think any white guy from out of town is there for dope or hookers or whatever. The did mention that I had passed in front of a "known crack house." The residentswere not cited to my knowledge. Ticketing me at every occasion is apparently instrumental in winning the War on Drugs. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

    -ljp

  17. #17
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,441

    Post imported post

    So today, Monday, your filing a lawsuit, correct?

    Sad fact is that *people* have allowed them to get to be this way. Other *people* (you) will have to correct it or live with it. This is the position we are in in many areas. However, you might be surprised how much one lawsuit can do.


  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,882

    Post imported post

    I did call my lawyer pal and described the situation, and he said that all this civil-rights lawsuit stuff sounds glamorous - sticking it to city hall must be gratifying - but it doesn't play well in real life. Unless I can demonstrate that they deliberately targeted me for some extra-legal reason (being an ethnic minority), are guilty of systematic abuses beyond stopping traffic (torturing me for confessions), then it's going to break down to my word against theirs, and they have a valid traffic citation to show for it - even though the guy could not possibly have seen my windshield until after the stop. Being in a "high drug area" is not a sufficient basis for a search of one's person or vehicle and they know this, but I can't afford to take time off work for depositions and testifying and such - that's the reality. All I can do next time is just articulate very directly that I will not "cooperate" in any manner whatsoever, will not answer any questions, and will not submit to an arbitrary search, ******** weapon "complaint" or not (there had been no citizen's complaint made - the cop took it upon himself to check that I was "legally trasporting"my weapons only after seeing the hoslter, as if doing me a favor by checking that I was compliant). I'd be in custody now if the magazines had been loaded, that's for sure (I don't have a permit), but then knowing the law isn't everything, is it?

    If I end up having to go to court over this, I will most assuredly blow the dust off my Ice-T/Body Count tape and jam "Cop Killer" at full volume while rolling through warm, wonderful Dayton. Add a noise complaint to the charge sheet next time, jerks, or does exercising your 1st amendment rights rise to the level of a "terroristic threat" yet?

    -ljp


  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Columbus Area, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    43

    Post imported post

    HAHA. I have that CD or tape somewhere. Although I've changed my views towards law enforcement since that age of my life when I bought it.

    I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that they pulled you over or the fact that our country wastes so much money on fighting drugs that people will do anyway.

  20. #20
    Regular Member VAopencarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The 'Dena, Mаяуlaпd
    Posts
    2,147

    Post imported post

    OC is a deterrent or armored cars would be getting robbed every hour. By and large criminals are not looking for a shootout. An OC'er has something some criminals want. To that extent they may be 'targeted' but I believe there are only a select few that would try and rob an armed person.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Utah, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    I know I will be in the minority here for this but I think you are at a tactical disadvantage with open carry. (I open carry for political reasons) Depending on how the situation unfolds you have to decide whether or not to draw your weapon. In my experience people are painfully slow to notice the weapon. When the weapon is in plain viewand your attackersdominate the situation they will disarm youor you will have to draw at a disadvantage.I think you are at a better advantege with surprise. You can hold off deploying your weapon until the situation is ideal. I don't think the disadvantage is huge or overwhelming. It won't even matter for most people.

    Open carry does have a few tactical advantages. If those are the types of situations you are preparing for than that is ideal for you.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,882

    Post imported post

    I had thought that this thread died until I ran across the last response today. What can I say but 'wow'... Without enumerating responses to issues raised, let me just say that I'm glad that I don't live in the fascist shithole that you describe, Bite, where such police conduct is expected and submitted to as standard procedure. As for the disposition of the "case," I am to be fined $85 for the windshield violation. Serves me right for not being a crackhead or a whoremonger, I guess.

    -ljp

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    914

    Post imported post

    ONCE I have had someone demand my wallet. I placed my hand on the hafle of my OC'd Sig Sauer and release the retention strap. the bad guy ran like a bat out of hell. I guess he didn't notice it at first. Condition White crimminal I guess.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    251

    Post imported post

    daniel.call wrote:
    I know I will be in the minority here for this but I think you are at a tactical disadvantage with open carry. (I open carry for political reasons) Depending on how the situation unfolds you have to decide whether or not to draw your weapon. In my experience people are painfully slow to notice the weapon. When the weapon is in plain viewand your attackersdominate the situation they will disarm youor you will have to draw at a disadvantage.I think you are at a better advantege with surprise. You can hold off deploying your weapon until the situation is ideal. I don't think the disadvantage is huge or overwhelming. It won't even matter for most people.

    Open carry does have a few tactical advantages. If those are the types of situations you are preparing for than that is ideal for you.
    If you're OC'ing and you aren't aware enough of your surroundings that you know an armed crime is taking place before a BG identifies that you have a gun, you shouldn't be OC'ing.

    If I'm in a sketchy part of town, after I walk into a building and identify that a crime isn't currently occuring, I try position myself to have a view of the entrance and have my holster side away from the door. My alertness raises if any "hoodlum type" characters walk through the door.

    There's absolutely no reason a BG committing an armed act will notice you armed before you've completely drawn. That means you didn't do something correct before the situation got to that level. Unless, of course, he's wearing a suit and tie.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    914

    Post imported post

    Mr "Bite My Ass"

    You made some excellent points here, but from what I've seen: the paragative of most the people who frequent OC.org, is not the preservation of their constitutional right, it's "let's see if we can piss off a cop and sue him/her today..."

    I OC every day because I live in a ****** neighborhood. Cops understand that and don't bother me. Then again, I have never been arrested or given people reason to believe that I'm looking to get arrested. I carry on with my business and don't get into anyone else's. I'm 28 years old and quiet frankly, look like a no goodnick, but my demeanor proves otherwise.

    ~Bravo Sierra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •