• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many of you have been "targets" while OC'ing?

How often are you attacked when you are OC'ing?

• I get attacked every time I leave the house.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I get attacked often.

• I have been attacked once.

• I have never been attacked.

• Are you kidding? Bad Guys will run the other way if they see I'm armed.

• Total voters

daniel.call

imported post

I know I will be in the minority here for this but I think you are at a tactical disadvantage with open carry. (I open carry for political reasons) Depending on how the situation unfolds you have to decide whether or not to draw your weapon. In my experience people are painfully slow to notice the weapon. When the weapon is in plain viewand your attackersdominate the situation they will disarm youor you will have to draw at a disadvantage.I think you are at a better advantege with surprise. You can hold off deploying your weapon until the situation is ideal. I don't think the disadvantage is huge or overwhelming. It won't even matter for most people.

Open carry does have a few tactical advantages. If those are the types of situations you are preparing for than that is ideal for you.

Legba

imported post

I had thought that this thread died until I ran across the last response today. What can I say but 'wow'... Without enumerating responses to issues raised, let me just say that I'm glad that I don't live in the fascist shithole that you describe, Bite, where such police conduct is expected and submitted to as standard procedure. As for the disposition of the "case," I am to be fined $85 for the windshield violation. Serves me right for not being a crackhead or a whoremonger, I guess.

-ljp

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

ONCE I have had someone demand my wallet. I placed my hand on the hafle of my OC'd Sig Sauer and release the retention strap. the bad guy ran like a bat out of hell. I guess he didn't notice it at first. Condition White crimminal I guess.

nickerj1

imported post

daniel.call wrote:
I know I will be in the minority here for this but I think you are at a tactical disadvantage with open carry. (I open carry for political reasons) Depending on how the situation unfolds you have to decide whether or not to draw your weapon. In my experience people are painfully slow to notice the weapon. When the weapon is in plain viewand your attackersdominate the situation they will disarm youor you will have to draw at a disadvantage.I think you are at a better advantege with surprise. You can hold off deploying your weapon until the situation is ideal. I don't think the disadvantage is huge or overwhelming. It won't even matter for most people.

Open carry does have a few tactical advantages. If those are the types of situations you are preparing for than that is ideal for you.

If you're OC'ing and you aren't aware enough of your surroundings that you know an armed crime is taking place before a BG identifies that you have a gun, you shouldn't be OC'ing.

If I'm in a sketchy part of town, after I walk into a building and identify that a crime isn't currently occuring, I try position myself to have a view of the entrance and have my holster side away from the door. My alertness raises if any "hoodlum type" characters walk through the door.

There's absolutely no reason a BG committing an armed act will notice you armed before you've completely drawn. That means you didn't do something correct before the situation got to that level. Unless, of course, he's wearing a suit and tie.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Mr "Bite My Ass"

You made some excellent points here, but from what I've seen: the paragative of most the people who frequent OC.org, is not the preservation of their constitutional right, it's "let's see if we can piss off a cop and sue him/her today..."

I OC every day because I live in a shitty neighborhood. Cops understand that and don't bother me. Then again, I have never been arrested or given people reason to believe that I'm looking to get arrested. I carry on with my business and don't get into anyone else's. I'm 28 years old and quiet frankly, look like a no goodnick, but my demeanor proves otherwise.

~Bravo Sierra

AbNo

imported post

The closest to "attacked" was when some crazy woman started screeching at and trying to provoke me while I was looking for steel plates at a Tractor Supply Co. store.

So I voted once.

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have been verbally attacked while OC'ing. Mostly by people moving to Az from CA. I need to make up shirts saying " Ask Me about your Arizona gun rights" and " I see you looking at my side arm, ask me how you can carry one to" Anyone want to go in on some????

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

dreamcro wrote:
I have been verbally attacked while OC'ing. Mostly by people moving to Az from CA. I need to make up shirts saying " Ask Me about your Arizona gun rights" and " I see you looking at my side arm, ask me how you can carry one to" Anyone want to go in on some????

I have a GREAT t-shirt design a friend worked up.

I'll post the details as soon as he finalizes the design and I get permission from him :celebrate

AbNo

imported post

dreamcro wrote:

"ask me how to carry one too" :D

Sounds good.

possumboy

imported post

I've hadfew incidents that were resolved by the other person seeing my gun.

I only think one would have been more that ego and verbal threats. The one I think would have been more, crashed trying to get away from me and not looking before exiting the parking lot on route 1. I don't really know what his problem was with me, I don't speak Spanish. The LEOs that show up say he thought I was looking at his woman.

So, does that count has an attack. It stopped an attack before it happened. My gun prevented an attack, not making me a target! Thus, making me no longer a target.

Now, there are a few of us that have been a target of stupidity and pettiness - take the park director of Burke Lake for an example.

Agent6-3/8

imported post

daniel.call wrote:

I have to agree. For the most part, when going about my daily routines, I prefer to keep my gun concealed. For me, OC is usually reserved for hiking and the shooting range.

USN_MA1

imported post

No issues while carrying but one. It was CC though. I am quite sure that is the only thing that saved the situation.

Dumbass punk late teens early twenties maybe tried to confront me with my wife(pregnant at the time). I just dismissed it and told him he didn't want to make that mistake. Had I been unarmed then who knows if I would have had the restraint.

Just like anything else, I don't look for trouble. If it finds me, well, it would only be polite tomake sure it had a good time.

AbNo

imported post

possumboy wrote:
I've had few incidents that were resolved by the other person seeing my gun.

I only think one would have been more that ego and verbal threats.  The one I think would have been more,  crashed trying to get away from me and not looking before exiting the parking lot on route 1.  I don't really know what his problem was with me, I don't speak Spanish.  The LEOs that show up say he thought I was looking at his woman.

So, does that count has an attack.  It stopped an attack before it happened.  My gun prevented an attack, not making me a target!  Thus, making me no longer a target.

Now, there are a few of us that have been a target of stupidity and pettiness - take the park director of Burke Lake for an example.

Yep! It occured violence upon your person and your property, therefore, you were saved/spared any (additional) hardships for carrying! :celebrate