• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many of you have been "targets" while OC'ing?

How often are you attacked when you are OC'ing?

• I get attacked every time I leave the house.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I get attacked often.

• I have been attacked once.

• I have never been attacked.

• Are you kidding? Bad Guys will run the other way if they see I'm armed.

• Total voters

gregma

imported post

I keep hearing over and over and over how Open carrying will make you a "target". For some reason BG's from miles around will come right at you and take you out. That seems to be the #1 reason CCW only carriers think those who OC are ill advised.

Ok, so, how many of you have been "targeted" by bad guys?

Also, anyone have any stats, or anything to prove/dis-prove the "targeting"?

Thanks!
Greg

MamaLiberty

imported post

Some of my friends (who live in big cities) have been yelling at me about this, but I'm not in any real danger in rural Wyoming. We don't have much of a criminal element to start with - but we do have the occasional wolf or mountain lion.

I suspect it is a good possibility in a big city, however.

The theory goes: the gang bangers will see your weapon and a group of them will get together and relieve you of it... leaving you alive if you are lucky.

Most of us wouldn't prevail against a large group of criminals intent on robbing us, of course. But the answer to that seems to be to stay away from where that could be a problem, carry concealed if one must go to such a place, and/or never go into such an area alone.

Life is risky. Being unarmed is much more so, wherever you are.

Common sense is the thing to rely on.

Flowmaster

imported post

i have been assaulted, but never while open carrying. i open carry for my own protection, to avoid being a target.

i usually try to open carry with someone else who's also carrying, not by myself. i'd hate to be in a situation where i get pepper sprayed and someone takes my gun away from me. with another person there who's also armed, i think i look like less of a target.

usmc_recon

imported post

I concealed carry about 80% of the time and open carry 20% of the time. I work in the inner city and I just don't think anyone is going to go after someone open carrying. For one thing, it is stupid to attack someone who has a weapon. Secondly, I believe that most people who see me open carrying, think I must be law enforcement of some kind. I don't see too many people attack policemen, so I don't think too many are going to attack OC'ers.

Someone would have to be on drugs/alcohol and/or seriously aggressive to attack someone with a weapon. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it certainly is going to happen much less to someone open carrying than the general public.

danbus

imported post

I just pretend I'm wearing a shirt that says "Black Man with a Gun". That usually keeps BGs away. :p

No, I've never been a target. I pray no one else becomes one.

unrequited

imported post

I had the weirdest dream last night that I was at a mall looking for my ladyfriend who was shopping when Paris Hilton & Nicole Richie came in to tear up the place because she didn't want to go to jail. She pulled a gun and I had to hold her at gunpoint (no shots fired by any party) until cops arrived. HAH. Stupid dreams are the result of leaving CNN on the sleep mode for my TV before I drift off.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I think some of you so far have misinterpretted the point of why some say cc is a better way to carry than openly.

It is not that just because you have a firearm, and for that reason alone, people will travel from afar to come and attack you and steal your weapon.

Wearing it openly may deter a crime in a lot of cases, but if the act is being commited and they did not notice or see your firearm, but they see it while they are in the middle of the act, they would most likely go after you first, as you are the immediate threat to them.

I don't really think it matters where you live either, it only needs to happen once.

Personal opinion I guess, I oc everywhere, never cc'd, but I understand why they say what they say about it.

usmc_recon

imported post

I guess. Maybe like Robert DeNiro's bank robbery team in the movie "Heat" or something.

So you mean a crime is occuring and this imaginary OC'er is just chilling with the weapon still on his hip. Then the criminals do a thorough and exhaustive search of their hostages and discover the OC'er just chilling with gun not drawn.

That sure seems like some pretty smart and thorough criminals. But I just see very low percentage chance of all those events unfolding like that. However, I do see your point in that the OC'er may need to react more quickly.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

danbus wrote:
I just pretend I'm wearing a shirt that says "Black Man with a Gun". That usually keeps BGs away. :p

Ooh, that hurt.:p

Sorry danbus, my graphics software gives me a headache when I try to set up the white text on a black shirt - which I think would look best. I have to make the background image transparent and size it just right so that Cafe Press can print it correctly.

I'll get it worked out yet. :) What size do you wear?

LoveMyCountry

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

unrequited wrote:
I had the weirdest dream last night that I was at a mall looking for my ladyfriend who was shopping when Paris Hilton & Nicole Richie came in to tear up the place because she didn't want to go to jail. She pulled a gun and I had to hold her at gunpoint (no shots fired by any party) until cops arrived. HAH. Stupid dreams are the result of leaving CNN on the sleep mode for my TV before I drift off.

I am fairly confident that if I were to havea dream about Paris Hilton & Nicole Richie, it would be very different from that one. :p

LoveMyCountry

danbus

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
danbus wrote:

Ooh, that hurt.:p

Sorry danbus, my graphics software gives me a headache when I try to set up the white text on a black shirt - which I think would look best. I have to make the background image transparent and size it just right so that Cafe Press can print it correctly.

I'll get it worked out yet. :) What size do you wear?

LoveMyCountry

XL :)

OMG, I just noticed that someone voted "I get attacked everytime I leave the house". FFS, who voted that???

gregma

imported post

danbus wrote:
OMG, I just noticed that someone voted "I get attacked everytime I leave the house". FFS, who voted that???

Probably a protest vote, or just a "smart-a$$" vote. Otherwise I would recommend that person never leave the house without a bodyguard! LOL

Thanks!
Greg

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

gregma wrote:
danbus wrote:

Probably a protest vote, or just a "smart-a$$" vote. Otherwise I would recommend that person never leave the house without a bodyguard! LOL

Thanks!
Greg

Are they making these in Kevlar now? :p

LoveMyCountry

gregma

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
gregma wrote:
danbus wrote:

Thanks!
Greg

Are they making these in Kevlar now? :p

LoveMyCountry
You don't need *those* made out of kevlar. The same powers that keep the radio waves out, keep the bullets out as well. I think it has to do with temporal displacement... :lol:

Thanks!
Greg

Legba

imported post

I don't know how the "bad guys" feel about it, but I do know that the police went out of their way to be jerks with me yesterday. I was driving through Dayton after a morning at Spring Valley range, and was almost immediately pulled over. The cop gets my license and insurance stuff and runs it, comes backand orders me out of the car. Fine. He then sees my (empty) holster and the leftover ammo on the seat and calls about a hundred other cops in for a weapons "complaint." They proceed to search me and my car - without permission - and go through all my gear, legally stored, in the trunk. They ask what I'm doing in town at all, what I need a high-powered rifle for, etc. I asked what they thought they needed guns for... back and forth. The original cop then ends up writing me a ticket for having a cracked windshield and thanks me for "cooperating about the gun thing," I guessfor not beating his ass over an illegal search. I was going to stop for lunch in town there, but it will be a while before I patronize any business there if these guys derive any of their income from the taxes I might have paid.

This is not the first time I've been made unwelcome there. They seem to think any white guy from out of town is there for dope or hookers or whatever. The did mention that I had passed in front of a "known crack house." The residentswere not cited to my knowledge. Ticketing me at every occasion is apparently instrumental in winning the War on Drugs. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

-ljp

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

So today, Monday, your filing a lawsuit, correct?

Sad fact is that *people* have allowed them to get to be this way. Other *people* (you) will have to correct it or live with it. This is the position we are in in many areas. However, you might be surprised how much one lawsuit can do.

Legba

imported post

I did call my lawyer pal and described the situation, and he said that all this civil-rights lawsuit stuff sounds glamorous - sticking it to city hall must be gratifying - but it doesn't play well in real life. Unless I can demonstrate that they deliberately targeted me for some extra-legal reason (being an ethnic minority), are guilty of systematic abuses beyond stopping traffic (torturing me for confessions), then it's going to break down to my word against theirs, and they have a valid traffic citation to show for it - even though the guy could not possibly have seen my windshield until after the stop. Being in a "high drug area" is not a sufficient basis for a search of one's person or vehicle and they know this, but I can't afford to take time off work for depositions and testifying and such - that's the reality. All I can do next time is just articulate very directly that I will not "cooperate" in any manner whatsoever, will not answer any questions, and will not submit to an arbitrary search, bullshit weapon "complaint" or not (there had been no citizen's complaint made - the cop took it upon himself to check that I was "legally trasporting"my weapons only after seeing the hoslter, as if doing me a favor by checking that I was compliant). I'd be in custody now if the magazines had been loaded, that's for sure (I don't have a permit), but then knowing the law isn't everything, is it?

If I end up having to go to court over this, I will most assuredly blow the dust off my Ice-T/Body Count tape and jam "Cop Killer" at full volume while rolling through warm, wonderful Dayton. Add a noise complaint to the charge sheet next time, jerks, or does exercising your 1st amendment rights rise to the level of a "terroristic threat" yet?

-ljp

usmc_recon

imported post

HAHA. I have that CD or tape somewhere. Although I've changed my views towards law enforcement since that age of my life when I bought it.

I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that they pulled you over or the fact that our country wastes so much money on fighting drugs that people will do anyway.

VAopencarry

imported post

OC is a deterrent or armored cars would be getting robbed every hour. By and large criminals are not looking for a shootout. An OC'er has something some criminals want. To that extent they may be 'targeted' but I believe there are only a select few that would try and rob an armed person.