• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carjacker Crossdraw

Mainsail

imported post

Opinions on this holster for OC? I like the look and it seems like it would put the weapon in a good spot. I'm not comfortable with my holster at my 3-o-clock because I cannot see who might be behind me.

Thoughts?

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

It is the most accessible holster when your are driving, but it might look like a giant belt buckle while walking. :p

Looking at the picture, it appears that the grip of your weapon might start pressing on your gun during a long drive.

LoveMyCountry

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

drawing with his finger on the trigger (A GREAT WAY to take one to the abdomen or the nads.......oh that would suck!.....IMO) :banghead:!

happy carrying

jason

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

i think you would look like a terrorist if you walked around like that, but for at a desk or in a car like it says, it is probably very comfortable

gsh341

imported post

I bought a custom made cross-draw that is similar to the carjacker. I like it a lot because I can wear it comfortably while driving and it keeps my pistol in front of me where I can keep control of it or draw it easily while seated.

If someone wants to try and get my pistol they will have to approach from the front so I can see them. If they come from behind or the right side they have toreach across my body to get to it and I should have plenty of time to retain my weapon.

In both cases I will have my strong hand available to fight them off.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
It is the most accessible holster when your are driving, but it might look like a giant belt buckle while walking. :p

Looking at the picture, it appears that the grip of your weapon might start pressing on your gun during a long drive.

LoveMyCountry

I had to re-read that thinking there was a typo...then I got it :D

I don't think it looks bad. I say you should buy it and let us know whatcha think!

Tomahawk

imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
drawing with his finger on the trigger (A GREAT WAY to take one to the abdomen or the nads.......oh that would suck!.....IMO) :banghead:!

happy carrying

jason
Yeah, that kills me, too. And on an ad for a holster, no less. I see people fingering triggers on strange guns they just met at gun shows all the time. Without clearing the gun they just pick it up off the table with their fingers on the triggers. Sure, the guns have zip-ties through the actions, but I suspect that the offenders are not thinking, they are just exercising their bad habits.

unrequited

imported post

I'll tell you from driving from Alexandria to Orlando (with a minor glove compartment carry in SC), the only way to carry in a vehicle is Shoulder Holster. It's so comfortable because no weight is on your shoulders because you're sitting and the straps take all the weight. Like butter, and I'm sure you could draw underarm to the window just as quick. Any lap-belt might interfere with this holster.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The only problem with cross draw and shoulder holsters is that in order to bring the weapon to bear, you have to sweep the area with the muzzle. This puts people in that sweep area at risk should you have an accidental discharge.

Of course proper technique should reduce this risk, but only if sufficient practice is done so that proper technique is from muscle memory and not active thought. Active thought can easily be compromised in the confusion of an actual gun fight.

A holster carried at the 3:00, may temporarily point the muzzle slightly to the rear of the shooter, but still at the ground, and the sweep during the draw is always aimed at the ground, rising toward the intended target.

I hope you are not left handed. If you are, I suspect you will be riding alone a lot if any firearms savvy people notice your holster.

All that aside, I suspect that this cross draw would be comfortable, so long as you have a rather flat front side. I am afraid for me those days have past, and the hammer spur would likely become a real naval irritant.

Regards

doug23838

imported post

I have to give this a qualified "no" vote. Qualified in that if driving were the only time you'd use it, it would be more acceptable. I don't think it would be practical for pedestrian OC.

While I know nothing of your particular skill or training, I generally regard cross-draw as something more for those highly trained. When engaging a target at your 12:00 position, (the bad guy is in front of you) and wearing your firearm cross-draw style, there is considerable muzzle sweep of non targets. My objective is to draw and engage the threat and minimize the risk exposure to non targets. Cross draw is handy for those who think the threat may arise when they are seated.

The nature of this holster presumes that its wearer would have a gun at the ready already pointed "down range" for the car jacker. What if the car jacker entered ( attempted to enter) from the passenger side? Now your muzzle is pointed left, and the threat is to your right. I suppose a quick exit and weak side pivot would re-orient you on the BG and allow you to engage. How would seat belts / shoulder restraints impede your ability to draw the gun and get on target? Or exit the vehicle?

If I were to OC cross-draw I'd consider the "sky cop" rigs that I understand the air marshals use.

Drewesque

imported post

Crossdraw doesn't take all that much practice to minimize muzzle sweep. I find that a draw that keeps the muzzle pointed pretty low until it's on target is fairly natural. Like most things of this nature, your mileage may vary.

That said, I'm not completely sure I like the belt attachment method on this particular holster. While it is very convenient, I tend to think twice about something made with ease of removal in mind. It seems as though it would wear out faster than the holster and could lead to some less than fantastic situations.

It looks like a pretty good holster from a reputable company. If you like the angle, look, and features, it's a fair price for a good holster. If you just think it might be good enough, though, you're paying for another one for the holster box.

Basic Guy

imported post

[align=left]A long time ago I came to realize that due to my abnormal physical structure the standard waist holster wouldn’t do it for me. My arms are way too long for my torso and just placing my hand on a pistol in a standard IWB holster puts my elbow above my shoulder. Trying to draw said pistol puts my elbow higher than my ear. Very awkward.[/align]
[align=left]So about 20 years ago I came to realize that the cross draw holster was the best solution for me.[/align]
[align=left]My draw sequence from the cross draw starts with grasping the grip, drawing straight from the holster with the thumb of the support hand contacting the top of the thumb of the firing hand at about the time the muzzle clears the holster.[/align]
[align=left]At this point the pistol is pointed at the ground at a point just to the left of my left foot. I then swing the pistol towards the target by rotating my forearm (not by swinging my forearm). The pistol’s point of aim follows a straight line on the ground between the point by my left foot right to the target. As I do this the thumb of the supporting hand follows the thumb of the shooting hand.[/align]

[align=left]At this point the pistol is pointed either at the target or at the ground just in front of it. Next, I present the pistol by extending both arms, twisting the shooting hand into the supporting hand which is wrapping itself around the shooting hand as I am disengaging the safety and acquiring my sights.[/align]

[align=left]I’m not sure how this works for most people – I have been doing it for a couple decades to where it feels natural and even comfortable.[/align]

[align=left]As for this particular holster – I’d rather have a regular cross draw with the grip a little higher and with a standard belt attachment. I usually wear mine a bit further to the left. It leaves the muzzle pointing off the edge of my seat and in this position the seat belt runs over the holster but under the pistol grip.

[/align]

ARod

imported post

Really sort of a clever idea but something that I've noticed that no one has mentioned here is a seat belt. I donk know about elsewhere but the seatbelt laws here in WA are a pretty strict $111 fine per occupant. Once a seatbelt comes into play the holster becomes useless it would ride right over the gun, if you were to put the belt below the holster in an accident you'd probabally end up taking out your spleen!

My personal preference for driving is a shoulder rig and awareness of my surroundings.

spurrit

imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:

happy carrying

jason
The Sig 220 has a very heavy double action trigger.

thnycav

imported post

"Once a seat-belt comes into play the holster becomes useless it would ride right over the gun, if you were to put the belt below the holster in an accident you'd probabally end up taking out your spleen! "

I did notice the seat-belt interference problem as well. What might be a solution to that would be to put the holster on the seat belt when you are driving and have another one for out of the car. If you left the empty holster on the seat-belt it might make someone think twice about breaking in your car.

tarzan1888

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Opinions on this holster for OC? I like the look and it seems like it would put the weapon in a good spot. I'm not comfortable with my holster at my 3-o-clock because I cannot see who might be behind me.

Thoughts?
I have a similar holster that can be worn in a cross draw configuration in the middle of your stomach or further to the left on your hip. Ok for awhile, but it soon starts to bother me.

I drive a lot and after awhile anything on you waist gets un-comfortable. I have found a shoulder holster to work quite well for this. Same cross draw principle, but not on your belt.

Just a thought

Tarzan

MetalChris

imported post

spurrit wrote:
KodiakISGOOD wrote:

happy carrying

jason
The Sig 220 has a very heavy double action trigger.
Yeah, so I guess that makes it ok. :p