• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Elderly guy angered by open carry

SFCAdamsYG

imported post

My friend and I went to walmart the other day and I didn't OC in cause we were kinda in a hurry (didn't have time to talk about it to people)so I just put my pistol in a bbs holster in my cargo pocket in my pants (I have a ccw permit). when we left I put myOTW holster back on and put my pistol in it and we left without issue. Now, a few days later my friend was at a Diner taht we frequent and this elderly guy started givin himhell because "his friend scared the hell out of him and his wife when he put his pistol in his holster" now, I don't believe that I did anything wrong, but if I did would someone be so kind as to point it out to me? Thanks.

~Teach

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

You should feel good about what you did! There is just too much Hell in people these days, so if you can scare some of it out of them, please do so.

:cool:

Really though, whatcan you expect from sheep?

From another direction he felt the sensation of being a sheep startled by a flying saucer, but it was virtually indistinguishable from the feeling of being a sheep startled by anything else it ever encountered, for they were creatures who learned very little on their journey through life, and would be startled to see the sun rising in the morning, and astonished by all the green stuff in the fields.

Douglas Adams

LoveMyCountry

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SFCAdamsYG wrote:
My friend and I went to walmart the other day and I didn't OC in cause we were kinda in a hurry (didn't have time to talk about it to people)so I just put my pistol in a bbs holster in my cargo pocket in my pants (I have a ccw permit). when we left I put myOTW holster back on and put my pistol in it and we left without issue. Now, a few days later my friend was at a Diner taht we frequent and this elderly guy started givin himhell because "his friend scared the hell out of him and his wife when he put his pistol in his holster" now, I don't believe that I did anything wrong, but if I did would someone be so kind as to point it out to me? Thanks.

~Teach

I can't quite follow the exact sequence of your narrative.

I do strongly recommend against handling your firearm administratively in public. First, there is the safety concerns.Also, there are too many opportunities for witnesses to misinterpret your actions or embellish by "claiming"that you pointed it at someone, waved it, made a threatening comment, etc. When the police arrive, you are going to have, at a minimum,whatFourth Amendmentcase lawcalls a brief, minimally intrusive, investigatory detention based onarticulable facts.

Hadley

imported post

:D I work as the supervisor of security in a large private community in the poconos. recently i received a "man with gun call". The complaintant said his neighbor was walking around his own property up the street with a gun on. I spoke to the gun wielding neighbor, a local businessman with a ltcf. He was sorry that he got his neighbor upset. Turns out the complaintant is from N.J. and has no understanding of PA gun laws. I did my best to explain to him that o.c. is o.k. in PA. He just insisted that it was illegal . I gave him some web sites to look at like packing.org. I hope it will help.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Hadley wrote:
:D I work as the supervisor of security in a large private community in the poconos. recently i received a "man with gun call". The complaintant said his neighbor was walking around his own property up the street with a gun on. I spoke to the gun wielding neighbor, a local businessman with a ltcf. He was sorry that he got his neighbor upset. Turns out the complaintant is from N.J. and has no understanding of PA gun laws. I did my best to explain to him that o.c. is o.k. in PA. He just insisted that it was illegal . I gave him some web sites to look at like packing.org. I hope it will help.

Just tell the NJ guy that the PA guy was looking out for the best interests of a certain member of a certain family and it would be unfortunate if someone were to bring undo attention to said family. You's guys know what I mean? :cool:

LoveMyCountry

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
Just tell the NJ guy that the PA guy was looking out for the best interests of a certain member of a certain family and it would be unfortunate if someone were to bring undo attention to said family. You's guys know what I mean? :cool:
Is this before or after he makes him an offer he can't refuse?

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
Hadley wrote:

LoveMyCountry

There's no such thing...I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm in the Waste Management business....

TheJordTrain

imported post

SFCAdamsYG wrote:
My friend and I went to walmart the other day and I didn't OC in

so I just put my pistol in a... cargo pocket in my pants

when we left I put myOTW holster back on and put my pistol in it

"his friend scared the hell out of him and his wife when he put his pistol in his holster"

The elderly guy was angered by you drawing your gun. Especially whipping it out outta nowhere. Depending on what camp of defense you come from ("One warning" or "if it comes out it comes out smoking") what you did could be faux pas or an outright act of recklessness.

You'd certainly get MY attention.

Next time I'd humbly suggest (EDIT: was 'waiting in' should've been 'doing it in') the car?

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

TheJordTrain wrote:
SFCAdamsYG wrote:

"his friend scared the hell out of him and his wife when he put his pistol in his holster"

The elderly guy was angered by you drawing your gun. Especially whipping it out outta nowhere. Depending on what camp of defense you come from ("One warning" or "if it comes out it comes out smoking") what you did could be faux pas or an outright act of recklessness.

Next time I'd humbly suggest waiting in the car?

Who said he "whipped it out"? He took it from a cargo pocket and put it on his hip. The elderlyguy would likely have been just as freaked if SFCAdamsYG had been wearing it on his hiptheentire time.

In some parts of the country, people of different races make others fearful or uncomfortable. Would you suggest that they wait in the car?

Some people find our Civil Rights to bedecidedly uncivilized.

LoveMyCountry

vermonter

imported post

I am so sick of people from New Jersey. It's not just the gun laws. They have moved to Vermont in droves and now we have HUGE amounts of litter on I-89 around Burlington. Before they started moving up 10 years ago we had a few local kids who smoked pot. Now there are inner city crack and heroin dealers all over downtown Burlington. Coincidently they arrived with the people from NJ. Getting back to the gun thing, they are trying to ban guns in Vermont now. I guess they want to protect their simian friends selling drugs. Here is what they are defending:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061024/NEWS01/610240313/1009

Lambisis was from New Jersey.

gregma

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
TheJordTrain wrote:
SFCAdamsYG wrote:
so I just put my pistol in a bbs holster in my cargo pocket in my pants'

'when we left I put myOTW holster back on and put my pistol in it

Who said he "whipped it out"? He took it from a cargo pocket and put it on his hip. The elderlyguy would likely have been just as freaked if SFCAdamsYG had been wearing it on his hiptheentire time.
Unless I'm misreading what the OP said, what I read is:

1. He put his OTW holster back on.
2. He took the firearm still inside the "bbs holster" out of his cargo pants.
3. He took the firearm OUT of the "bbs holster".
4. He placed his firearm in the OTW holster.

This to me says he unholstered his firearm in public. And although I'd use different words, it is tantamount to "whipping it out". This is a very bad thing to do! If I had seen someone unholster a firearm in a store I would be quite unhappy myself! IMNSHO

Thanks!
Greg

TheJordTrain

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
TheJordTrain wrote:
SFCAdamsYG wrote:

Next time I'd humbly suggest waiting in the car?

In some parts of the country, people of different races make others fearful or uncomfortable. Would you suggest that they wait in the car?

Some people find our Civil Rights to bedecidedly uncivilized.

LoveMyCountry

Unholstering and reholstering his gun in the car. I dunno why I wrote 'stayed in'. I'll go edit it.

I wonder if he would have been freaked, had OP walked around with it on his hip the whole time. Sure it would've been visible, but it would've been holstered.

Just playing the devil's advocate here..

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

gregma wrote:
LoveMyCountry wrote:
Careful, he's whipping it out! Don't look Ethel!! :shock:

LoveMyCountry
Amazing rebuttal! I'm speechless. *sigh*

Thanks!
Greg

Didn't seem to be a point in rebutting.Some of us think that it wasn't any big deal - while others seem to think thatthe one second the gun was in his handwas a threat to national security.

I was simply expressing my humorous view of "whipping it out". Ethel liked it. :p

LoveMyCountry

SFCAdamsYG

imported post

ok, lol, the bbs holster stayed in the pocket and at the position i was standing from where he said he was he most likely didnt see me actually put it in the holster as it was relatively dark where i was standing and i was behind a car door getting ready to get in. BUT! in the event he did, and it is waht caused the anger i truly am sorry, not so much for what i did but that the world today feels that it needs to be afraid of every possible thing that could be a danger, I wonder if he saw some guy at lowes buy a metal pipe and fertalizer if he'd freak... i bet not, but that could potentially be just as dangerous. I learned my lesson tho, I'll just OC and NOT touch my weapon at alland thats the end, lol. but atleast Ethel didnt freak. Thank you everyone!