• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Styles and Mexican Carry

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Actually, you did not irritate me at all. While I disagree with a lot of what you are saying, I don't take any of this personally. But you did start by saying you wanted peoples opinions on this subject. If you don't want the answer please don't ask the question.

It happens that I carry a 629 fairly often, both OC and CC. Now I will admit that I am 6'3" and 200 pounds, so maybe if you are a lot smaller than that you might have a problem carrying one. My wife also carries this same firearms some times and she is only 5'7" and about 140 lbs. It causes her no problem at all either OC or CC. I use a Galco pancake for this purpose and the gun is held high and tight at my 3:00. It conceals under even a tee shirt, so I guess I really don't see your problem with a holster.

Based on your description, you spend a lot of time concentrating on retention. Every second of that time is a diversion from your situational awareness. Having to place your hand on the gun often to verify and secure it defeats any attempt at concealment. If you cannot do a forward roll and retain the weapon without any special steps to do so, your carry method does not pass the retention tests that are the standard. Moreover, every time you grab the grip, you risk someone misinterpreting your actions, with the possibility of disastrous results.

As to convenience of putting the thing on, it takes me all of 30 seconds to put on a proper holster for the same gun you mention. Now as I said i have put the gun in my back pocket and even tucked it in my belt or put it in my front pocket for short carry periods. But I would never consider this for any kind of public carry for extended periods of time. Now mine is a 3" so this is really a bit better than a longer barrel would be.

The fact is that you will drop the gun at some point. No matter what you say, when that happens you are depending 100% on the hardware to prevent an AD. In your original post you said -

While some models like 1911's are more suited to being carried in a holster, they will not discharge if dropped. Carrying my S&W 629 5" barrel Mexican, it will not go off in my pants.

So please excuse me for the assumption that you are depending on the mechanical elements of the weapon to prevent an AD. I admit I suffer from the ability to read. I would like to know where this miracle of a weapon that cannot be fired inside a pair of pants can be bought. I also presume that what you meant to say was that if dropped the gun will not "LIKELY' go off, and that this would be accomplished through a superior mindset and not a dependance on the mechanics of the weapon.

If it is in a holster and you drop it, the gun is cushioned from impact, the hammer in most holsters is covered, and in any case the trigger is covered. The covered trigger prevents getting caught in clothes or anything else.

Clearly, while I may have spent more time explaining to you why Mexican carry is a bad idea than others here, my view on this is not unique. Nor is that view based on an unreasonable view of the issues. When you know more about accidental shooting you will see that a significant number are the result of upholstered carry. As I said, eventually the trigger will catch on your cloths as you push the gun in your belt, or you will shove it in with your finger in the wrong place due to being distracted. Or you will drop the gun and the trigger will hit an object and fire the gun.

Before the redesign of the S&W internal action parts in the 1940's you could set one off by dropping it on the hammer. A sailor was killed that way and the FBI researched the cause of the death which spurred a redesign of the action. Before that these revolvers were considered absolutely safe if dropped.

So from my point of view you can do what you want. If I see you around me, using Mexican Carry, I will get as far from you as I can. Eventually the safety problem you pose will correct itself, and I do not want to be around you when it does. It is a lot of paperwork and I have better things to do than that.

Regards

ColtPistols

imported post

I think I have been convinced to carry one of my other handguns in a holster for now. I still have to get around to taking pictures of some of my different rigs to post and get comments on wether it is unreasonable to open carry with such leather, or such weapon, or such grips. Are people really limited to carrying just stock handguns and leather or will too many spare magazines or too big a firearm or too scary grips "scare" bystanders? Also is it really necessary to try to appease others when open carrying? We already know that some people will be slightly offended even though extreme reactions are very rare. So can I trick out a 1911 with wicked grips without detracting from the open carry community? Can I carry a tech 9 in a shoulder holster (never liked one, and I don't have one anyway, but just curious), while still promoting a responsible non-threatening open carry image? Many in the gun community, especially law enforcement go so far as to say that 1911's shouldn't be carried openly because the cocked-and-locked image presents a hostile ever-tactical threatening image. I strongly disagree with that one, but if that is the case than what are the effects of carrying IPSC gear (don't really do IPSC either), and what not? I'm going to guess that especially for the 1911 issue, the only people offended would be people who already know a little about weapons, but not enough to know the safety features and the design of the weapon. Same with the other issues...I'm going to guess that anyone who would be frightened, or a little nervous around someone with too many spare magazines, or wicked grips, or an "assault weapon" looking thing would probably be almost as nervous around firearms in general and it probably can't be avoided. In other countries like Israel their gear, while highly tactical, presents an ever-ready image, rather than always threatening. I don't know if Americans are ready for that yet, except maybe in some of the rural areas I'm used to. Just like open carry desensitizes people to firearms in daily view, will carrying more ammo, bigger handguns, nfa weapons, or exotic grips or holsters desensitize people that it is not certain firearms that are criminal, but rather certain people? Any ideas? Maybe I should start a new post?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It is not necessary to appease others when the only concern is aesthetics. It IS necessary if the issue is safety related. Now there is some variation on that.

A lot of people do not consider condition 1 carry of 1911 style pistols to be safe. With proper training and discipline in handling, it is as safe as any revolver. Arguably, it may be safer.

The point is that it does not matter what it LOOKS like it matters what it IS.

Now if the purpose of a particular form of carry is simply to "get a rise" out of someone, from my point of view that is wrong. If a person has a reason for what they are doing that makes sense for them that is fine, so long as it is safe. But in most cases what one person considers safe may differ from the next guys view. For me that means not being around things I do not view as safe. For others it means taking action to stop the behavior.

Regards

ColtPistols

imported post

Many times before I have heard that for open carry, one should dress nicely, clean cut, etc as well as only carry appropriate handguns and gear. There are a few reasons why people have told me not too carry certain rigs and gear:
I. It’s impractical
II. It’s unnecessary
III. It presents a tactical offensive image rather than a defensive image
IV. It’s important to represent the gun community as responsible and not a bunch of crazy…
V. It’s just showing off

Well, I am not so sure about those reasons but let me know what you think about one’s duty to represent the gun community as stamped out white collar clean cut types that only carry palatable weapons. I kinda think its ok to carry unique equipment for several reasons.

I. My idea of practical isn’t for anyone else to judge, I carry what I think I need.
II. Necessity of caliber or amount of ammunition is determined after the incident.
III. Image represented, while certainly affected by appearance and gear, is more strongly determined by the wearer’s demeanor and over-all actions.
IV. I’m not a stamped out white-collar standard pistol and holster kinda guy, but I consider myself very responsible, and a friendly, non-threatening representation of the gun-community.
V. Even if I don’t need[/i] to carry that much ammo or that caliber/style weapon, who does it really hurt other than people that are probably already strong advocates for concealed carry exclusivity anyway? If I lose all respect for responsibly, safely displaying my style of weaponry and gear than I think the gun-community might have used too much stamped out factory produced images of what the gun-wearer should look like. My idea is that the open-carry should be safe, responsible, probably as friendly as possible, and that is about all that should be required.

I tried to attach a picture but it says file was too large. Anyway I carry sometimes a Para-Ordnance P-14 .45ACP in a vertical leather shoulder holster that holds four spare magazines on the off side, somtimes a Beretta 96 .40S&W in a strong side leather holster with six spare magazines around my back side, when in the boonies I sometimes carry my Ruger Super Redhawk .454 in a Mernickle crossdraw holster with a two speedloader pouch, sometimes a Glock 22 .40S&W in a vertical leather shoulder holster with two spare magainzes on the of side, and I used to sometimes carry a S&W 629 .44 Mag mexican style, but haven't really in a while, and before I gave some of my guns away to some in need, I carried a Sig P226 .357 Sig in a Blackhawk, Omega VI I think it was, with three spare magazines on opposite thigh, a S&W Sigma in .40 S&W(worst gun I ever bought) in a strong side leather holster 2 spare mags in my pocket, and a Colt 1991 in a strong side leather holster as well with three spare mags in my pocket. I'm limited in what I can carry because I am only 5'9" and stuck at 139lbs, hopefully I'll gain weigh this summer but usually I loose weight cause I'm outside sweating sometimes 18 hours a day. If It was legal I might try to carry my 870 18" barrel or try to get some NFA junk, but I'm not sure if I can concealed carry or open carry long guns loaded. I'll have to try to find out because I'm in a different state every couple of weeks.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This is not about looks. It is about responsibility. With the exercise of rights comes a responsibility to exercise them thoughtfully, and with respect for the rights of others. Looking "cool", or "White collar", or "Bad ass" has nothing to do with it.

Among the rights guaranteed to all Americans, the right to use deadly force in defense of self or others, and carry of the means to apply that force, carries the most awesome responsibility. This responsibility should never be assumed without considerable thought and training. Moreover, considering the potential for misuse, misapplication, or simple accident, that nominally 2 pounds of steel, plastic and leather may just be the heaviest thing you ever carry.

IMHO, most people who have thought about this a lot also recognize that part of the responsibility we all carry, is to protect the rights we have through responsible stewardship. That is accomplished in part by accommodation.

What does that really mean? It means that carrying a firearm should not take you places you would not go if you did not have one. It means you might not go places you would go without it. It means avoiding confrontation whenever you can. It means, being prepared to back down from confrontation even when you know you are right. It means avoiding provocative actions that are done simply for the sake of provoking. It means recognizing that going for the gun is the last step in a series of failed attempts to use other options, until there is no other option. But arguably the most important single aspect of all of this would be situational awareness.

This does not mean being ready to shoot at any moment. It means being aware of yourself and your surroundings so that you are prepared to avoid surprises. If you are never surprised, you will have a plan of action for any series of events that might arise. Moreover, you would be constantly running scenarios in your mind all the time. In short, when you are carrying a firearm you can no longer afford the luxury of being the center of attention or standing out in a crowd. This is not about individualism, it is about responsibility. Ever wonder why most people who carry like to sit at the back of the restaurant in a place they can observe all the entrances and exits? Do you do that? Do you know why you should?

Many of the "rigs" you describe are in fact provocative. I presume among your holsters you have a dropped tactical rig with a tie-down. Not only is that sort of thing impractical for daily wear, it is a bad choice for general public use. Did you just say WHY?

If you did then you have not given sufficient thought to the situational awareness required for that kind of carry, the reasons it was developed, or the additional responsibility involved.

Now here is the actual answer to your original question. If you screw up, it reflects on every gun owner, not just people who carry. If you can not see the difference between wearing a standard holster with a standard firearm verses a flashy firearm in a dropped rig with "The Cure" engraved in the grip, in the event you have to defend yourself, then we are wasting a lot of time here.

In passing I should mention that most gun fights are carried out at less than 7 yards, and they are over in less than 5 shots. Accuracy will overcome reloading almost every trip of the train. While it is certainly your personal decision to make, do you not think that carrying 70 rounds might be just a little over the top.

The whole idea here is to normalize the carry of firearms for self defense and the defense of others. The shock value you seem to be seeking is not part of the current program, and will be viewed by a lot of people as counter productive to that goal. No one here (least of all me) would tell you you must wear a suit to carry.

i think most would tell you that your carry rig and the firearm itself should be the last thing someone notices when they see you on the street. To achieve that goal, the entire rig should be reasonable, and suited to reasonable purposes. Beyond that nobody should care what you look like or wear, as long as you acquit yourself with poise, maturity and responsibility.

Regards

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Wonderfully put, hawkflyer. However I severely doubt that Mr. Coltpistols is going to understand the point. After all, your last sentence called for poise, maturity, and responsibility. From what he's shown here, he has none of the above.

:celebrateI just noticed this guy was a smiley option now...that rocks!!:celebrate

ColtPistols

imported post

I hope that I didn't give the impression that I am a very irresponsible person by this post. I realize now more than before that especially the drop leg rig with thigh tie downs is probably a little too provacative for normal use. It has been a while since I have carried any of my rigs, but normaly the only time I wore an open drop leg rig was while I was out in the woods shooting targets, hunting, etc. and maybe occassionally maybe made a stop in town and was probably still wearing camo and probably gave the impression that I was a hunter. I don't ever recall anyone being upset, but i sincerly accept your reprimand on open carrying too provacative rigs in public for general use. The only comments I have ever gotten was when I was wearing my .454 Super Redhawk in a crossdraw rig and it was when i was visiting Anchorage and I was on my way to go hunting. Some lady in a Fred Myers saw it and said it was a nice pistol and she even guessed the model. Don't know how since most of the pistol was covered in the holster, maybe just a lucky guess but she wanted to buy the same one that was for sale in the back of the Fred Myers. I will admit that I do enjoy carrying some of my rigs, but I didn't want to give the "fear" feeling to anyone but rather just display some unusual carry pieces and leather. I thought that my nice shoulder holster that carries four spare mags for Para might be unusual but the way it is carried I honestly didn't think that people's first impression would be to feel threatened just by the amount of ammo. Yes I agree with HawkFlyer that it is more than I need because I'de probably be dead before I could ever imagine getting off that many rounds in a gun-fight. Dreqo said I was probably immature and irresponsible. I admit that I am still rather young and have a lot of maturing to do, but I still wouldn't consider myself as irresponsible. My impression of an irresponsible person is one who doesn't take reasonable steps to ensure his safety and those around him or be engaging in dangerous behavior (i.e., leaving weapons where anauthorized users could gain easy access). I have serious considered your admonission, and will try to carry less provacative rigs when I open carry. Thank you for the advice. I am still learning at what areas I need to mature in. The private college I attend has worked a lot with me. They were at first always telling me to shave, cut my hair, etc., but I have slowly improved to be of the character they want me to be when I'm there. This forum has taught me in a similar manner that even though legal and safe, sometimes, too much ammo, or to provacative a rig is not the best idea all the time. Thanks for the advice, and I hope in my original posts and with my follow up comments I hope I wasn't sounding like I was trying to force my opinions on anyone else, just initerested in a little discussion, because I still haven't formed all my opinions in all areas of life yet. Thanks.