Thread: Ankle holster...

Post imported post

What does everyone think about open carrying with an ankle holster? With summer coming and shorts being my main attire an ankle holster obviously won't be concealed. I normally carry my Glock in a G-Code on my right @ 4:00. My wifes carry is a Taurus 357 revolver. I"m considering getting an ankle holster for the revolver for me to use a BUG. How odd would open carry be with an ankle holster?

State Researcher

Post imported post

My opinion? You would look silly. :P When I think of an ankle holster and shorts my mind comes up with sock suspenders!

I've worn my belt mounted holster with shorts and it is an okay way to carry, especially with a snubby. You look like a bike cop or park ranger.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher

Post imported post

pretty damn odd

State Researcher

Post imported post

Not only would it look funny, but I don't think it'd be safe. A pretty standard "what if" is what if someone tries to get your gun from you? Even if you still have a gun on your hip, I can't imagine that you'd be able to draw if a guy dove straight at your ankle, and tipped you over in the process. By the time you figured out which way was up again, he could already have your gun out and pointed at you.

Ankle holsters aren't that practical to begin with. They're only really usable when you're using a small handgun, wearing long pants, and can't, for whatever reason, conceal anywhere else on your body. I kinda see it as a last resort carry. (or, if you've already got one strongside, crossdraw, and underarm, then you might as well have one on your ankle, too lol.)

Post imported post

The cops I have talked to about it have been unanimous in saying not to get or use an ankle holster. They're only useful for poker-table assassination situations. You're liable tofall down if you try to get the thing out when you're standing and in a panic. That said, I've never used one, but their concerns seem reaonable to me.

-ljp

State Researcher

Post imported post

vermeire wrote:
    What does everyone think about open carrying with an ankle holster? With summer coming and shorts being my main attire an ankle holster obviously won't be concealed. I normally carry my Glock in a G-Code on my right @ 4:00. My wifes carry is a Taurus 357 revolver. I"m considering getting an ankle holster for the revolver for me to use a BUG. How odd would open carry be with an ankle holster?
    If you are wearing a full spandex pant-suit, it MIGHT be acceptable

State Researcher

Post imported post

You could always use Thunderwear. If you want to OC just wear it on the outside! :P

LoveMyCountry

Post imported post

An ankle holster for open carrry?

Yeah I agree with others- it's pretty peculiar. I think it might be a little like wearing a hat at a nudist colony. You know they are wearing it for a purpose, but exactly what is difficult to pinpoint.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Post imported post

When deciding how to carry your weapon one of the foremost considerations should be your ability to retain your weapon. IMO, a hip holster, with or without a retention device, is the best kind of retention holster because you have your entire arm and elbow hanging alongside it to keep it from being snatched. An openly carried handgun on an ankle holster not only looks odd, but you have virtually no retention outside of whatever retention device is built in to the holster. My advice: You can do much better.

Post imported post

Shorts and an ankle holster? nahhh....

KILT and an ankle holster... now that would be downright classy!

(Not to mention the pleasure youget when youconfuse people by saying "I kilt da sonofabitch!")
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

I wonder if the brandishing rules are different when you wear a kilt.

Post imported post

Speaking of kilts, you know what a man wears under his kilt, don't you?

Post imported post

You'll need to keep an eye on it if you do this... down there it would be within easy reach of small children.

On a humorous note, I wish that Officer Dangle had been given an ankle gun as part of his costume for Reno 911... That's the image that popped into my mind when I considered someone carrying on their ankle while wearing shorts.

Post imported post

LeagueOf1291 wrote:
    I wonder if the brandishing rules are different when you wear a kilt.
    Yeah... "Officer he pointed it RIGHT AT ME!"
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

Shotgun wrote:
    Shorts and an ankle holster? nahhh....

KILT and an ankle holster... now that would be downright classy!

(Not to mention the pleasure youget when youconfuse people by saying "I kilt da sonofabitch!")