Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Questions About Open/Conceal Carry in Vehicles

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    Hello, I'm new here and have been browsing this forum for a couple of days now and I appreciate all the info. I recently applied for my Pennsylvania concealed carry license and I'm waiting to hear back on that. I have a few questions mostly concerning having a loaded handgun in a vehicle that I wanted to be absolutely sure about so I decided to post. They deal with both open and conceal carry. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    1. If/when I receive my PA concealed carry license can I carry a loaded handgun concealed OR open in a moving or parked vehicle in PA?

    2. If so, does it have to be on me or can it be on the seat next to me, under the seat or in the glove box? Does it matter?

    3. Also, can I do this in all states that recognize the PA concealed carry and states that have reciprocity with PA or does each state have different laws concerning carrying open or concealed in a vehicle even if they recognize the concealed carry license from PA?

    4. I do a lot of camping and often I use my SUV to sleep in, much like someone would use an RV (my bed is set up in the back). If I am parked in a campground (or BLM, State Forest, State Park) or at a rest area on the highway, can I have a loaded handgun under my pillow or in view legally? I understand private campgrounds make their own rules about firearms but I suppose what I'm asking is, is my vehicle recognized as my temporary residence like a motel room would be and would the same rights apply in my vehicle as would in a motel or hotel?

    Thanks

    Scott

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    112

    Post imported post

    psyclone wrote:
    Hello, I'm new here and have been browsing this forum for a couple of days now and I appreciate all the info. I recently applied for my Pennsylvania concealed carry license and I'm waiting to hear back on that. I have a few questions mostly concerning having a loaded handgun in a vehicle that I wanted to be absolutely sure about so I decided to post. They deal with both open and conceal carry. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    1. If/when I receive my PA concealed carry license can I carry a loaded handgun concealed OR open in a moving or parked vehicle in PA?

    2. If so, does it have to be on me or can it be on the seat next to me, under the seat or in the glove box? Does it matter?

    3. Also, can I do this in all states that recognize the PA concealed carry and states that have reciprocity with PA or does each state have different laws concerning carrying open or concealed in a vehicle even if they recognize the concealed carry license from PA?

    4. I do a lot of camping and often I use my SUV to sleep in, much like someone would use an RV (my bed is set up in the back). If I am parked in a campground (or BLM, State Forest, State Park) or at a rest area on the highway, can I have a loaded handgun under my pillow or in view legally? I understand private campgrounds make their own rules about firearms but I suppose what I'm asking is, is my vehicle recognized as my temporary residence like a motel room would be and would the same rights apply in my vehicle as would in a motel or hotel?

    Thanks

    Scott
    Welcome newbie,

    check here------> http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USOffLimitsN-W.pdf
    and scan down to PA.

    To answer your questions

    1. Yes

    2. Doesn't matter

    3. Check the laws of the state you are concerned with at http://www.packing.org/. You must follow the law of the state you are in.The opencarry maps here at OCDO are a huge help. Check them out.

    4. BLM-yes, State/National Forest-yes, State Park-no*, Rest area-yes

    *I think you will find that State Parks have a "regulation" against carrying a firearm, it could get you a summary offense, if caught. IF it were me, I would take my chances. I would not be sleeping in the middle nowhere without it tucked under my pillow.
    I can tell you've been Rady8ed, you have a nice glow about you.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    Thanks for the info!

    I understand that I can't carry while on the trail system in a state park but I'm not clear on whether or not I am able to have a loaded handgun in my car in a state park (if I have a license). I see that in § 11.215. it says ...

    "The following activities are prohibited without written permission of the Department: ".... " (4) Possessing an uncased device, or uncasing a device, including a firearm, archery equipment or slingshot, that is capable of discharging or propelling a projectile, except as provided in paragraph (2) or (7), or except in the owner's building on a leased campsite, in the owner's residence, or in the owner's vehicle or trailer."

    So, I understand that I can have a handgun unloaded in my car or campsite but can I have one loaded, in plain view or concealed, in my car or campsite legally if I have a license? Also, if I can have a loaded handgun in my car, does that apply to anywhere the car is inside the state park whether in a campsite, temporary lot or simply driving through? Perhaps I'm overcomplicating what is obvious here but I've always had a problem understanding the way these things are written and I just want to avoid any problems if I can.

    Thanks,

    scott

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    112

    Post imported post

    psyclone wrote:
    Thanks for the info!

    I understand that I can't carry while on the trail system in a state park but I'm not clear on whether or not I am able to have a loaded handgun in my car in a state park (if I have a license). I see that in § 11.215. it says ...

    "The following activities are prohibited without written permission of the Department: ".... " (4) Possessing an uncased device, or uncasing a device, including a firearm, archery equipment or slingshot, that is capable of discharging or propelling a projectile, except as provided in paragraph (2) or (7), or except in the owner's building on a leased campsite, in the owner's residence, or in the owner's vehicle or trailer."

    So, I understand that I can have a handgun unloaded in my car or campsite but can I have one loaded, in plain view or concealed, in my car or campsite legally if I have a license? Also, if I can have a loaded handgun in my car, does that apply to anywhere the car is inside the state park whether in a campsite, temporary lot or simply driving through? Perhaps I'm overcomplicating what is obvious here but I've always had a problem understanding the way these things are written and I just want to avoid any problems if I can.

    Thanks,

    scott



    Well, I had to re-read that quote a few times but it seems to me the only thing you can't do is carry it while on footin a state park.Again, that is only a regulation, only worth a summary offense if caught. You have to decide if the risk is worth the ability to defend you and yours. I know what I would do.

    I'm not sure how one would have a building on a leased campsite, but it clearly states that it's legal in the owners vehicle or trailer.

    BTW, PA doesn't care if the gun is loaded or not. If you don't have a LTCF and have a gun readily accessible while in your car, it's illegal. IOW, if you have a LTCF, keep your gun on or near you and keep it loaded. They work better that way.

    For a lot of great info and great peoplejoin us athttp://www.pafoa.org. You will have over 3000 new friends.Tell em rady8um sent you.

    BTW, what part of PA are you from?



    I can tell you've been Rady8ed, you have a nice glow about you.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    rady8um wrote:
    Well, I had to re-read that quote a few times but it seems to me the only thing you can't do is carry it while on foot*in a state park.*Again, that is only a regulation, only worth a summary offense if caught. You have to decide if the risk is worth the ability to defend you and yours. I know what I would do.
    I understand. I never felt a need to carry in a state park but I am curious about what is legal and what isn't and I like having options and knowing where those options could land me. So long as a summary offense doesn't result in the confiscation of my LTCF, I'd be OK with it if I really felt I needed to carry for some reason.

    I'm not sure how one would have a building on a leased campsite,
    The only thing I could think of was they might mean a cabin or perhaps a yurt type of structure I've seen in parks recently. This leads me to wonder if they only mean it's legal in a campsite with a structure but not one where tents would be.

    but it clearly states that it's legal in the owners vehicle or trailer.
    Yes, but loaded or unloaded? The way I do it now is, say I'm camping at French Creek State Park. I usually bring my pistol and maybe a few rifles with me since they have an outdoor range there. I keep the guns in my car in the campsite unloaded. My question is, if I do get the LTCF, does that now make it legal for me to have the guns in the car or campsite loaded/in view/concealed or do I still need to separate the ammo/firearm even with the LTCF because it's a state park and they have different rules?

    For a lot of great info and great people*join us at*http://www.pafoa.org. You will have over 3000 new friends.*Tell em rady8um sent you.
    I will check it out, thanks.

    BTW, what part of PA are you from?
    I am in the Philly suburbs.

    Thanks again,

    scott

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in PA
    Posts
    159

    Post imported post

    rady8um wrote:
    psyclone wrote:
    Thanks for the info!

    I understand that I can't carry while on the trail system in a state park but I'm not clear on whether or not I am able to have a loaded handgun in my car in a state park (if I have a license). I see that in § 11.215. it says ...

    "The following activities are prohibited without written permission of the Department: ".... " (4) Possessing an uncased device, or uncasing a device, including a firearm, archery equipment or slingshot, that is capable of discharging or propelling a projectile, except as provided in paragraph (2) or (7), or except in the owner's building on a leased campsite, in the owner's residence, or in the owner's vehicle or trailer."

    So, I understand that I can have a handgun unloaded in my car or campsite but can I have one loaded, in plain view or concealed, in my car or campsite legally if I have a license? Also, if I can have a loaded handgun in my car, does that apply to anywhere the car is inside the state park whether in a campsite, temporary lot or simply driving through? Perhaps I'm overcomplicating what is obvious here but I've always had a problem understanding the way these things are written and I just want to avoid any problems if I can.

    Thanks,

    scott


    BTW, PA doesn't care if the gun is loaded or not. If you don't have a LTCF and have a gun readily accessible while in your car, it's illegal. IOW, if you have a LTCF, keep your gun on or near you and keep it loaded. They work better that way.


    Wrong info. It does not matter how accessible the firearm is, only that the ammo and firearm be carried in seperate containers if you do not have a LTC.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    112

    Post imported post

    Steve in PA wrote:
    rady8um wrote:
    psyclone wrote:
    Thanks for the info!

    I understand that I can't carry while on the trail system in a state park but I'm not clear on whether or not I am able to have a loaded handgun in my car in a state park (if I have a license). I see that in § 11.215. it says ...

    "The following activities are prohibited without written permission of the Department: ".... " (4) Possessing an uncased device, or uncasing a device, including a firearm, archery equipment or slingshot, that is capable of discharging or propelling a projectile, except as provided in paragraph (2) or (7), or except in the owner's building on a leased campsite, in the owner's residence, or in the owner's vehicle or trailer."

    So, I understand that I can have a handgun unloaded in my car or campsite but can I have one loaded, in plain view or concealed, in my car or campsite legally if I have a license? Also, if I can have a loaded handgun in my car, does that apply to anywhere the car is inside the state park whether in a campsite, temporary lot or simply driving through? Perhaps I'm overcomplicating what is obvious here but I've always had a problem understanding the way these things are written and I just want to avoid any problems if I can.

    Thanks,

    scott


    BTW, PA doesn't care if the gun is loaded or not. If you don't have a LTCF and have a gun readily accessible while in your car, it's illegal. IOW, if you have a LTCF, keep your gun on or near you and keep it loaded. They work better that way.


    Wrong info. It does not matter how accessible the firearm is, only that the ammo and firearm be carried in seperate containers if you do not have a LTC.
    So, ifa person did not have a LTCF and had a cased firearm next to him and ammo in the glovebox, it is legal?
    I can tell you've been Rady8ed, you have a nice glow about you.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in PA
    Posts
    159

    Post imported post

    The ammo doesn't even have to be in the glove compartment, trunk, etc.

    The firearm and ammo need to be in seperate containers. The handgun can be in a case and the ammo can be sitting right next to it, as long as the ammo is not in the same case.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    112

    Post imported post

    Steve in PA wrote:
    The ammo doesn't even have to be in the glove compartment, trunk, etc.

    The firearm and ammo need to be in seperate containers. The handgun can be in a case and the ammo can be sitting right next to it, as long as the ammo is not in the same case.

    Now, you're just making stuff up.

    j/k

    Seriously, I was thinking loaded handgun in the car, relating to the OP's question.

    Unfortunately what I was thinking and typing were not the same.:?

    After 18 yearswith a LTCF, Ikind offorgot the details on location and accessability in acar.

    Ya learn something(or get a reminder) every day.



    I can tell you've been Rady8ed, you have a nice glow about you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •