• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Friend needs advice...

OBXMIKE

imported post

Hi, all.

I have a friend at work that earned a DWI about a year and a half ago, is/was a CCW permit holder, and was just denied renewal based on his aforementioned offense. He is mid-fifties and this was his first and only encounter with the law outside of a speeding ticket or two along the way. Now, I know any DWI offense is serious business....nobody should get behind the wheel under the influence of any substance....but as we know, a lot do. (I don't drink, so no worries here!) Anyway, he paid his dues, and I guarantee you, he'll not do it again! So what course of action would be prudent to take in regards to overcoming his permit denial? Has he screwed himself forever? Who should he request a hearing with? Should he employ an attorney? Any advice you guys could throw in would be appreciated. I'm familiar with the NC laws, but foggy on Virginia's intricacies.....

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

1st freedom wrote:
Can not be issued or renew a permit if you have a misdemeaner within 5 years

Actually, according to the code here: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308 it's "two or more misdemeanors within the five-year period immediately preceding the application, if one of the misdemeanors was a Class 1 misdemeanor, but the judge shall have the discretion to deny a permit for two or more misdemeanors that are not Class 1."

However, a single DWI w/in three years will also do it, he'll have to wait until it's ben three years since the DWI...

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Fortunately for the DUI offender he can still open carry in the year and a half he still has to wait.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
However, a single DWI w/in three years will also do it, he'll have to wait until it's ben three years since the DWI...

Pretty strict, seems to me. So much for the "lax Virginia gun laws."

That was an expensivenight ofpartying for the guy.

1st freedom

imported post

back in 1995 I had inadvertentlly crossed a property line while hunting on a friends land and was unsure of the boundrys. I had crossed a creek that shouldn't have and was cited for " tresspass while hunting". $50 fine nothing else, or so I thought. The tresspass charge was given for denial of permit.

OBXMIKE

imported post

True that, CaptainCharles. I'm sure the thought's crossed his mind on more than one occasion.The guy was barely over the .08, but the law is the law. Thanks for all the input, and the refs to the statutes Roscoe13. Looks like he's OCing until next year, unless he can pull a rabbit outta his hat! He's going to see if he can get a sit-down with the authorities and plead his case, to whatever outcome. Just another reason to never get behind the wheel even if you've only had a "couple"! :uhoh:

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

1st freedom wrote:
back in 1995 I had inadvertentlly crossed a property line while hunting on a friends land and was unsure of the boundrys. I had crossed a creek that shouldn't have and was cited for " tresspass while hunting". $50 fine nothing else, or so I thought. The tresspass charge was given for denial of permit.
I wonder if the law has relaxed in passing years or if you were actually denied inappropriately.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

longwatch wrote:
1st freedom wrote:
I wonder if the law has relaxed in passing years or if you were actually denied inappropriately.

It certainly appears that you're qualified based on the current laws...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

OBXMIKE wrote:
Looks like he's OCing until next year, unless he can pull a rabbit outta his hat!

That's quite an odd situation. Barred by regulation from carrying a gun but not barredfrom carrying a gun. Odd.

A "loophole."

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
...SNIP
That's quite an odd situation. Barred by regulation from carrying a gun but not barred from carrying a gun. Odd.

A "loophole."

Not really. He is only barred from concealing the gun. What IS interesting is that because he can OC, he can take it in a place selling alcohol.

Regards

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
HankT wrote:
...SNIP
That's quite an odd situation. Barred by regulation from carrying a gun but not barredfrom carrying a gun. Odd.

A "loophole."

Not really. He is only barred from concealing the gun. What IS interesting is that because he can OC, he can take it in a place selling alcohol.

It's a crazy mixed up world.

Actually, since it is impractical to OC in some situations, in those the guy cannot carry a gun legally. It's interesting, too, that the prohibition apparently kicks in only upon renewal. So he got a "free" 1.5 years of concealed carry because of the timing. Another "loophole."

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:
Actually, since it is impractical to OC in some situations, in those the guy cannot carry a gun legally. It's interesting, too, that the prohibition apparently kicks in only upon renewal. So he got a "free" 1.5 years of concealed carry because of the timing. Another "loophole."

One of the changes going into effect on 7/1 is a requirement for the state police to re-check all CHP holders annually to see if they're still eligible, so going forward he'd be screwed anyway...

vrwmiller

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
One of the changes going into effect on 7/1 is a requirement for the state police to re-check all CHP holders to see if they're still eligible, so going forward he'd be screwed anyway...

Do you happen to know the statute where this is explained? I would be interested in reading it.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
roscoe13 wrote:
One of the changes going into effect on 7/1 is a requirement for the state police to re-check all CHP holders to see if they're still eligible, so going forward he'd be screwed anyway...

Do you happen to know the statute where this is explained? I would be interested in reading it.

It's in the link posted above in one of my earlier posts. See section J5...

vrwmiller

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:

It's in the link posted above in one of my earlier posts. See section J5...

Ok. That is interesting. There's been discussion of lifetime permits in multiple threads on this board. It seems the general concensus is that lifetime permits will not go into effect because there is a lack of funding to do so.

However, section J5 in the statute above indicates that the VSP will be doing annual checks on permit holders (Beginning July 1, 2007). Was there an impact statement associated with the bill? Did it explain the need for funding and how it would be funded?

So, like it was pointed out in the other threads, if the wording is there....

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
Ok. That is interesting. There's been discussion of lifetime permits in multiple threads on this board. It seems the general concensus is that lifetime permits will not go into effect because there is a lack of funding to do so.

However, section J5 in the statute above indicates that the VSP will be doing annual checks on permit holders (Beginning July 1, 2007). Was there an impact statement associated with the bill? Did it explain the need for funding and how it would be funded?

See the last post in http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/2501.html

vrwmiller

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:

See the last post in http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/2501.html
Indeed, I saw that. However, see section J5 at http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

It begins by saying "Effective July 1, 2007". I've seen this in multiple statutes. So, the data is posted prior to July 1.