• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in Alexandria

bizziemulz

imported post

Hello all,

I'm recent handgun owner (USPc .40) and new member. This question might be in the wrong topic, but I recently moved to alexandria, va from california. And I love the fact that open carry here is legal (after reading commonwealth laws). I want to exercise my 2nd ammendment rights, but I am a little worried to OC in alexandria, va since it is a little more liberal. By the way I'm absolutely safe with my firearm, but my question is, has anyone had any problems OCing in the Alexandria area? Thanks!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I have an Alexandria postal address, even though I'm just across the line in Fairfax County.

I have OCed in Alexandria numerous times, inlcuding walking across the boardwalk area by the Torpedo factory, eating in the Charthouse restaurant and many other restuarants; recently was at another restaurant in Old Town and saw a man OCing with a small party by the bar waiting for table.

I do not think you will have any problems OCing at all in VA generally, and expecially in teh more urban areas in NOVA where the police often are a bit more professional/bureacratically attuned to open carry rights.

bizziemulz

imported post

Great, thanks for the info! I was a little hesitant to OC in old towne but after hearing your experiences and reading the restaurant thread (which by the was is funny how CCing is forbidden and OCing is not :?, but I don't want to bring up that debate) I feel alot more comfortable doing it.

One more question. I've read a bit on some other threads about open carrying in your vehicle. I have a truck with no extra cab so I would be fine having the firearm out of the holsterand laying on the passenger seat loaded, right?

Thanks again guys!

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Another point, Bizzymulz: precisely because NOVA is more liberal than other parts of the Commonwealth, the police and citizens there were the first to over react to open carry 3-4 years ago when it bagan to catch on. There were a number of fairly high profile cases that made the news (including the Washington Post), where honest, law abiding OC citizens were illegally harrassed. The police had to apologize, and were "re-educated", so at the same time the general public was made aware of the complete lagality of OC here.

I doubt you'll have any real problems now.

By the way, welcome to the great Commonwealth of Virginia. Consider joining the VCDL. ( Check out www.VCDL.org.)

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bizziemulz wrote:
One more question. I've read a bit on some other threads about open carrying in your vehicle. I have a truck with no extra cab so I would be fine having the firearm out of the holsterand laying on the passenger seat loaded, right?

Having itIN your holster on the seat is just fine.

Now, go get your concealed handgun permit....and welcome to Virginia, a free state.;)

Mayday

imported post

I open carry all the time in Old Towne Alexandria. I live down the street from the Chipolte on King Street and go there often. As soon as i round the corner and am about to enter, out comes the Sig P229r.

No one has ever said a word to me. Heck, rarelly does ANYONE notice. As soon as I leave the front door, I tuck my shirt down again.

ProtectMd

imported post

I've OCed in Alexandria before, Old Town area. Alot of the citizens are normal to the idea, I think i've seen several police cars and cops on foot patrol and never had a problem. They just nod... and carry on. Once I was stopped by 2 Old Town City Police Officers on foot, and they asked to see our ID's and looked and they were like oh your military, made small talk, and went along our way. They said nothing about our sidearms... you get a few who give you looks like why do you have a gun look, or some are lookin at you like cool...

There was another time I was up there, and was walking to a gas station to get something to drink. some "hoodlums" were looking at us, and pointing, im guessing they thought we were LEO's or something, I dunno, anyway, they were acting really suspicious and after taking notice to us, they hauled @$$ out of there... my guess is they were there to buy drugs or something, the one car had DC plates, whatever it was they weren't thrilled that we were open carrying. Just speculation, however I guess open carry does have its good pointswhen it comes to crime prevention... I saw a couple of other people OCing too.

ProtectMd

imported post

yeah OC in Old Town is definately a good thing, gets the rich people used to how Va. actually is... I think I saw a lambo there once, I believe Mike Tyson was possibly driving? I OC every time I go to OT though

Str8 Shot

Ocing in Alexandria,Va !

I Oc in Alexandria,Va EVERYDAY on Mt, Vernon ave Delray Area and in Old Town and have not had one issue the cops are awesome the most ive had from them was one time i was walking and one cop just ask me if i was ok but not in a bad way and i said yeah and he said aight take it easy at the time we were talking we did'nt even stop walking . Alexandria, Cops Understand thats all i can say !

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I Oc in Alexandria,Va EVERYDAY on Mt, Vernon ave Delray Area and in Old Town and have not had one issue the cops are awesome the most ive had from them was one time i was walking and one cop just ask me if i was ok but not in a bad way and i said yeah and he said aight take it easy at the time we were talking we did'nt even stop walking . Alexandria, Cops Understand thats all i can say !

Welcome to OCDO.

Geeze, would ya stop and take a breath once in a while? This is not Twitter and you used more than 40 words anyhow.

Check out the OC dinners/meetings for NoVa, and go to www.vcdl.org and join.

stay safe.

Jonesy

I also live in and frequently oc in Alexandria. I have never been hassled here for ocing, the cops here are cool with it. Almost all the businesses here are fine with it, with a few exceptions like BB&T bank. Don't give them any business.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
BB&T bank. Don't give them any business.
bbtbank.jpg