• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA Tech Review panel seeks public comment

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Done. I suggested they consider the ramifications of any report, blame, or new process.

CPerdue

imported post

Oooh, this is going to be a hard one.

I watched the first public session yesterday. Some on the panel were clueless about both firearms and the law, much less greater issues of freedom - very dangerous. A state police major briefed the panel for a long time - he was wrong or glossed over several points, most notably the unintended (?) consequences of EO 50.

We need to be very careful with this so that the debate is framed properly. Much of yesterday's discussion centered on access to weapons. This is the wrong question, we all know that anything can be a weapon (I'm personally glad Cho didn't decide to steal a dump truck from one of the nearby construction projects and then drive on the sidewalk during class change).

The correct question may be, "why was a crazy person allowed out in society?" This sidesteps all gun questions.

Again, please be very careful in what you post to the review panel. Perhaps type your comments up and let them rest for a day before submitting. If you attend one of the public sessions then practice what you want to say beforehand - it has been a long time since I spoke publicly, without preparation I would not make a persuasive argument.

ProtectMd

imported post

Or in that case and the case of many others, the lack of access to weapons for the self defense of law abiding citizens. What about their rights, and how they were trampled, when the University pledged to ban weapons from campus, and won, they spit on the constitution and made all of the guns on campus dissapear magically with the stroke of a pen. An institution of higher learning, who rakes in millions each year, bans the citizens rights to self defense on their property and fails to provide adequete security. Are they liable?After all, Thank God it wasn't Al Qaida, we can spend millions to secure our nations subways, water supplies and elementary schools, but I have a feeling the local middle school might be safer than that college.I guess we should just give the dean another payraise...

Another question is why they allow crazies to run loose on campus freely? If the teachers say he's suicidal, and tell him to get help, and they allow him to cut himself day after day, and finally student A. kicks the bucket -death by suicide, and the teachers knew about it, what is their role in his death? If Joe Smith drives his car through a crowded area and runs over several because he was going nuts for weeks, the teachers knew, the students knew and nobody cared... they just let him go wild.... who is at fault? Yeah, you can say, Of course Joe Smith its his fault, but then you get into the realm of "Do crazy people really know they are crazy?"