• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any Negative Experiences??

WV XD Guy

imported post

While everyone keeps posting that no one makes any mention of the fact they are OC'ing, and those that do just ask polite questions. I was wondering if any of you have had any bad experiences because you were open carrying??

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Oh, yes. Just look through the thread titles, as opposed to the category titles,on the home page. You'll see a number of discussions about sour LEO-citizen encounters and a few about running into anti-gunners.

vrwmiller

imported post

Indeed, if you take a look through other posts and articles here on the forums, you will find several examples of people having negative encounters with LEO.

Personally, I have not had any negative experiences with LEO since I began OC'ing earlier this year. I've been OC'ing when LEO's have been present multiple times and none of them ever said anything. I suppose when an LEO notices you carrying and never says anything, then it could be considered a positive experience. However, I would like LEO's to engage me in some kind of conversation which happens to be positive because I often feel that they're not necessarily comfortable around me at that particular moment. With some conversation, I feel that the LEO would be more at ease with the encounter.

Since I live in Manassas City and my encounters have been with Manassas City and PWC PD mostly, I guess I can understand their silence when seeing an armed citizen based on recent events.

LEO 229

imported post

Name a spot and bring citizen with you. We can talk and you can have a positive experience.:D

I will run citizen's serial numbers and we can go to lunch.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:

Since I live in Manassas City and my encounters have been with Manassas City and PWC PD mostly, I guess I can understand their silence when seeing an armed citizen based on recent events.

Everyone does realize this means we won, right? I know I was frustrated with some of the report from the PD (and VCDL is still working on that), but nonetheless, all in all, we won. Even the report wasn't quite as bad as some made it out to be.... I used to work for a PD, and I can tell you that no police officer wants a written report on their conduct to note that they were "ineffective" and "confused" about Virginia law - and that's from a section of the report we are unhappy with!

WV XD Guy

imported post

Sorry, I should have mentioned not to limit this to LEO's. I have had quite a few regular people come up and give me a hard time about why I open carry. After I explained that it was legal, they would still try to tell me it was wrong and I should not do it. :banghead: In one instance, one of my neighbors did not believe that it was legal and stated that he was going to call the police. I told him that I would wait there for them to assure him that it was legal. The police did exactly that and my neighbor then demanded that they do something because he didn't like seeing that. While most people who take the time to ask me about it are very polite, lately there have seemed to be more people upset about it and I was wondering if anybody else had noticed this, sorry for the confusion.

DeadCenter

imported post

WV XD Guy wrote:
Sorry, I should have mentioned not to limit this to LEO's. I have had quite a few regular people come up and give me a hard time about why I open carry. After I explained that it was legal, they would still try to tell me it was wrong and I should not do it. :banghead: In one instance, one of my neighbors did not believe that it was legal and stated that he was going to call the police. I told him that I would wait there for them to assure him that it was legal. The police did exactly that and my neighbor then demanded that they do something because he didn't like seeing that. While most people who take the time to ask me about it are very polite, lately there have seemed to be more people upset about it and I was wondering if anybody else had noticed this, sorry for the confusion.

In the wake of VT this is understandable to a degree. If I run into negative persitence I simply state I carry to protect myself and my family from the unknown. You never know when that tire will go flat. You never know when you will be in a situation where your life or a loved ones life will bein danger. I'm prepared for the unkown. And in my lifetime I hope I never have to use it.

DC

vrwmiller

imported post

WV XD Guy wrote:
Sorry, I should have mentioned not to limit this to LEO's. I have had quite a few regular people come up and give me a hard time about why I open carry. After I explained that it was legal, they would still try to tell me it was wrong and I should not do it.

I've not had any negative experiences with other citizens either. I've had some citizens ask me about my carrying and a couple who expressed that they have a different view on the RKBA. I've simply explained to them why I carry and drawn some analogies that a person could understand.

Personally, I enjoy educating citizens on VA law and enjoy it when they engage me in conversation.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well since you don't mean LEOs in particular.

I actually have a neighbor that is anti-rights and opposes gun ownership. He takes every opportunity to point this out to me. On one occasion I definitely saved him from, at the very least, a severe beating. I related this story in another thread.

Because I carry when I am out on the property, if he is out he always takes the opportunity to rush over and object to my sidearm. I occasionally have the need to dispatch a snake and this really sets him off when he hears the shot fired. He contacted the county a few times to report the weapon and my range. On one occasion the police dropped by to take a look, and of course there is nothing illegal going on. The LEO was even impressed at the range set up. That information just aggravated this guy further.

When we first met, I tried to discuss things with him, but frankly, he is just not worth my time and effort to convert. I have more willing, and frankly more influential people to work on.

Just yesterday I was out with my wife working the garden. While I deal with the guy all the time, she as only been around him a few times but she has heard the stories.

Anyway he is out running his trimmer along the fence. He sees me, and when he gets to my side of his fence-line, shuts off the trimmer, and says "What do you need to have a gun for while you are tending a garden." I just ignored the comment and said "Nice day out isn't it." I was leading up to reminding him it was snake season again.

My wife (never the pushover), looks at the guy and says " We need it to keep annoying vermin under control." The guy snaps back "Is that some kind of a threat?" She calmly responds, "Not unless you are vermin and plan on annoying us." By then I had moved off to attend to something else (you can read that as I was seeking shelter). But they talked a little longer.

By the time I got back he was leaving, so I asked her what they were discussing after I slipped away. It seems he was warning her that guns in the home are dangerous, and that I might be dangerous because I owned a gun and that increased the risk of domestic violence. Yhada, yhada, yhada ...

Apparently she politely told him to buzz off, because what went on in our home was none of his business. She also pointed out that she felt the same way about our property, and she would appreciate it if he would keep his opinions on his side of the fence. Knowing my wife as I do, I am certain this message was delivered with some, shall we say "vigor." He left in a bit of a huff.

But he really makes me wonder about Wisconsin. He came here from there a few years ago. I have never been to Wisconsin, but I always thought they were fairly firearms friendly up there. So where did this guy come from?

Anyway to paraphrase the song "wild wood weed" - I can get the aggravation and never even leave the farm.

Regards

EDIT: I should add that my wife was not armed, and she did not prompt the encounter.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

This one time at Tonys Pizza in Manassas....:D
That is my only negative experience with an anti or the cops.
Other than that I've only ever been asked if I was a cop or similar interactions.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

WV XD Guy wrote:
In one instance, one of my neighbors did not believe that it was legal and stated that he was going to call the police. I told him that I would wait there for them to assure him that it was legal. The police did exactly that and my neighbor then demanded that they do something because he didn't like seeing that.
This just made me laugh! :lol: I live 2 blocks from the Police Station, 1 block from the High School, on a busy street, near a busy intersection and I am always open carrying, evenwhile mowing my lawn :cool:. Back and forth, back and forth with a big, shiny stainless 1911 on my hip. No one has ever bothered me.

I LOVE Idaho!

LoveMyCountry

Bulldog1967

imported post

Wife and I were out eating at Savios in Alexandria last week.

Normally they are staffed by what I assumed were Italian family members. Very professional. Good food, reasonable prices.

This night our waiter was a young Korean guy. Showed us to our seats in the back.

As I passed him, his eyes got all big and he said:

"IS THAT A GUN?!?" :what:

I looked down at my gun on my hip looked up at him and said:

"My gosh, you're RIGHT!"

And sat down to order our dinner.

For some reason someone ELSE took our order. :?

possumboy

imported post

It is possible to have both - postive with LEOs and negative with "citizens". I had a "negative experience" with some employees at a rec center, but the LEO never showed, Prince William County dispatcher told them I was within my rights.

This is where I talk about it:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=367&forum_id=54

I think Prince William County does an excellent job with its officers. It could be that I just have not run into any of the bad ones.

Overall, I would say I get more problems with anti than LEOs.

I had one anti: "Can you hide that gun?" add your ownloathing into those words,it was not asked nicely.
I replied "Yes"
After standing there about 30 seconds he said: "Well?!!?"
I looked at him "Well what?"
Him: "You going to hide that gun of yours?"
Me: "No, you asked if I could, not if I would."

He stalked off after that. I guess my friends laughing at my response didn't help his attitude either.

Overall, I have many more good encounters with people that want to know about why I carry. That is why I try to explain that it is for protection of my family. The "Do you wear a seatbelt" questions always seems to work well for those interested - just makes those that want to agrue with me mad, I don't agrue anyway. Agruing a right means someone might come up with a reason to revoke it.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

possumboy wrote:
Overall, I have many more good encounters with people that want to know about why I carry. That is why I try to explain that it is for protection of my family. The "Do you wear a seatbelt" questions always seems to work well for those interested - just makes those that want to agrue with me mad, I don't agrue anyway. Agruing a right means someone might come up with a reason to revoke it.

I don't want to argue with you, but I've got to know. What is an agrue? It is it some sort of religious ceremony or a type of food? Is it contagious? Do I need to wash my hands every time I agrue? What if my Mom finds out that I agrue? How will she live with the shame of knowing that her son is.. is... an agruer?!! :p

I hope you know that I'm joking with you. Just something about your typo that made my brain take off and run with it.

LoveMyCountry

possumboy

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
I don't want to argue with you, but I've got to know. What is an agrue? It is it some sort of religious ceremony or a type of food? Is it contagious? Do I need to wash my hands every time I agrue? What if my Mom finds out that I agrue? How will she live with the shame of knowing that her son is.. is... an agruer?!! :p

I hope you know that I'm joking with you. Just something about your typo that made my brain take off and run with it.

LoveMyCountry
It is the same as argue, just with a little bit more passion.:lol:

LEO 229

imported post

It is funny to hear of so many citizens will talk to you about it and not be happy.

I feel that most that have a negative contact with you do not own a gun and do not like them at all. I am guessing that any people that own and have a negative contact with you just think what your doing is wrong.

One side of me would tell them to shut the F up... but the other side would want to maintain good relations and try to educate them. I could understand and expect some to think I was a nut to walk around armed since this is so uncommon.

I know a fellow officer that opposes guns and does not think people should own them. We both understand each other and have no problems personally. He did get ganged up on one morning as he was the only one in the group.

Having said that.... I feel that most cops are pro gun so a LEO encounter that is negative will probably only happen when they do not know OC is legal.

possumboy

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
It is funny to hear of so many citizens will talk to you about it and not be happy.

I feel that most that have a negative contact with you do not own a gun and do not like them at all. I am guessing that any people that own and have a negative contact with you just think what your doing is wrong.

One side of me would tell them to shut the F up... but the other side would want to maintain good relations and try to educate them. I could understand and expect some to think I was a nut to walk around armed since this is so uncommon.

I know a fellow officer that opposes guns and does not think people should own them. We both understand each other and have no problems personally. He did get ganged up on one morning as he was the only one in the group.

Having said that.... I feel that most cops are pro gun so a LEO encounter that is negative will probably only happen when they do not know OC is legal.

Wouldn't have it any other way. The reason they can state their opinions, are the same reason I can wear my gun (I know there is some devil in the detail there, but you get the basics). Even thought I think it would be interesting to see them try to limit your use of language to once a month and only after a background check. "I'm sorry, but you have already said the F word this month, we are denying your request.";)

I also find it funny that they can't really be that scared to walk up to you and say something. If they were truly scared, you would never hear them, just them calling 911 about a "person with a gun". They must know that someone isn't going to use the gun on them, or maybe they are hoping to be threatened so they can "make the world safer" - for the criminals that is.

LEO 229

imported post

possumboy wrote:
I also find it funny that they can't really be that scared to walk up to you and say something. If they were truly scared, you would never hear them, just them calling 911 about a "person with a gun". They must know that someone isn't going to use the gun on them, or maybe they are hoping to be threatened so they can "make the world safer" - for the criminals that is.
Damn... I had not thought about it but ya... They must not see you as a threat since they approached you.

It comes down to the fact that they do not like guns and want you to stop your activity.

I can see if your waiving it around and being dangerous... but this is not the case.

rabbit994

imported post

possumboy wrote
I think Prince William County does an excellent job with its officers. It could be that I just have not run into any of the bad ones.

Prince William does do a good job with it's officers. I'm really impressed with their department. That said, most PWC won't talk to you because as they say "I have nothing to speak with you about"

possumboy

imported post

rabbit994 wrote:
possumboy wrote

Prince William does do a good job with it's officers. I'm really impressed with their department. That said, most PWC won't talk to you because as they say "I have nothing to speak with you about"
That might be what I like about PWC officers. I don't have to be an ass and refuse to talk to them because I do not know what they are talking to me for. Are they looking for a reason to detain me? Or are they just wanting to know how my day is?

If I don't know an officer, I keep talk to a minimum. I do feel like I'm being rude, but it is best to be safe.