• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any Negative Experiences??

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

This is a good thread. I like to read the positive encounters and now we have negative encounters. Good to learn from others' experiences.

I almost never carry open (I know, what am I doing here). But I fully support this right and wouldn't have it any other way. Nice to read other member's stories.

CPerdue

imported post

OK, this is way dated, circa 1986 IIRC, but kind of funny ...

Houses had sprung up all around the family farm in northern Fauquier county, but we still had a 100 yard range in the back yard. Sighting in for hunting season quite upset one of the new neighbors who lived 200+ yards on the safe side of the firing line. Turns out he was a Fairfax county cop.

He came roaring into our driveway, skidded gravel everywhere, and jumped out of his car yelling, "What the hell is going on here!" I think he had his sidearm but don't recall him actually pointing it anywhere obnoxious. My dad was just about ready to squeeze one off anyway, so he proceeded to split the guy's eardrums with a 7mm mag. (waste at 100 yds., but what ya' gonna do?). This was followed with, "What does it look like? You are trespassing, leave."

The guy blustered for a few embarrassed moments then he left. Half an hour later a Fauquier cop pulled in, said, "Have a nice day," and then went and paid a visit to the new neighbor. He was back an hour or so later to say that he had chewed the other cop out for harassing us and that we shouldn't have any more problems.

We got at least two more Fauquier police visits over the years, usually when someone new moved to the surrounding development. They were never concerned by us but just doing the job - sigh for the good 'ol days.

A sure way to recruit help for some arduous agricultural task was to do a couple of hours of shooting a few days before. We were in earshot of the barracks at a small Army post. Somebody would always show up and want to play too. Then they would get home-grown dinner and an invite to come back and help with whatever ... got lots of hay picked up that way.

nemo

imported post

> a LEO encounter that is negative will probably only happen when they do not know

> OC is legal.

I came from another thread with my sad story, and this thread, on negative experiences, would seem to be the place to tell it. There is a lot more detail, but I was advised to trim it down. Hope that it is short enough.

About noon, in mid-May, I was in Purcellville, walking from the Giant Food store towards the Purcellville gun shop. I was wearing a white tee shirt (but clean!) tucked into my Levis, open-carrying my handgun. When I reached the Maple Street intersection, I found that I needed a men’s room. I knew that the BP gas station, across the street, had one, but I thought that the 7-11 store, on my side of the street, might have one, so I entered the store.

I approached a clerk, asked whether they had a men’s room, learned that they did, and went to use it. When I exited the men’s room, about a minute later, I saw a group of about eight cops, which was now in the store. When I approached, one cop said that they wanted to talk about my gun. I said sure, as I entered the group. There were four cops within arms reach, surrounding me, and others, beyond, towards the front of the store. The same cop asked whether I would permit myself to be disarmed. I replied, “No; my gun is perfectly safe where it is.” My rationale was that I was an American citizen who was going about his lawful private business in the legal condition of open carry.

At my response, the speaker must have given a signal, as two cops to my front each grabbed one of my arms, and someone said: “Put your hands behind your back;” Upon being handcuffed, I asked whether I was under arrest. I was told no; that I was being detained. One of the cops asked whether I had a concealed carry permit, and I replied in the negative. I was driven to the magistrate in Leesburg. When I was seated in front of the magistrate, I asked whether I was still being detained. I was informed that I was now under arrest, but I was not told the charge. I said essentially nothing after that point, except in answer to questions.

I do not know much about how the legal system is supposed to operate, or the role that the magistrate plays in it. The magistrate was extremely unsympathetic (I do not mind being tough on crime, but I do not know why I was the object of attention, let alone the object of arrest), so I did not attempt to explain that I had been open carrying (that may have been an error, as I was still wearing my holster, at that time, and I could have clearly demonstrated that the handgun had been outside of my tee shirt).

The magistrate discussed me with the arresting cop and a second cop who had arrived. During that discussion, one of the two cops misquoted me to the magistrate, making me sound like a typical VCA: in lieu of my quote, above, he stated that I had said: “You’re not gonna take my gun. You’re not gonna take my gun.” He also described that I was carrying my handgun with the hammer back: “very dangerous.” Only at the conclusion of the conversation of the magistrate with the two cops did I learn of these charges against me: felony concealed carry. I spent from Friday afternoon until Monday evening in jail.

At trial, the prosecutor seemed to realize the situation and did not prosecute; my case was “nolo pross,” for you who know what that means.

I guess, after the fact, that I ran into a whole pack of ignorant cops. I wanted to pursue at least the arresting cop, legally, but was talked out of it. I heard that, after the "trial," he stomped off in a snit. I hope that, at the least, he is not as ignorant about OC as he was.

Weasel

imported post

Whoa Nemo... that is one of the worst stories I have heard
When did this happen?

nemo

imported post

This happened in May 2006.

Yeah, I thought that it was kind of a downer, myself. I have had one other "negative" experience: a guy on the street, who identified himself as a visitor (by accent, he was from the northeast: NY, NJ, MA, I guess; they all sound alike to me), asked a few questions about OC, then started to get abusive, so I just walked away. This time, as I said, I guess that the cop was mightily confused about OC legality. I expected the magistrate to reel him in, when I got there, but, as I said, I really did not know what to expect about him or the system; once I got to the magistrate, it was very clear that he was on the cop's side. I chose to say nothing to him, just as I had said nothing to the cop (though I was only being "detained," doncha know). Once I landed in jail, and for the whole weekend, I wished that I had said something, but, at the time, it seemed clear to me that nothing that I said would be productive.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Name a spot and bring citizen with you. We can talk and you can have a positive experience.:D

I will run citizen's serial numbers and we can go to lunch.

Oh,wow....here we go on Citizen again.

Don't forget to bring some J Walker.........:celebrate

nemo

imported post

Complaint, nothing. I wanted to sue for false arrest.

My lawyer stated that any legal action against the arresting cop would be a waste of money, apparently because the cop’s actions were given validity by the magistrate. I did not understand the legal niceties, but I did understand that he thought that I would be throwing money away. Now, I am generally in favor of making a statement, or even just being generally vindictive, but I do not even have the money to throw away, so my options were and are limited.

But, if anyone here is a lawyer, or knows of one, who thinks otherwise, then I still feel vindictive. He’s just gonna have to be patient about getting paid, that’s all.

If it is not too late, I could still file a complaint, for what that is worth. It’s just that I did not think that it would be worth that much, so I took the easy way out.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

possumboy wrote:
It is possible to have both - postive with LEOs and negative with "citizens". I had a "negative experience" with some employees at a rec center, but the LEO never showed, Prince William County dispatcher told them I was within my rights.

This is where I talk about it:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=367&forum_id=54

I think Prince William County does an excellent job with its officers. It could be that I just have not run into any of the bad ones.

Overall, I would say I get more problems with anti than LEOs.

I had one anti: "Can you hide that gun?" add your ownloathing into those words,it was not asked nicely.
I replied "Yes"
After standing there about 30 seconds he said: "Well?!!?"
I looked at him "Well what?"
Him: "You going to hide that gun of yours?"
Me: "No, you asked if I could, not if I would."

He stalked off after that. I guess my friends laughing at my response didn't help his attitude either.

Overall, I have many more good encounters with people that want to know about why I carry. That is why I try to explain that it is for protection of my family. The "Do you wear a seatbelt" questions always seems to work well for those interested - just makes those that want to agrue with me mad, I don't agrue anyway. Agruing a right means someone might come up with a reason to revoke it.

"had one anti: "Can you hide that gun?" add your ownloathing into those words,it was not asked nicely.
I replied "Yes"
After standing there about 30 seconds he said: "Well?!!?"
I looked at him "Well what?"
Him: "You going to hide that gun of yours?"
Me: "No, you asked if I could, not if I would."

--------------------------

Hilarious. I need to remember to be quick and funny . I seem to be slow at that .

bohdi

imported post

I'm surprised this happened in Leesburg with as much history as there is up there. Then again, maybe not that surprised. Perhaps it's time for a field trip to downtown Leesburg for lunch, or a stop off after playing paint ball at hog back mountian?

rabbit994

imported post

nemo wrote:
Complaint, nothing. I wanted to sue for false arrest.

My lawyer stated that any legal action against the arresting cop would be a waste of money, apparently because the cop’s actions were given validity by the magistrate. I did not understand the legal niceties, but I did understand that he thought that I would be throwing money away. Now, I am generally in favor of making a statement, or even just being generally vindictive, but I do not even have the money to throw away, so my options were and are limited.

But, if anyone here is a lawyer, or knows of one, who thinks otherwise, then I still feel vindictive. He’s just gonna have to be patient about getting paid, that’s all.

If it is not too late, I could still file a complaint, for what that is worth. It’s just that I did not think that it would be worth that much, so I took the easy way out.
Call Richard Gardner, He's attorney who represented Senator Webb's aide with DC thing. He may not do civil cases but most attorneys keep a address book with Attorney names who might be able to assist you. Also, contact VCDL isn't a bad idea but they are going to want proof of what happened. Having FOIA of entire incident ready to go wouldn't be a bad idea. See other topics on the board on how to draft one and contact Mike if you need more assistance, he might be willing to assist you.

LEO 229

imported post

See if you can get a copy of the police report... I would love to read what that put down...

Only getting your side of it but from what your saying... it stinks and they should not have locked you up.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Nemo,

Welcome to political activism. What you experienced wasone of the very things we address in pushing back into place respect for our human right to possess the means to self-defense.

Do please re-considerlegal actionor making a formal complaint. The police need to learn that they cannot, may not, do this.

Afellow in Denver won $8500 for a false-arrest. http://www.9news.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=70307

Regardlessof the money, you can bet theheavy-handedpolice are smarting over the rebuff!! You can bet it will be some time before they try that again in Denver.

savery

imported post

This is absolute horseshit. You were unlawfully arrested, unlawfully detained, and charged with a felony (even if you were carrying concealed, it would only have been a misdemeanor unless it was a repeat offense. You should have the cops and magistrate charged with kidnapping (it was) and then sued until they're standing on the corner with a change cup. Worthless cowards. Sacks of shit like these cops are the deterrent to liberty.

savery

imported post

Call the NRA. Call the GOA. Call the VCDL. Raise high holy shit. I don't live too far so I'll help. Anyone want to do some OCing in Leesburg? I'll join. Sorry but I don't stand up for treasonous acts by government officials ( for the blatant violation of amendments 2, 4, 5, 8, 9, and 10)

And while we're talking Loudon:

Loudon has an ordnance against carrying a firearm along any public road. Does anyone know if this counts in the towns? Leesburg doesn't have an ordnance against it, but does the county code extend into the towns?

LEO 229

imported post

savery wrote:
Call the NRA. Call the GOA. Call the VCDL. Raise high holy shit. I don't live too far so I'll help. Anyone want to do some OCing in Leesburg? I'll join. Sorry but I don't stand up for treasonous acts by government officials ( for the blatant violation of amendments 2, 4, 5, 8, 9, and 10)

And while we're talking Loudon:

Loudon has an ordnance against carrying a firearm along any public road. Does anyone know if this counts in the towns? Leesburg doesn't have an ordnance against it, but does the county code extend into the towns?
Can you post the code for Loudon you mentioned?

LEO 229

imported post

Citizen wrote:

You must be on the juice again... your fired up tonight...

I have confidence you will beat him. You my hero!