• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NBC NEWS - Bloomy Gun Give Away

DeadCenter

imported post

I just caught a small segment on the gun give away this Thursday on NBC. Can not find a link.

Although the did not say anything bad, they did say the city council was upset over the idea. However, they also mentioned it was legal and the council could do nothing about it.

I still get concerned over the publicity. Not all publicity is good publicity. I think the anti's are going to take this and run with it. I sit here and know the winners will have to go though a background check and all the formal procedures. I am sure I am out numbered by those who will not think that far. I like VA guns laws. I would hate to see the our fight for our rights as americansbackfire.

DC

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I understand your concern... part of me worries about the same thing. With that said, publicity is ALSO one way that opencarry and the VCDL gain new members. I first joined VCDL while in Santa Barbara, California - I was born and raised in Virginia, and am from Powhatan, but I was working on my PhDoutin Californiaand read a Richmond Times-Dispatch story on-line that mentioned the VCDL, so I did a web search, found the page, then joined! I am not sure how many people come to opencarry and VCDL through publicity, but it has to be more than just myself.

Ioccasionallyread complaints about VA gun laws on this board, because we are second amendment stalwarts and things can always be even better. However, Virginia's current gun laws are almost as good as it gets... especially when compared to 47 other states (I said "almost" - don't jump on me!). After a few years of significant forward progress with Virginia gun laws, the last couple years the meeting of the General Assembly has resulted in only a few minor improvements toour gun laws (butno steps backwards). My concern about any publicity that "fires up" the other side right now would be that it may assist Democrats in taking over BOTH houses of the General Assembly this year .... so we better work hard tomake sure that doesn't happen! We could lose one house and most likely nothing would happen - no more improvements, no steps backwards. If we lost both houses, we could possibly see some steps backwards.

All in all, I fully support the Bloomberg Gun Giveaway, but let's be careful in how we present ourselves. There will be a lot of media at this event, I suspect - including New York and national media. I worry that a (very few) of us could make all of us look bad if we are not careful.... so I'll repeat something I've said before... when on TV or giving a reporter a quote, don't let yourself get carried away! Stick to the subject, and please avoid offensive silliness such asmentioning that Bloomberg is a "non-Christian" (that one really bothered me), etc.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Through Manassas, and through the Bloomberg Gun Giveaway (BBGG), and the VT murdersmembership has continued to increase. Pro-VCDL mail to leadership runs 20 to 1 against the anti-vcdl mail. And the anti-mail is normally just foul personal attacks, cursing, and finger pointing (the blood will be on your hands, etc ).

Example:

Dear Sirs,

May I please have a list of all the members as well as where each of them works. I am working on a massive boycott of every business that employs or is owned by a VCDL member as long as VCDL is calling for a boycott of colesGun Shop in South Boston, Va.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank You,

Darrin Talbott

----------

But it turns out he was just looking for approval from his anti-friends..

See http://halifaxtalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1752

VA-alert subscription has grown to, at last check, almost 6000 subscribers.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Thanks, Pourshot. Publicity is a good thing! Let'sall conitnueworking together to insure that our publicity is as good as possible. I love when VCDL is publicly represented for what it is - a grassroots, pro-liberty organization comprised of a wide array of citizens - Democracy in action. I hate when we are portrayed otherwise....

DeadCenter

imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
Thanks, Pourshot. Publicity is a good thing! Let'sall conitnueworking together to insure that our publicity is as good as possible. I love when VCDL is publicly represented for what it is - a grassroots, pro-liberty organization comprised of a wide array of citizens - Democracy in action. I hate when we are portrayed otherwise....

SST -- I am a member as well and support the cause. My main concerned is what you said above "when we are portrayed otherwise". VA is often in the spotlight for it's gun laws. And often the information is incorrect. Damn media.

The problem with losing both houses is of huge concern to me. I can take it if we do not go forward or backwards with our gun laws as I think they are good. But, backwards wouldNOT be in the best interest of the people. Not in todays world.

After 9-11 the future of all Americans living in a safe society became very shaky. I do not understand those who do not understand that.

DC

NRA-Member

VCDL-Member

And sworn to uphold the constitution.

vermonter

imported post

I agree VA's Gun laws are not bad

> However, Virginia's current gun laws are almost as good as it gets... especially when compared to 47 other states <

However, Virginia's police are near the top when it comes to harassment. Drive up I-95 and see all the powder blue sedans pulling anyone they can. I can think of many states with good gun laws where the police leave you alone unless you are doing some serious traffic violation. Kentycky, Vermont, Montana, Maine all come to mind. I have driven in Vermont all my life and have never been issued a ticket. I have been pulled over for no good reason on I-95 before from VA-FLand questioned where I am going. It's none of anyones business where I am going! I would rather live in a state where the police have a tighter leash, and the people take care of thier own problems without state interference.

Also a quote on this post:

>After 9-11 the future of all Americans living in a safe society became very shaky. I do not understand those who do not understand that.<

I understand it very well. Do you want more police to make you feel safer?

I DON"T!

>The problem with losing both houses is of huge concern to me.<

We have already lost both houses a long time ago. The republicans throw us the no gun control bone or the anti abortion carrot. The Democrats throw the anti-gun and pro-abortion carrot. They both have the same agenda, and you know it! More oil, more controlling mega corporations, Exxon making record profits while YOU payover $3 a gal at the pump. If everyone would get out of the "third party can never win" mindset, perhaps it would. Ross came close and Jesse made it! Votefor the real pro 2A party, Libertarians.http://www.lp.org/ (notpolitical spam,just a wake up call for 2A rights andAMERICA and those who care about our future)

DeadCenter

imported post

vermonter wrote:
I agree VA's Gun laws are not bad

> However, Virginia's current gun laws are almost as good as it gets... especially when compared to 47 other states <

However, Virginia's police are near the top when it comes to harassment. Drive up I-95 and see all the powder blue sedans pulling anyone they can. I can think of many states with good gun laws where the police leave you alone unless you are doing some serious traffic violation. Kentycky, Vermont, Montana, Maine all come to mind. I have driven in Vermont all my life and have never been issued a ticket. I have been pulled over for no good reason on I-95 before from VA-FLand questioned where I am going. It's none of anyones business where I am going! I would rather live in a state where the police have a tighter leash, and the people take care of thier own problems without state interference.

Also a quote on this post:

>After 9-11 the future of all Americans living in a safe society became very shaky. I do not understand those who do not understand that.<

I understand it very well. Do you want more police to make you feel safer?

I DON"T!

No - Not necessarily -- I just never want to lose the right to protect myself and my family. And of course I speak of the RKBA.

DC

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

pourshot wrote:
...SNIP

Dear Sirs,

May I please have a list of all the members as well as where each of them works.  I am working on a massive boycott of every business that employs or is owned by a VCDL member as long as VCDL is calling for a boycott of coles Gun Shop in South Boston, Va.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank You,

Darrin Talbott
SNIP...

I think I can help here. I would encourage him to boycott my company. Of course that may make it difficult for him to pursue his legislative and law enforcement agendas.:what:

Regards

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

pourshot wrote:
Funny, I registered on the site he gave and low and behold Darrin is the webmaster for the site. (the one I posted)

Well a quick read of the forum told me that while I might keep an eye on it, I should not allow my computer to engage in unsafe computing. Now where did I put that filter...:banghead:

Did this guy offer you any clue as to why he thought a private organization had any responsibility to supply him its membership list? Did he offer his list in exchange?

Kind of double standard on his part don't you think?

Regards

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Did this guy offer you any clue as to why he thought a private organization had any responsibility to supply him its membership list? Did he offer his list in exchange?

Actually the email did give some indication. He is trying to defend what he sees as the underdog (cole's gun shop) against the big bad gun lobby.

(And trying to win some friends along the way. Not unlike an 8 year old making some prank phone calls.)

However, there seemed to be the remote glimmer of a possible conversion as I sent him as many VA-Alert segments as I could find on the Bloomberg and the Cole's situation. He said "thank you" and has not rattled the cage sine. I figure I can start posting VCDL stuff on the message board he seems to hang at....