Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Dumb Rules at Wal-Mart

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Buffalo Valley, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    329

    Post imported post

    I went to buy an airsoft pistol with my 12-yr-old, and the clerk had to unlock the rack to get the pistol out. Then, while my son was standing right there with his hand out, the clerk handed it to me, saying he couldn't place it in his hands, but had to give it to me.

    Is that a law? A corporate policy? A store policy? Either way, I'm getting tired of the incremental accumulation of these stupid nanny-state rules.

  2. #2
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    LeagueOf1291 wrote:
    ...the clerk handed it to me, saying he couldn't place it in his hands, but had to give it to me.

    Is that a law? A corporate policy? A store policy? Either way, I'm getting tired of the incremental accumulation of these stupid nanny-state rules.
    What's the problem? Seems like a reasonable practice.

    Your malevolence-o-meter may be in need of major adjustment.





  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    51

    Post imported post

    When I bought an airgun at the Walmart on Winchester (Memphis), the PPK/S airsoft I bought wasn't even on magnetic locks, and a week later I bought another airsoft at the Walmart in Germantown and that one wasn't even secured. Walmart must either be ratcheting down on their rules, or the employee fabricated a new regulation.

    Anyway, it was really pointless considering you were standing there with your son and he had your consent, and you probably ended up pointing it in his hands before you left the store...After all, a BB gun is just a step away from his first "assault rifle."

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    Must be a policy. Tennessee code does not give, that I can find, a meaning to firearm, pistol, or handgun. Nor can I find anything containing regulation on airsoft.

    They probably have it as a policy due to a number of states restricting purchases of airsoft guns to people under 18.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    147

    Post imported post

    You think thats bad, I went to a kmart to get 12g co2 for a science project. It was sitting on a shelf in the sporting good dept. I took it to the front, and the register lady had to card me because it was ammunition. (mind you, the firearms rounds were locked behind a cage in a seperate isle of the dept.)

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    428

    Post imported post

    I got carded for buying ammo for the first time in my life at the Wal-Mart in Hampton on Mercury Blvd. I'm 47. I've been told that on a good day I can pass for 40, but that sure as hell doesn't make me look under 21. I figure the guy making $10 an hour is just doing his job, and I don't wan't him to risk his paycheck for me. I never give people like him a hard time. This particular Wal-Mart is in a "bad" neighborhood, and if I had to guess I would say that they get a lot of pressure from HPD to check everybody. At least he didn't write my info down, so my ammo isn't "registered". Now that would make me go elsewhere. I was in line at Bass Pro Shop buying .357 SIG, 9mm Luger, and .45 ACP ammo, with a State Trooper in line behind me, and nobody asked me for ID. So it isn't everywhere around here that does it.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,882

    Post imported post

    Wal-Mart doesn't pay $10 an hour... be even nicer to the help.

    -ljp

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    54

    Post imported post

    I had a similar situation with regard to Ammo here in NY this weekend. I live in a rural town about 45 minutes from the closest Walmart. Dick's sporting goods had ammo on sale last week and so I asked my brother to pick some up for me. Well the guy said they wouldn't sell him 9mm or 380 because my brother doesn't have a 9mm on his permit. But they would sell him 38 Special because he has one of those on his permit. It is a shame in NY we have to have all of our handguns listed on our permits let alone have to produce them to buy ammo.

    To add to it my brother had called me on the phone from the store and asked me what I wanted him to do I said ask the guy about 44 magnum. The guy said nope can't sell it to you without it on your permit. I said tell the guy it is for a rifle (I have a Marlin 44). Nope. So I have a gun I can't buy ammo for in your "sporting goods" store.

    Interestingly enough I went to Walmart myself this weekend in another part of the state walked in bought 380 and 9mm with not so much as a how do you do.

    I asked my brother if the next time he was in the store to ask if that was a store policy or a law and then make the guy show the documentation of either. I hate rules like this whether store policy or law that are inconsistently applied and make no sense.


  9. #9
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    Meathook wrote:
    I had a similar situation with regard to Ammo here in NY this weekend. I live in a rural town about 45 minutes from the closest Walmart. Dick's sporting goods had ammo on sale last week and so I asked my brother to pick some up for me. Well the guy said they wouldn't sell him 9mm or 380 because my brother doesn't have a 9mm on his permit. But they would sell him 38 Special because he has one of those on his permit. It is a shame in NY we have to have all of our handguns listed on our permits let alone have to produce them to buy ammo.

    To add to it my brother had called me on the phone from the store and asked me what I wanted him to do I said ask the guy about 44 magnum. The guy said nope can't sell it to you without it on your permit. I said tell the guy it is for a rifle (I have a Marlin 44). Nope. So I have a gun I can't buy ammo for in your "sporting goods" store.

    Interestingly enough I went to Walmart myself this weekend in another part of the state walked in bought 380 and 9mm with not so much as a how do you do.

    I asked my brother if the next time he was in the store to ask if that was a store policy or a law and then make the guy show the documentation of either. I hate rules like this whether store policy or law that are inconsistently applied and make no sense.
    I do not know why you think these rules make no sense, I think it is perfectly fine.

    I was actually on my way home from work today, and was in a bad area and two kids were shooting at each other with pellet or airsoft guns, I didn't get enough time to see which, but it sounded like co2 gas.

    The parent should be the one to decide if the kid is responsible enough to use it in a mature fashion, at least for some of these that look very realistic from a distance.

    I am not saying they have to be 18 or 21 to purchase, but I think 13 might be a better age, maybe 16.

    A lot of states do have these types of laws, and in some they are just as strict as gun laws.

    Would you feel bad if you shot a 15 year old kid with an airsoft gun in a dark alley cause you thought he was going to rob you? I would.





  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Columbus Area, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    43

    Post imported post

    In Ohio, the airsoft guns are just out on the open shelf.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Spotsylvania County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    700

    Post imported post

    I'd suspect a combination of a loss prevention control and an anti-gun employee.
    ---

  12. #12
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ocean Shores, WA
    Posts
    593

    Post imported post

    openryan wrote:
    Meathook wrote:
    I had a similar situation with regard to Ammo here in NY this weekend. I live in a rural town about 45 minutes from the closest Walmart. Dick's sporting goods had ammo on sale last week and so I asked my brother to pick some up for me. Well the guy said they wouldn't sell him 9mm or 380 because my brother doesn't have a 9mm on his permit. But they would sell him 38 Special because he has one of those on his permit. It is a shame in NY we have to have all of our handguns listed on our permits let alone have to produce them to buy ammo.

    To add to it my brother had called me on the phone from the store and asked me what I wanted him to do I said ask the guy about 44 magnum. The guy said nope can't sell it to you without it on your permit. I said tell the guy it is for a rifle (I have a Marlin 44). Nope. So I have a gun I can't buy ammo for in your "sporting goods" store.

    Interestingly enough I went to Walmart myself this weekend in another part of the state walked in bought 380 and 9mm with not so much as a how do you do.

    I asked my brother if the next time he was in the store to ask if that was a store policy or a law and then make the guy show the documentation of either. I hate rules like this whether store policy or law that are inconsistently applied and make no sense.
    I do not know why you think these rules make no sense, I think it is perfectly fine.

    I was actually on my way home from work today, and was in a bad area and two kids were shooting at each other with pellet or airsoft guns, I didn't get enough time to see which, but it sounded like co2 gas.

    The parent should be the one to decide if the kid is responsible enough to use it in a mature fashion, at least for some of these that look very realistic from a distance.

    I am not saying they have to be 18 or 21 to purchase, but I think 13 might be a better age, maybe 16.

    A lot of states do have these types of laws, and in some they are just as strict as gun laws.

    Would you feel bad if you shot a 15 year old kid with an airsoft gun in a dark alley cause you thought he was going to rob you? I would.


    A teenager pointing a "gun" at me in a dark alley?How is that any different froma 3 time felon pointing a gun at me. They were both out to do me harm and Iwould reactinanyway I could that would ensure my safety. If that meant I had to shoot them? It was their choice to attack me. They should be the ones feeling bad.

    LoveMyCountry




  13. #13
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    Sure, but I meant in a sense that children do not use the same amount of reason that a normal adult would, they may think that playing a 'prank' or their idea of a prank on someone is funny.

    Big IF, -- If a kid thought it might be funny to scare someone with a cap gun or air pistol, even non functional, it very well may cause an armed citizen to fire on them due to them fearing for their safety. It could even be an adult doing it, but when you are an adult and do it you deserve to be shot, children just do not have the reasoning behind it to see the consequences of their own actions, at least a lot of them.

    The point is that you could end up shooting an 'unarmed' kid, and no matter what you say 99% of juries will put you behind bars for that even though it was clearly not through any fault of your own. Especially when gun violence and things of the sort are glorified daily on mtv, bet, and other 'pop culture' channels and media outlets.

    Oh- and a three time felon pointing a gun at you, well at least it couldnt happen in new york

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Corbin, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    45

    Post imported post

    In Kentucky the BB and pellet guns are on the shelf of the Wally world but they can't sell to anyone under 16. Maybe your state has similar laws?

  15. #15
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    Some of our city ordinances prohibit these types of guns by people younger than x age, some also state how you can transport it.

    Although I have no need for an air/pellet gun, I assume my handgun permit would be plenty to do whatever I wanted with one, beside try to inflict damage to someone else.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Columbus Area, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    43

    Post imported post

    It doesn't matter whether a kid or an adult is pointing a gun at you. If you feel your life is threatened, you can act to defend yourself. Kids should not be in alleyways anyway, especiallyafter dark.

    I think the average adult can discern between a good natured kid just playing around and a little street thug trying to do them harm, or threaten them.

  17. #17
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    usmc_recon wrote:
    I think the average adult can discern between a good natured kid just playing around and a little street thug trying to do them harm, or threaten them.
    I agree that it should be thus. But every once in a while you hear about a cop shooting a 9 year old kid with a toy gun. That's a bit different situation, of course, since cops have a higher incidence of being targets. But the overall situation structure is the same for civilians.

    I differentiate between an adult-like kid (thuggie) and children. I do not believe children can ever hurt me intentionally. In the extremely unlikely event a child ever points a (real or toy) gun at me, I would never even think of responding by drawing mine. If anything, I'd just go over and take it away from the whippersnapper. If it turns out to be a real gun, I'd immediately report it to police so the parent could be locked up immediately.

  18. #18
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ocean Shores, WA
    Posts
    593

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    usmc_recon wrote:
    I think the average adult can discern between a good natured kid just playing around and a little street thug trying to do them harm, or threaten them.
    I agree that it should be thus. But every once in a while you hear about a cop shooting a 9 year old kid with a toy gun. That's a bit different situation, of course, since cops have a higher incidence of being targets. But the overall situation structure is the same for civilians.

    I differentiate between an adult-like kid (thuggie) and children. I do not believe children can ever hurt me intentionally. In the extremely unlikely event a child ever points a (real or toy) gun at me, I would never even think of responding by drawing mine. If anything, I'd just go over and take it away from the whippersnapper. If it turns out to be a real gun, I'd immediately report it to police so the parent could be locked up immediately.
    :shock: Uh, what's the weather like in this world you live in? :P

    Let me see if I understand your post. You would just walk towards a gun being pointed at you, because you believe that children could never intentionally hurt you? Bullets don't care who is pulling the trigger so that innocent little angel can still make you DEAD. Then you would just take the gun from them? What if they don't want you to? What if they are now feeling threatened by you? They'll get in trouble if you tell on them, how can they stop you from doing that? Yes, whippersnappers can and do think like that. Will they feel sorry later on? Yes. Will you still be dead? Yes.

    Then, to top it all off, you would lock up the parents, because they obviously were the cause of Junior pointing a gun at you? They must have held him down, duct taped it into his hands, pointed him your way and said "Attack!". Maybe his parents have done everything they could to control Junior and he won't listen. Maybe Junior is a psycho. Maybe his school dispensed Ritalin didn't work that day.

    Are children likely to cause us harm? No. Is it a possibility that we should be aware of when we see them doing decidedly un-childlike things? Absolutely.

    LoveMyCountry




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •