• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man Arrested for Open Carry!

Kingfish

imported post

eye95 wrote:

Thanks for the bump. Do you have a link to the report? Also, I noticed that Mike made a valid point near the beginning of the thread. Once the man entered his truck, he needed a permit to carry, or he was, in fact, illegally carrying!

He did have a permit which was unlawfully pulled for this incident.

AL Ranger

imported post

Sorry, but I have to agree with the LEO's and Wal-Mart on this one.

First, an 18 y/o can't purchase, therefore own, a pistol.

Second, it is against the law to carry on property when you have been advised against it. Wal-Mart is private property opened to the public, with certain restrictions. The laws in Alabama state you canOC in public on public property (except where excluded), you can carry on your own property or private property (where authorized). He was on private property (unauthorized as told by store management). They don't have to post a sign, all they have to do is tell you that you can't come in armed.

Third, that @#$%^$# of a teen-ager made the rest of us look like fools for open-carry. It's idiots like that get us all painted with the broad brush of "stupidity". He needs to be taken to the woodshed and get his butt blistered.

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

You must be 21 topurchase a gun from an FFL, however,anyonecan have a firearm passed down to them, or can purchase a gun from anyone that is not an FFL at any age. Minimum age to OC is 18. Sorry I can't cite right now, butthese are well defined matters that have been settled many times before.

Welcome to the site AL Ranger! We'll let you know about any upcoming events.

REB

imported post

Almost correct, you have to be 18 to own a pistol in Alabama (13A-11-76). There is no age requirement on long guns.

By federal law you have to be 21 to buy a pistol from a licensed dealer but in Alabama you can legally by a pistol from another individual at 18.

AL Ranger

imported post

Greatly appreciate it! But, I'm concerned with the state/federal hassle when it comes to guns. The so-called "strawman purchase" of buyng for someone who according to federal statutes isn't allowed to purchase a firearm. If he's allowed to own one, fine! But a jerk with a gun becomes anyone with a gun is a jerk.

Thanks again for the welcome! I plan on being here A LONG TIME!

eye95

I just thought I'd bring this thread back up. My initial posts in it are embarrassingly uninformed.

I just read the whole flipping thing. It is educational. All Alabama OCers should read it.

And Mr. Mathis needs to join ALOC!