• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wal-Mart in the News Again

bayboy42

imported post

Over in the Alabama section, there is a thread developing about a young man arrested for openly carrying a firearm inside of a Wal-Mart. I'm bring this topic over to the VA section for discussion because Wal-Mart questions seem to pop-up almost monthly. While reading the thread in the Alabama section, I stumbled across something startling which flies directly in the face of the voice mail that several of us have saved for any negative Wal-Mart encounters. Its impossible to verify the validity of this e-mail as the "From" information has been ommitted!!

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Wal-Mart's Policy About Concealed Weapons on Their Premises[/font]

[align=left]For those of you who have encountered "NO CONCEAL CARRY" signs on your local Wal-Mart front doors. The reason why the signs are up is because they are in the computer. When a store manager orders new signs, if that manager is anti-gun, he can order those signs and put them up. The Wal-Mart corporate policy goes against these managers. You can call up Wal-Mart and tell them that said manager is going against the corporate policy and the signs will be taken down. I know because this has happened a couple of times here in South Carolina and it has been pursued and the signs have been removed.[/align]
[align=left]Below is the letter I received from corporate HQ to confirm what I am referring to:[/align]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]DATE: Friday, April 16,1999 2:13 PM[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Subject: RE: Firearms[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Thank you for contacting Wal-Mart regarding our concealed handgun policy. Wal-Mart was founded by Sam Walton on three basic principles. Strive for Excellence, Service to our Customers, and Respect for the Individual. It is that respect for the individual that led us to create the current policy pertaining to concealed handguns.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]The following is our policy......If a Wal-Mart customer has been awarded a concealed handgun license by the state government, Wal-Mart will follow the direction of the state. However, if at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property, With the exception of law enforcement personnel, Wal-Mart does not allow any exposed weapons to be worn or carried in public view on Wal-Mart property or in Wal-Mart stores. Customers other than law enforcement personnel wearing or carrying a weapon in an exposed manner will be asked to leave the property immediately.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]We appreciate your concern and trust that this message has addressed your concerns regarding this issue.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Thank you,[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.[/font]

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dang, I've open carried on several occasions in my local china mart. No one has ever asked me to leave. Maybe I'm doing something wrong and don't appear to be a threat?;)

bayboy42

imported post

beradcee....i acknowledged that voicemail in my original post. Just playing Devil's Advocate here.....but how do we know that voicemail isn't complete BS?!?!?!?!:what::shock: What gives that voicemail anymore standing then the e-mail I posted?

I too have OC'd on MANY occasions in several Wal-Marts and have not once had a problem. I'd still like to know what the REAL WM policy is just in case I'm ever confronted.

ParaWarthog

imported post

As an Alabama resident, I must say that we have feared for some time that something like this would happen. I have personally met another individual who was harrassed by an LEO for OC and had his pistol permit revoked. It took an attorney to get it back to him.

Having said this, I'm strongly considering contributing to this unfortunate individual's legal defense fund, because this could be our version of the "Starbucks incident" that you Virginians benefited from.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have never seen any signs at Walmart stores in Virginia, but I did see one in Carlsbad New Mexico. But they sell alcoholic beverages so by state law you cannot carry there. I did not see any in Abaline Texas.

Regards

DeadCenter

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
I have never seen any signs at Walmart stores in Virginia, but I did see one in Carlsbad New Mexico. But they sell alcoholic beverages so by state law you cannot carry there. I did not see any in Abaline Texas.

Regards

I thought the beverage rule only applied if the place served the alcohol for on premises consumption?

DC

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DeadCenter wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:

Regards

I thought the beverage rule only applied if the place served the alcohol for on premises consumption?

DC
In Virginia that is the case. In New Mexico, anyplace that sells alcohol is off limits to carry of weapons of any kind. and believe it or not EVERYPLACE sell alcohol there. I had trouble finding a place to eat where I could carry. Even the Subway sold beer and that made it off limits. I stopped into a gun shop for some ammo, and the owner told me that the way the law is written in NM that technically a motel room with a mini bar might get someone in trouble, because the contents of that bar ore for sale.

HERE is a cite with the text of the law there.

Regards

DeadCenter

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
DeadCenter wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:

Regards

DC
In Virginia that is the case. In New Mexico, anyplace that sells alcohol is off limits to carry of weapons of any kind. and believe it or not EVERYPLACE sell alcohol there. I had trouble finding a place to eat where I could carry. Even the Subway sold beer and that made it off limits. I stopped into a gun shop for some ammo, and the owner told me that the way the law is written in NM that technically a motel room with a mini bar might get someone in trouble, because the contents of that bar ore for sale.

Regards
You mean open or concealed is off limits everywhere? Even a 7-11?

DC

bayboy42

imported post

Per Usual, Hawk is mostly correct:lol:

Per packing.org, there seems to be some confusion over the wording concerning carry in establishments that sell alcohol:

30-7-3. Unlawful carrying of a firearm in licensed liquor establishments.
A. Unlawful carrying of a firearm in an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages consists of carrying a loaded or unloaded firearm on any premises licensed by the regulation and licensing department for the dispensing of alcoholic beverages except:
(1) by a law enforcement officer in the lawful discharge of his duties;
(2) by the owner, lessee, tenant or operator of the licensed premises or his agents, including privately employed security personnel during the performance of their duties;
(3) by a person in that area of the licensed premises usually and primarily rented on a daily or short-term basis for sleeping or residential occupancy, including hotel or motel rooms;
(4) by a person on that area of a licensed premises primarily utilized for vehicular traffic or parking; or
(5) for the purpose of temporary display, provided that the firearm is:
(a) made completely inoperative before it is carried onto the licensed premises and remains inoperative while it is on the licensed premises; and
(b) under the control of the licensee or an agent of the licensee while the firearm is on the licensed premises.
B. Whoever commits unlawful carrying of a firearm in an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages is guilty of a fourth degree felony".

There still seems to be some confusion regarding our alcohol laws. Here's the complete text you need to understand. The word "dispense" in NM does not differentiate between on-premise or off-premise consumption.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
Per Usual, Hawk is mostly correct:lol:

Per packing.org, there seems to be some confusion over the wording concerning carry in establishments that sell alcohol:
...SNIP

(3) by a person in that area of the licensed premises usually and primarily rented on a daily or short-term basis for sleeping or residential occupancy, including hotel or motel rooms;
.... SNIP

And this is the one that is confusing people now. The feeling among some locals is that this refers to a restaurant or bar connected to a motel and exempts the rooms, But it does not exclude a room with a mini bar. The guy could not tell me of any cases where anyone got snagged for this but they are waiting for the shoe to drop. Technically the mini bar is a licensed dispensary where drinks are sold.

Regards

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:
.... SNIP

And this is the one that is confusing people now. The feeling among some locals is that this refers to a restaurant or bar connected to a motel and exempts the rooms, But it does not exclude a room with a mini bar. The guy could not tell me of any cases where anyone got snagged for this but they are waiting for the shoe to drop. Technically the mini bar is a licensed dispensary where drinks are sold.

Regards
Exactly, so (3) above clearly makes it exempt... Regardless of whether there's a minibar in the hotel/motel room, it's still "that area of the licensed premises usually and primarily rented on a daily or short-term basis for sleeping or residential occupancy"

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:
.... SNIP

Regards
Exactly, so (3) above clearly makes it exempt...  Regardless of whether there's a minibar in the hotel/motel room, it's still "that area of the licensed premises usually and primarily rented on a daily or short-term basis for sleeping or residential occupancy"

All I am saying is that people out there do not see this as a full exemption because the room is also a distribution point for alcohol sales. Not my view theirs.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
All I am saying is that people out there do not see this as a full exemption because the room is also a distribution point for alcohol sales. Not my view theirs.

I think they're out to lunch. Any DA that would bring someone up on charges for that would most likely get laughed out of the courtroom by the Judge...

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:

I think they're out to lunch.  Any DA that would bring someone up on charges for that would most likely get laughed out of the courtroom by the Judge...
Well one would hope. But then one would also expect a federal prosecutor not to charge Border patrol agents FOR ARRESTING ILLEGAL BORDER CROSSERS!:banghead: But it still happens.

Regards

bayboy42

imported post

I thought I'd hit this post again so it would show up in the main list, especially with all the Wal-Mart incidents going on. A large majority of people are ignoring the additional information that I tracked down and posted back at the beginning of this thread. I've repeated it below again with the caveat that I have no way to verify the e-mail. My point here is I don't think anyone really know what Wal-Marts policy is. Several folks have made some good points about pressing the issue with upper management and how it may not be the best idea for the open carry community as a whole. Again, just wanted to point out that per this e-mail, Wal-Mart does not allow open carry.

[line]

DATE: Friday, April 16,1999 2:13 PM

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Subject: RE: Firearms[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Thank you for contacting Wal-Mart regarding our concealed handgun policy. Wal-Mart was founded by Sam Walton on three basic principles. Strive for Excellence, Service to our Customers, and Respect for the Individual. It is that respect for the individual that led us to create the current policy pertaining to concealed handguns.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]The following is our policy......If a Wal-Mart customer has been awarded a concealed handgun license by the state government, Wal-Mart will follow the direction of the state. However, if at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property, With the exception of law enforcement personnel, Wal-Mart does not allow any exposed weapons to be worn or carried in public view on Wal-Mart property or in Wal-Mart stores. Customers other than law enforcement personnel wearing or carrying a weapon in an exposed manner will be asked to leave the property immediately.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]We appreciate your concern and trust that this message has addressed your concerns regarding this issue.[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Thank you,[/font]

[font="Verdana, sans-serif"]Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.[/font]

NytoVa

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
beradcee....i acknowledged that voicemail in my original post. Just playing Devil's Advocate here.....but how do we know that voicemail isn't complete BS?!?!?!?!:what::shock: What gives that voicemail anymore standing then the e-mail I posted?

I too have OC'd on MANY occasions in several Wal-Marts and have not once had a problem. I'd still like to know what the REAL WM policy is just in case I'm ever confronted.
Just to give you some background.......

I'm the one who received the voice mail and it was hosted by another forum member who had the capability.

When the original report came out that local Walmart managerswere organizing a ban on legally carried firearms in their stores I wrote a letter to corporate & local stores. I informed themthat I spend a lot of money each year at Walmart & Sams Club, thatI havecarried a firearm nearly every day for 30 years, and if I can't carry in their stores I would take my business elsewhere.

I receivedseveralBS responses andinsistedthat the response was not satisfactory. Then I got the voice mail from the regional manager's assistant.

The voice mail is real although I didedit out the assistant's name at the beginning of the MP3. I still have the original voice mail saved on my cell phone.

LEO 229

imported post

NytoVa wrote:

I'm the one who received the voice mail and it was hosted by another forum member who had the capability.

When the original report came out that local Walmart managerswere organizing a ban on legally carried firearms in their stores I wrote a letter to corporate & local stores. I informed themthat I spend a lot of money each year at Walmart & Sams Club, thatI havecarried a firearm nearly every day for 30 years, and if I can't carry in their stores I would take my business elsewhere.

I receivedseveralBS responses andinsistedthat the response was not satisfactory. Then I got the voice mail from the regional manager's assistant.

The voice mail is real although I didedit out the assistant's name at the beginning of the MP3. I still have the original voice mail saved on my cell phone.
Why did you edit out her name? Is that a secret or are you keeping her all to yourself? I believe she gave a phone number to call so who does one speak with? :D

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

Why did you edit out her name? Is that a secret or are you keeping her all to yourself? I believe she gave a phone number to call so who does one speak with? :D
Joe McQueen.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NytoVa wrote:

Did you call her back or speak to her after the message?