• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

91 yearold man beaten as people watch

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

kimbercarrier wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,272081,00.htmlIi
I saw this and can't believe these wusses just stand there and watch.I believe many if not all from this forum would have stepped in to help. Your not much of a man or human being to stand there and let something like this take place.

He's a pretty tough old guy , he took a good beating .
Needs a letter to the editor castigating the Detroit sheeple who did nothing.

Meathook

imported post

If I lived in the area I would find out who those guys were and make it my mission to get their pictures on every news paper and tv station.

beradcee

imported post

Hasn't anyone noticed, on all of the videos (world's wildest and all those) NOONE helps anyone they see in trouble. They all just stand there and watch someone get beaten, robbed, and killed. These people make me sick and so pissed off. My wife is really starting to understand and agree with me about carrying a gun. Because when the SHTF, you're all alone in a crowd of people.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

beradcee wrote:
Hasn't anyone noticed, on all of the videos (world's wildest and all those) NOONE helps anyone they see in trouble. They all just stand there and watch someone get beaten, robbed, and killed. These people make me sick and so pissed off. My wife is really starting to understand and agree with me about carrying a gun. Because when the SHTF, you're all alone in a crowd of people.

Amen to that! When "something" has to be done, we are the kind of people will do it because we just can't not do it. My whole family have always been the ones who help those in need and we will continue to do so no matter who the person is or what the situation is. Because of that, I want to be as prepared as Ican for whatever situations may arise.

LoveMyCountry

Smokewagon

imported post

There is a black top road that runs from Post, Texas in Garza countyto Gail, Texas in Borden county that has a corral on the roadside. There are always vultures sittin' on this corral fence. There is a tall gateway here. Send that piece of fecal matter on down this way please. Oh yeah, Git a rope.

Tomahawk

imported post

It's sickening, but I'm not really surprised. In a bad neighborhood, I wouldn't expect anyone to come to my aid. In fact, I'd expect some bystanders to cheer the thug on. And on top of that, every time we here of somebody stopping a violent act in progress, there's always that police chief or sherriff in the story to tell us "we don't condone acting like a vigilante, just be a good witness," blah blah blah.

This is world we live in today, unfortunately.

vermonter

imported post

Yeah, but I can think of a few states where the bystander who double tap him would get a medal. Montana, Wyoming, Kentucky, Indiana and West Virginia come to mind. Like the other poster said...."git a rope"!

swatpro911

imported post

kimbercarrier wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,272081,00.htmlIi
I saw this and can't believe these wusses just stand there and watch.I believe many if not all from this forum would have stepped in to help. Your not much of a man or human being to stand there and let something like this take place.

He's a pretty tough old guy , he took a good beating .
There is a saying,"you live alone, you die alone" I guess that guy wasn't worth saving or helping so people just watched. Sad thing for sure. "good deeds are remembered in the hearts of men" I guess for him it was the opposite.

LeagueOf1291

imported post

I haven't watched it either, LMC, for the same reason.

I was driving home one day last summer and saw a scuffle on the side of the road, two guys going at it, one sitting on top of the other one and beating him in the face.

The one taking the beating was calling for help. I stopped in the middle of the road, tucked my Glock 23 in a paddle holster in my belt, and ran to the fight.

I never drew my weapon. I just yelled at the one on top to stop. He said MYOFB, and I can imagine some situations where he might have been justified. He told me to leave or he'd kick my hiney too, but I said I wasn't going to leave a man to get beat up. He got up, wiped some blood off his busted knuckles, and walked away. Turned out to be two brothers fighting over I don't know what.

There's no doubt that I was much more confident going to the guy's rescue with my gun, even though I never drew it, and never even showed it.

The city police drove up shortly after the first guy left, asked what I knew, and that was that.

I can understand how people might be afraid to intervene -- but they need to hitch 'em up and do it anyway.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LeagueOf1291 wrote:
I was driving home one day last summer and saw a scuffle on the side of the road, two guys going at it, one sitting on top of the other one and beating him in the face.

The one taking the beating was calling for help. I stopped in the middle of the road, tucked my Glock 23 in a paddle holster in my belt, and ran to the fight.

I never drew my weapon. I just yelled at the one on top to stop. He said MYOFB, and I can imagine some situations where he might have been justified. He told me to leave or he'd kick my hiney too, but I said I wasn't going to leave a man to get beat up. He got up, wiped some blood off his busted knuckles, and walked away. Turned out to be two brothers fighting over I don't know what.

There's no doubt that I was much more confident going to the guy's rescue with my gun, even though I never drew it, and never even showed it.

Good intervention, I'd say. Kudos to you as you probablysaved some poor schmoe fromareally bad pummeling, possibly even death. Good non-use of a weapon, too. No need for it and it would have been very foolish to whip it out. Just either get the guy to stop and/or call 911 to get it reported.

It really amazes me how much physical violence a person can take. The 91 year old man took a wicked beating by the young badazz thug. But he came out OK, Godbless him. I hope that thug rots in jail for several years.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

(snip)

LeagueOf1291 wrote:

I never drew my weapon. I just yelled at the one on top to stop. He said MYOFB, and I can imagine some situations where he might have been justified.

You make a good point here. My wife asked me, "what they're just some dirt bags fighting over stolen moneyor drugs? Why would you jump in?" I told her that if anyone is asking for help and I do nothing, I'm no better than those dirt bags. However, it made me think. There are some people that deserve a good, passionate A-whoopin'. I hate to think I hold double standards, but maybe I do. I guess my standards have an age limit, and a 91 yo man is exempt from this double standard. This goes hand in hand with the tale of the frog and the scorpion...

A scorpion sits on the edge of a river and asks a frog for a ride across. The frog says, "If I do, you have promise not to sting me." The scorpion says, "I promise." Half way across the river, the scorpion digs his stinger into the frog. As he dies, the frog says, "why?" The scorpion says, "Because I'm a scorpion."

DeadCenter

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
(snip)

LeagueOf1291 wrote:

I never drew my weapon. I just yelled at the one on top to stop. He said MYOFB, and I can imagine some situations where he might have been justified.

I guess my standards have an age limit, and a 91 yo man is exempt from this double standard.
I saw this news report this AM - Another thing that disgusted me this morning. I believe I would have stepped in.
And that A##hole that beat the poor old lady in her hallway on camera, oh, lets not go there.

LeagueOf1291

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
(snip)

LeagueOf1291 wrote:

You make a good point here. .... There are some people that deserve a good, passionate A-whoopin'. I hate to think I hold double standards, but maybe I do. <snip>
I completely agree, on both counts. There's nothing bad about a double standard if there's good reason for it.

On the first count, I myself have deserved a serious whoopin' on occasion, and it might well be that the guy taking the pummeling actually had it coming. But I came by, and I didn't know how far it would go, and I'm just not going to go away without more. If it needed finishing, they could finish it later, but not on my watch.

On your second point, I don't care how wicked the 91-yr-old man might have been -- he's too old to just let him fend for himself.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I meant that in the situation with a 91 yo, I would definitely step regardless of the reason hisA$$ was getting beat. I think my general rule will be: anyone over the age of 70 will recieve my assistance without question. The rule changes to age 60 if they are wearing a Steelers jersey! ;)

All BS aside, I would like to think that I will step in and help anyone who asks me to. If I get stung, so be it.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
I meant that in the situation with a 91 yo, I would definitely step regardless of the reason hisA$$ was getting beat.

I agree. One has to do something to stop it. Even if one is not carrying, if there's a way to help the old manwe gotta do it. Doesn't look like the thug had a deadly weapon so the most he could do is kick our butt. Meantime, he can't beat up two people at once.

BTW, those guys in the background knew what wasgoing on. They couldn't have missed it. It just wunt any they bidness.

LeagueOf1291

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
I meant that in the situation with a 91 yo, I would definitely step regardless of the reason hisA$$ was getting beat. I think my general rule will be: anyone over the age of 70 will recieve my assistance without question. The rule changes to age 60 if they are wearing a Steelers jersey! ;)

All BS aside, I would like to think that I will step in and help anyone who asks me to. If I get stung, so be it.
That's what I understood you to say, and that's what I agree with (but my deference would be for the Titans).