• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The USAF to switch to .45 ACP

tarzan1888

imported post

Jeff Cooper said it this way,

“The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

:D

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
Jeff Cooper said it this way,

“The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002
:D

Of course Jeff was right.

Yea, he had seven shots available and others in the class had six shot revolvers in .38 special. He also had a 5" Barrel and they all had 3". His reload time were reduced by the magazine, and they were still reloading from a pile of ammo kept in a jacket pocket. It was fair, the other people just failed to bring the right equipment to make it equal.

Frankly, I have never considered there to be a requirement that a gun fight be "fair." Only that it be conducted within the rules of the application of deadly force, and that when it is over, I get to complete all the paperwork. To me that is a fair fight.

Regards

Collier4385

imported post

Indeed, Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. T. Michael Moseley remarked during a House subcommittee hearing in February that when he travels into the combat theater, he carries a .357.

“If I have to pull a sidearm,” he said, “I really don’t want to mess [around].

It doesn't say whether it is a .357 magnum or .357 Sig, but if he carries his own piece, obviously he lacks faith in the 9mm. When my dad was in the USMC, he spent some of his final months testing the berettas (his MOS was 2111) and he reported that they were junk even when they were phasing out the 1911s. But since it was NATO stylish, the 9mm replaced the revered .45ACP.

As for myself, I still hold fast to the .357 magnum. In the informal "shoot a log test", my .357 killed more hostile logs than my brother in laws 1911 .45. :D ;)

daniel.call

imported post

I think that Glock and the Springfield XD are out of the field. The military likes manual safeties. I think the 1911 may run into problems because of the nature of it's design. It makes people who don't understand it a little nervous. I hope the XD would never make it because of that stupid little beaver tail. The military is full of persons who are not very well trained on their firearms. They will give you the basics and then you are required to find out the rest on your own. I will bet money that they will chose a pistol with some kind of manual safety. The only thing I have run into in our inventories that still doesn't have a safety is the M2. We all know how old that is. If they replace it they will change that aspect.

tarzan1888

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
They will probably pick something with a key lockable safety.:lol:

Regards

If the Dem's have their way it will probably look something like this. :what:

Attachments

• ALGOREGUN.jpg
    ALGOREGUN.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,637

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Collier4385 wrote:
Indeed, Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. T. Michael Moseley remarked during a House subcommittee hearing in February that when he travels into the combat theater, he carries a .357.

“If I have to pull a sidearm,” he said, “I really don’t want to mess [around].

It doesn't say whether it is a .357 magnum or .357 Sig, but if he carries his own piece, obviously he lacks faith in the 9mm. When my dad was in the USMC, he spent some of his final months testing the berettas (his MOS was 2111) and he reported that they were junk even when they were phasing out the 1911s. But since it was NATO stylish, the 9mm replaced the revered .45ACP.

As for myself, I still hold fast to the .357 magnum. In the informal "shoot a log test", my .357 killed more hostile logs than my brother in laws 1911 .45. :D ;)

Despite very different appearances, as you know the .375 and 9mm are nominally the same bore size. Included in that same group would be the .380 auto and .38 special. There is only a small difference in diameter, and in a lot of applications the bullets can be used interchangeably. Only the muzzle velocity, bullet design and launching speeds are different.

So if the objective is to ignore damage from bullet expansion and only consider direct crush damage and penetration depth, there is still a significant difference between the .45 and the .357. The .45 will penetrate around 14 inches, and the .375 perhaps a little further. The higher velocity of the .357 does cause more hydraulic damage than the .45 but it does not cause near the same level of direct crush injury.

This of course sets aside the devotion to auto pistols. While an auto pistol based on the design of the 1911 chambered in .38 special was built in small numbers, it was never chambered in .357 mag, and it is not a very reliable performer, and capacity is limited by the rimmed .38 cases (same for .357).

So all in all the quickest way to field a pistol that can produce the desired effect on a human would be to use a variation on any of the better .45 auto pistols available today.

Regards

daniel.call

imported post

Sorry, I used poor terminology. I meant active and passive safeties or whatever terminology is proper. I don't think the caliber of pistols is worth worrying about too much. They almost never get used. If I had a choice between going for my sidearm or rifle I don't think I would have to think about it much. Besides, we are obsessed with shorter rifles anyway. We won't have to cut them down much more and we will be able to holster them.

psychophipps

imported post

I find it interesting that the U.S. is the only military out there not happy with 9mm NATO. The brits have used it for years and have no issues with the cartridge and niether do any number of other well-equiped and highly trained militaries around the world.
The truth, despite the hype, is that handguns aren't as effective at stopping people as rifles. Full stop. It doesn't matter if you hit your target with a .22 or a .454Casull, you need to hit the CNS or a major blood-bearing organ to stop your target with maximum efficiency. The idea that a simple swap to a harder to use for some people, lower capacity, and perhaps most importantly, lower penetration of light cover cartridge will magically turns these well-known facts around is ludicrous.

Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

psychophipps wrote:
I find it interesting that the U.S. is the only military out there not happy with 9mm NATO. The brits have used it for years and have no issues with the cartridge and niether do any number of other well-equiped and highly trained militaries around the world.
The truth, despite the hype, is that handguns aren't as effective at stopping people as rifles. Full stop. It doesn't matter if you hit your target with a .22 or a .454Casull, you need to hit the CNS or a major blood-bearing organ to stop your target with maximum efficiency. The idea that a simple swap to a harder to use for some people, lower capacity, and perhaps most importantly, lower penetration of light cover cartridge will magically turns these well-known facts around is ludicrous.

I would agree with most of what you said, but there has been some research done into the effectiveness of 9mm verses other cartridges. While clearly law enforcement application differer from military application, it could be argued that for pistols the requirement are similar enough to justify cross applicability of the study data.

The FBI Wounding Factors and Effectiveness study determined that-
Kinetic energy does not wound. Temporary cavity does not wound. The much discussed "shock" bullet impact is a fable and "knock down" power is a myth. The critical element is penetration. The bullet must pass through the large, blood bearing organs and be of sufficient diameter to promote rapid bleeding. Penetration less than 12 inches is too little, and in the words of two of the participants in the 1987 Wound Ballistics Workshop, "too little penetration will get you killed". Given desirable and reliable penetration, the only way to increase bullet effectiveness is to increase the severity of the would by increasing the size of the hole made by the bullet. Any bullet which will not penetrate through vital organs from less than optimal angles is not acceptable. Of those that will penetrate, the edge is always with the bigger bullet.

In the final analysis they selected the 10mm as a compromise between diameter and penetration. IT was found to be too powerful for many LEOs to routinely shoot reliably, and it was decided to go with less power to solve that issue. Ultimately this lead to the development of the .40S&W that is popular today.

Interestingly, the .40S&W is virtually identical to the .45 auto on paper. The major reason that the FBI selected the lower caliber round was to increase the capacity of the magazine. Presumably this allows for more shots on target, and compensates for the smaller diameter.

But you mentioned cover. In the testing mentioned above, it was determined that windshields and similar light cover will deflect the higher velocity 9mm, while a .40S&W or .45 Auto will shatter and defeat the cover. Moreover, in defeating the cover, these heavier bullets lost less velocity due to their greater inertia.

Arguably a combat pistol is used in much the same way as LEO pistol. Guard duty, motor pool drivers mechanics and similar personnel would tend to actually use a pistol more than the average soldier. For most military the pistol is a backup weapon, or close quarters tool. But it should still be an effective tool.

The reason we are using the 9mm today, is because NATO uses it and there was an idea that all NOTO countries should have compatible ammunition. This decision has nothing to do with effectiveness. The reason that NATO uses 9mm is because it is a common caliber in europe. It is common in europe, not because it is particularly effective compared to other calibers, but because of munitions manufacturing restrictions, and fighting philosophies dating back to the turn of the 20th century.

It must be recognized that in the last 100 years humans have actually gotten larger on average. This relates to improvement in diet and other factors. This tells us that the bullets used in the first half of the 20th century might not be as effective on human targets grown in the 21st century.

Today there are a number of pistols chambered for cartridges in the .40 to .45 caliber range (10mm-11.43mm. Most of those cartridges are better performers than the 9mm carried by NATO today. Many of those pistols are of double stack design and carry from 14 to 20 rounds in the magazine.

If I have a choice between providing our troops with the most effective sidearm or providing the ability to swap ammo with NATO, I will choose most effective every time. At some point in our history we have gone to war with most NATO countries. There is no guarantee this would never happen again. I certainly do not want to make weapons selections for our troops based on the idea that we won't.

Regards

PavePusher

imported post

You mean I might be issued a .45 before I retire from the AF??!! I think I'm gonna cry for joy! Sniff!!

Now if we can just get them to go to a .308 battle rifle...

And yes, this is a Nomex suit...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

PavePusher wrote:
You mean I might be issued a .45 before I retire from the AF??!! I think I'm gonna cry for joy! Sniff!!

I'll bet ten bucks it will be a Smith & Wesson!

:celebrate

psychophipps

imported post

My issue with .45ACP is that I use improvised metal targets (old water meter covers from a demolition job I worked a while back) when I hit the range sometimes and I regularly see .45 ACP dents in the targets right next to 9mm holes. Yes, the lighter loads of the 9mm will tend to deflect when hitting sloped targets but the smaller diameter and higher velocity also means that it's more likely to cut through rather than deform the medium and deflect if it's pliable like car doors and thin sheet metal. The .45ACP also has shown a distinct lack of the ability to penetrate light body armor that is becoming more and more common, even more so than 9mm NATO (which by all accounts is quite a bit hotter than even +P civilian stuff).

Just my opinion based on my observations...

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I hear you, but for defensive use, which all handguns are, you're just not going to be shooting water meter covers or through car doors all that often, unless one day your water meter reader goes bonkers and pulls a gun on you from his truck! :what:

And honestly, human combative targets are never flat and directly facing you.

tarzan1888

imported post

psychophipps wrote:
My issue with .45ACP is that I use improvised metal targets (old water meter covers from a demolition job I worked a while back) when I hit the range sometimes and I regularly see .45 ACP dents in the targets right next to 9mm holes. Yes, the lighter loads of the 9mm will tend to deflect when hitting sloped targets but the smaller diameter and higher velocity also means that it's more likely to cut through rather than deform the medium and deflect if it's pliable like car doors and thin sheet metal. The .45ACP also has shown a distinct lack of the ability to penetrate light body armor that is becoming more and more common, even more so than 9mm NATO (which by all accounts is quite a bit hotter than even +P civilian stuff).

Just my opinion based on my observations...

It is interesting what penetrates what.

I have heard the same line of thinking from some of my friends, but as BobCav said above we are not shooting meter covers.

Go to the following site and you will see all types of things that are shot with all kinds of rounds and you will note that all calibers don't penetrate the same on a lot of things.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

It is not really about penetration.

The bottom line is for flesh and blood targets, with ball ammo, (which the arm forces have to use)a .45 makes a bigger hole, they bleed out faster, end of story.

30 cal slut

imported post

- How does a 1911 (yes, even with the extra rattle rattle) hold up to sandy (and otherwise harsh)environments? Advantage Glock.

- How does the 1911 compare to say, a Glock in terms of partscomplexity, ease of maintenance and repair as well as logistical support? Advantage goes to Glock.

- As stated many times here, does the military prefer an external safety on its pistols? Advantage JMB 1911.

- Who out there already supplies the US Military and has an off-the-shelf .45 ACP pistol that is durable,operates in nasty environments,features an external decoking leverand is accurate enough for the job? Dare I say ... HK? (Not sure Sigs are up to the same punishment as HK's are).

:idea::celebrate:idea: