• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

University Campus Violence Prevention Petition

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Deterence possibly, in removing victim disarmament zones and these deranged killers fantasies of being allowed free reign to slaughter. Active prevention, should a permit holder be available to stop an active shooter with a well place bullet. The shooter would be prevented from further crimes.

Lew

imported post

What happens to these online petitions? What do you do with them?
I signed, anyway, just wondering.

LeagueOf1291

imported post

Lew wrote:
What happens to these online petitions? What do you do with them?
I signed, anyway, just wondering.
Thanks for signing, Lew. I'm going to have my State Rep out here and make him a pizza in my wood-fired oven, and then we'll watch a Braves game and have a couple of ice-cold Coronas con limon verde.

At about the seventh-inning stretch I'm going to show him how many signatures we have on this petition.

So everyone's help is appreciated.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LeagueOf1291 wrote:
HankT wrote:
How will your proposal prevent campus violence?
It imposes a new, victim-biased risk analysis on the prospective criminal.

1. And your proposition on the strength of deterring effect of same on the prospective criminal is?

2. How much would it diminish prospective criminal behavior? How do you know?

3. Would it have had any deterring effect on Cho Seung-Hui? How much? How do you know?

ET

imported post

HankT wrote:

3. Would it have had any deterring effect on Cho Seung-Hui? How much? How do you know?

He's about as deterred as he's going to get right now, don't you think?

LeagueOf1291

imported post

Well, if I had been there with my gun, Cho would have been dead sooner. I might even have saved 30+ students.

So nuts like Cho might or might not be deterred, but they would be stopped.

It takes a gun to stop a gunman.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LeagueOf1291 wrote:
HankT wrote:
LeagueOf1291 wrote:
HankT wrote:

1. And your proposition on the strength of deterring effect of same on the prospective criminal is?

Well, if I had been there with my gun, Cho would have been dead sooner. I might even have saved 30+ students.

Well, If I had been at Ford's Theatre with my trusty Dan Wesson P7one April evening a while back, things woulda been different too.

LeagueOf1291 wrote:
So nuts like Cho might or might not be deterred, but they would be stopped.

Well, if they are not deterred, then your proposal wouldn't actually prevent violence, as labled ("University Campus Violence Prevention").

False advertising orjust a feel good proposal?

Maybe both?

Kelly J

imported post

HankT wrote:
LeagueOf1291 wrote:
HankT wrote:

I'm going to butt in here and ask you a Question, How do you know that this proposal would not in fack deter a future like event from taking place not past tense but future tense?

You are very good at asking questions how are you at answering them?