• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My dream about open carry.

Slowalkintexan

imported post

Recently Ted Nugent made a very good statement about disadvantages of open carry. Or something to the effect that by open carrying you are setting yourself up as a target.
However, if the 65 million gun owners with CCW's or CPL's as they ae called in some states, were to all open carry I think it would be good. Is a bad guy going to try something when there are maybe a dozen people around him obviously armed.
Also think of the good it would do for the holster trade. Their business would boom with people buying newer and fancier carry rigs.
Well, just a dream, for now.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

We are all targets already whether we OC or not. The question is just when and where. I carry to protect myself and others. I open carry to remind people that they can do the same.

LoveMyCountry

VAopencarry

imported post

I would say is a bad guy going to try something with someone they KNOW is armed? I think not, or armored cars would be getting robbed left and right. The thugs do not want a shoot out. There are some crazies but for the most part a criminal is not going to F with someone they know can easily kill them.

The Motor City Madman is wrong on this one.

Do you have a link or reference where he said this?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

The tactical debate - CC v. OC - is kind of like the Miller Lite commercial - less filling, tastes great. Both sides have good arguments.

But the political upside to OC is the factor that I like.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Mike wrote:
Both sides have good arguments.

I disagree. Mostly. While in certain RARE instances a firearm could make you a target those scenarios are more far fetched than the oponents of OC will admit.
Fact is, the VAST majority of would be criminals are deterred by the sight of a firearm than will "target you". VAST MAJORITY.
To me this makes the "target" argument weak.

mzbk2l

imported post

I agree with Pa. Patriot. Most criminals are stupid, lazy people who look for opportunities to commit a crime they have good odds of getting away with.

Most criminals are NOT hardened combat veterans who decide to go after what they want at all costs, and are willing to take out the most dangerous threat first.

Just the fact that you are visibly armed will make the majority of criminals look elsewhere.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
Yet another good point. As anyone whom has ever OC'd in public can attest to, a lot of people plain old don't notice.

Yep, people do not go around looking for people who are oc'ing, as long as your are decent about it.

gsh341

imported post

I once read a quote from someone that went like this "Just because you own a guitar, doesn't make you a musician."

It's a great way to look at lots of thing in life. I may own a car, but that doesn't mean I can drive at Daytona. Unlessit's arace car and practice a lot. I also may have a gun, but that doesn't mean I'm safe unless I'm observant and practice a lot.

Part of carrying a weapon for self defense is being aware of your surroundings. If a bad guy was determined to rob a place and you were OCing, but unobservant, he may shoot you first just to get you out of the way. However, if you OC and are alert an observant, that bad guy may decide not to rob the place or come back after you leave.

OC is a big responsibility because you must be much more alert than when you CC. If you OC, good for you. Just be aware and alert so some wacko doesn't target you or try to take your gun.

If you CC, good for you too, but still observe your surroundings.

vrwmiller

imported post

gsh341 wrote:
OC is a big responsibility because you must be much more alert than when you CC. If you OC, good for you. Just be aware and alert so some wacko doesn't target you or try to take your gun.
I agree. Open carrying is a big responsibility. However, I would like to take it one step further. Exercizing one's RKBA, whether open or concealed, is an awesome responsibility.

I think that is what most people miss with any right. Yes, it's a right. A right not granted by the constitution, but one protected by the constitution. However, every right comes with an equal responsibility to handle that right properly.

Unfortunately, there are many people who take their rights for granted and don't exercize the appropriate responsibility for managing it (*cough* media *cough* *spit* *vomit*)

badmonkey

imported post

I hate it when people bring up the so called "tactical advantage" of concealed carry. They say you are a target but NOT ONE of them has been able to link to a story where someone was targeted because of their pistol.

Open carry is a choice, some people choose to, some choose not to, but I for one am sick of all the infighting between gun owners over open carry. You don't like your right to keep and BEAR arms, fine, don't use it, but don't tell me I'm in the wrong for exercising it.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

badmonkey wrote:
Open carry is a choice, some people choose to, some choose not to, but I for one am sick of all the infighting between gun owners over open carry. You don't like your right to keep and BEAR arms, fine, don't use it, but don't tell me I'm in the wrong for exercising it.
This is a great two sentance reply to the generic OC vs CC debate.
Perhaps just add
"...fine, don't use it and hide your firearm like a criminal does, but don't tell me...

ChefSMW

imported post

could'nt find any reference of Ted Nugent saying that, but I did find this

http://freenewhampshire.blogspot.com/2007/05/ted-nugent-on-self-defense.html

launch.png
launch.png

edit:corrected wrong address
launch.png
launch.png

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Here's a scenario to help weigh your thoughts about OC and making yourself a target.

You've stopped in an all-night gas station/food mart to fuel your car and buy something to drink on your way home. It's 12:45 AM, on a Sunday morning. While you are looking at the soft drink selections, several BG's enter the store and commence a robbery. One sees you and sees your gun. Mind you, they have already begun their mischief.

More than likely, one of two reactions will play out. They will exit the premises quickly as they believe you to probably be a cop. Or they will immediately engage you in a mini-firefight.

There is a third event to this scenario. If you are doing as you should all the time, especially when armed, you are aware of your surroundings and operating in Condition Yellow. As soon as you see some surly dudes enter the store, cover your firearm with your shirt. Now you have given yourself a slight edge and perhaps a better chance should robbery not satisfy their designs.

And then there's this. Suppose you are exiting the store and going back to your car when you see these fellows approach the store. If they see your piece, more than likely, they will either change their mind and leave or wait until you leave. If you are carrying concealed, they will probably continue with their plans. So there is a residual positive to OC'ing in some questionable situations.

MamaLiberty

imported post

I open carry all the time here in Wyoming and South Dakota, and firmly believe that everyone should carry - one way or another - if at all possible. They should take the full responsibility for it and get as much training and practice as possible, of course.

That said, even if it was legal in these places, open carry would probably not be the best idea for a lone person in South Central Los Angeles or anywhere large gangs hang out. (I used to live in the area.)

No matter how good you are, if a group of bad guys decide to surround you and overwhelm you, they probably will. They'll also take your weapon and quite possibly kill you.

If you can stay away from such places, you've likely got it made. If you can't, don't go alone even if you carry and know what to do with it. So do they...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
No matter how good you are, if a group of bad guys decide to surround you and overwhelm you, they probably will. They'll also take your weapon and quite possibly kill you.

Not to argue. I just can't escape the idea that a gang would leave you alone because they know you're going to shoot several before they get the gun.

Sorta like the old Daniel Boone TV series were Fess Parker points the flintlock at three bad-guys. One challenges, "You can't shoot all of us." Parker says, "Who wants to be first?"

Tomahawk

imported post

Citizen wrote:
MamaLiberty wrote:

Not to argue. I just can't escape the idea that a gang would leave you alone because they know you're going to shoot several before they get the gun.

Sorta like the old Daniel Boone TV series were Fess Parker points the flintlock at three bad-guys. One challenges, "You can't shoot all of us." Parker says, "Who wants to be first?"

It's my belief that if you are carrying a gun, you should be avoiding places where you're likely to get into trouble if you can. That includes gang land. If you have to go there, drawing attention to yourself is probably not a good idea. OC may be a deterent to 2 or 3 7-11 robbers, but stupid humans get stupider in large groups (like street gangs full of self-loathing adolescants).

I'm not saying don't ever do it, that's your call, I'm just saying I wouldn't do it.

MamaLiberty

imported post

Maybe, but I sure wouldn't want to take the chance. You can't shoot the one in back of you who just pulled a big knife...

Remember that these are areas where even full teams of police won't go after dark - or if a riot starts.

Not worth it.