• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My dream about open carry.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
It's my belief that if you are carrying a gun, you should be avoiding places where you're likely to get into trouble if you can. That includes gang land. If you have to go there, drawing attention to yourself is probably not a good idea. OC may be a deterent to 2 or 3 7-11 robbers, but stupid humans get stupider in large groups (like street gangs full of self-loathing adolescants).

I'm not saying don't ever do it, that's your call, I'm just saying I wouldn't do it.

Agreed. I guess another down-side is that I wouldn't want to educate gang-members that OC is their constitutional right.

ChefSMW

imported post

unrequited wrote:
ChefSMW wrote:
could'nt find any reference of Ted Nugent saying that, but I did find this

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum6/2600.html
launch.png
launch.png
Um... you realize you just "found" the first post in this thread right? HAHAHAHA.

Welcome to the forum?
lol...damn, Im good like that :) Meant to post this

http://freenewhampshire.blogspot.com/2007/05/ted-nugent-on-self-defense.html

thanks for the welcome
launch.png

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
I open carry all the time here in Wyoming and South Dakota, and firmly believe that everyone should carry - one way or another - if at all possible. They should take the full responsibility for it and get as much training and practice as possible, of course.

That said, even if it was legal in these places, open carry would probably not be the best idea for a lone person in South Central Los Angeles or anywhere large gangs hang out. (I used to live in the area.)

No matter how good you are, if a group of bad guys decide to surround you and overwhelm you, they probably will. They'll also take your weapon and quite possibly kill you.

If you can stay away from such places, you've likely got it made. If you can't, don't go alone even if you carry and know what to do with it. So do they...

Good points and you're right about gangs and their methods. Attacks can come with amazing speed and they don't stand around and wait their turn at you as in the movies. Three, four, five street guys beating up on you will cause a LOT of damage in a very short amount of time.

I agree with your's and others' assessments that staying away from areas where BGs and gangs congregate is a smart and wise thing to do.. regardless whether you are armed or not. Real life is a far cry from TV and the movies.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
It's my belief that if you are carrying a gun, you should be avoiding places where you're likely to get into trouble if you can. That includes gang land. If you have to go there, drawing attention to yourself is probably not a good idea. OC may be a deterent to 2 or 3 7-11 robbers, but stupid humans get stupider in large groups (like street gangs full of self-loathing adolescants).

I'm not saying don't ever do it, that's your call, I'm just saying I wouldn't do it.

Agreed. I guess another down-side is that I wouldn't want to educate gang-members that OC is their constitutional right.
Many/most gang members have some criminal record that would make them not want to OC. They are known to LE and would not appreciate the attention they would garner.

Also I think that we are tending fictionalize the possibilities of what might happen to us (becoming targets) if we do OC. Mind you I am not dismissing the possibility but only suggesting that I think that it is a lot like the scenes painted by the gun grabbers when Shall Issue was being first considered here in Va. - much exaggerated.

I too believe in the political and educational benefits of OC. I tend to wear very light tan jeans, sharply pressed on the week-ends (dressy and comfortable) with an ironed, tucked in sport shirt. I either carry a full size. blue 1911 or a chrome .40 cal (both in condition 1) in very dressy leather with matching dbl. mag carriers. belt & cell phone case - my point here is that they do not blend in with my clothing - they are very obvious. The employees of the restaurant I frequent for Sat. and/or Sun. breakfast all greet me by name and thereby calm any timid liberals. The bookstore and Wally World are generally on my route and have grown accustomed to my face and condition. In the evening D and I are always seen at one eatery or another (some considered unfriendly) and are always treated pleasantly. Sure I have received "looks" from time to time but I nod and smile, acknowledging their stares and tossing them a conciliatory cookie. All in all I think that I am successfully creating more positive reactions and thinking than negative ones. I have answered many questions, directed numerous individuals how to get their CHPs and caused some to subscribe to Va-Alerts and possible VCDL membership. As long as this is the case and the law allows, I will continue to OC.

Do I avoid high risk areas, stay at a minimum of condition yellow and follow other common sense guidelines? Of course. Besides the extra vigilance while OCing is good training reinforcement.

Yata hey

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Many/most gang members have some criminal record that would make them not want to OC. They are known to LE and would not appreciate the attention they would garner.

Also I think that we are tending fictionalize the possibilities of what might happen to us (becoming targets) if we do OC. Mind you I am not dismissing the possibility but only suggesting that I think that it is a lot like the scenes painted by the gun grabbers when Shall Issue was being first considered here in Va. - much exaggerated.

I too believe in the political and educational benefits of OC. I tend to wear very light tan jeans, sharply pressed on the week-ends (dressy and comfortable) with an ironed, tucked in sport shirt. I either carry a full size. blue 1911 or a chrome .40 cal (both in condition 1) in very dressy leather with matching dbl. mag carriers. belt & cell phone case - my point here is that they do not blend in with my clothing - they are very obvious. The employees of the restaurant I frequent for Sat. and/or Sun. breakfast all greet me by name and thereby calm any timid liberals. The bookstore and Wally World are generally on my route and have grown accustomed to my face and condition. In the evening D and I are always seen at one eatery or another (some considered unfriendly) and are always treated pleasantly. Sure I have received "looks" from time to time but I nod and smile, acknowledging their stares and tossing them a conciliatory cookie. All in all I think that I am successfully creating more positive reactions and thinking than negative ones. I have answered many questions, directed numerous individuals how to get their CHPs and caused some to subscribe to Va-Alerts and possible VCDL membership. As long as this is the case and the law allows, I will continue to OC.

Do I avoid high risk areas, stay at a minimum of condition yellow and follow other common sense guidelines? Of course. Besides the extra vigilance while OCing is good training reinforcement.

Yata hey

Very well put and I would like to thank you for your positive projection of Virginians OC'ing. This helps all of us both in the eyes of other Virginians and in the eyes of visitors from other states.

Thank you.