• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

gun safety class?

Dixie Bushwacker

imported post

taking my gun safety class on sunday for my cwp and was wondering if there is a certain way i should carry my gun into the class. i havent shot it since ive owned it but i do have a side holster and 3 clips for it..i was planing on carrying itwith my holster with clip in but no ammo? any thoughts.? i also have one of those stupid fanny packs for guns that it came with if that would work.

class is sunday at dominion in richmond.. been wating about 2months its about time.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'd check their site on this. Here's my take... Completely unloaded.

1. No clip/magazine (I'm not going there) in the firearm
2. No ammo in the class, period. Don't even carry it in a seperate container or in your pockets. If I remember correctly, if you shoot there, you have to buy it there.
3. Personally, I'd lock the fiream open before entering the class

my 2¢

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Umm... Perhaps a phone call?

I should think they would be happy to tell you what they expect. I doubt they want loaded weapons in the class the first day of class, and they may not want loaded weapons in the classroom at all.

Regards

vrwmiller

imported post

Most, if not all, instructors I know do not allow loaded weapons into their classes at all. The instructors I know are NRA certified. I am not sure if it's part of the NRA curriculum/guidelines/rules or instructor policy.

I would recommend that you make a telephone call to the instructor and ask.

LEO 229

imported post

You do NOT need to take your gun into the classroom. They will educate you on safety and provide safe guns to examine. When it is time to go shooting at the range... you get your gun out of your car.

Let's think about it.... Do they really want people from all walks of life entering a classroom with real guns they may even be loaded and they may not be educated enough to handle them safely yet? No way!!

My wife attended a class and this was the standard.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Interesting thread.... I never really thought about the topic.

(The only formal training I've taken ran with a hot range. Our pistols were loaded all day, and when we picked up our carbines, we loaded them.)

possumboy

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
You do NOT need to take your gun into the classroom. They will educate you on safety and provide safe guns to examine. When it is time to go shooting at the range... you get your gun out of your car.

Let's think about it.... Do they really want people from all walks of life entering a classroom with real guns they may even be loaded and they may not be educated enough to handle them safely yet? No way!!

My wife attended a class and this was the standard.

Is that the standard of people taking the class? Ones with any experience?

I had been OC'ing for about 3 years when I got my CHP (just over a year ago). The only reason I got my CHP was to be able to drive with the kids and wait in the car as they were taken into school with thier mother.

The majority of the people in my class had been OC'ing before deciding on getting a CHP for one reason or another. I guess my class was NOT the normal class.

NytoVa

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
When I took my permit class, I walked into the classroomand headed to the front row as Ido in any class I take. I noticed a number of people...from all walks of life...sitting at the tables playing w/ their guns. I turned around and sat in the back row with my back to the wall.

The instructor pointed out the bullet hole in the wall where someone "accidentally" discharged their weapon in class as a warning to make sure your gun was empty.

Scheetz

imported post

NytoVa wrote:
When I took my permit class, I walked into the classroomand headed to the front row as Ido in any class I take. I noticed a number of people...from all walks of life...sitting at the tables playing w/ their guns. I turned around and sat in the back row with my back to the wall.

The instructor pointed out the bullet hole in the wall where someone "accidentally" discharged their weapon in class as a warning to make sure your gun was empty.

You took your class at A&P Arms in Lynnhaven right? The owner brought that up also about the bullet hole. I was sitting right where it was, interesting to look at and see that people really do not think things through when holding/cleaning a firearm.

I enjoyed my class though, there were a few people taking it that I was rather afraid of that I believe should not be carrying a gun. But then again, there are a good portion of people who own and should not.

Anyway, I carried my HK in its case unloaded with a box of ammo in my range bag. At the half way mark he asked for people to go pick up their stuff if they did not bring it in already.

zoom6zoom

imported post

When I took my class, the instructor collected everyones mags and ammo for the duration of the class, until we went into the range. Anyone who did not comply was expelled.

Believe me, you don't want to hear someone sitting right behind you rack a slide and wonder if they just chambered a round.

LEO 229

imported post

NytoVa wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

I figure... your in the class for one of two reasons.... You need it for your permit... or you need the class to learn about gun safety.

In either case... there are people out there that are just not safe. We have all seen them. The point a gun in your direction and swear.. "It's not loaded..." and do not think twice that they pointed a gun at you.

vrwmiller

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
in either case... there are people out there that are just not safe. We have all seen them. The point a gun in your direction and swear.. "It's not loaded..." and do not think twice that they pointed a gun at you.

I had someone do that to me the other day...he was strapping his gun onto his belt in his vehicle and pointed it in my direction as he was doing so. I said "whoa! watch where you're pointing that thing" as I forcefully pointed the gun toward the floor of the vehicle. He remarked that there was nothing in the chamber and that it was alright. I said something to the effect of "No, it's not alright. One should always treat a firearm as if it were loaded, even if it is not".

LEO 229

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
in either case... there are people out there that are just not safe. We have all seen them. The point a gun in your direction and swear.. "It's not loaded..." and do not think twice that they pointed a gun at you.

I had someone do that to me the other day...he was strapping his gun onto his belt in his vehicle and pointed it in my direction as he was doing so. I said "whoa! watch where you're pointing that thing" as I forcefully pointed the gun toward the floor of the vehicle. He remarked that there was nothing in the chamber and that it was alright. I said something to the effect of "No, it's not alright. One should always treat a firearm as if it were loaded, even if it is not".

Ya... Not good. I guess it is OK when the gun on not being pointed in your direction...

Here is a true story....

Back in 1991... 4 Soldiers in a barracks room getting ready to go to the club.Man "A"has arevolver in his room and points it at the othersone at a time. He pulls the trigger each time and laughs since he knows it is not loaded.

Man "B"steps out of sight and Man "A"loads up his gun before placing it on the table. Man "A" walks away form the table and Man "B"returns.

Man "B" sees the gun and picks it up.Seeing it was so funny before... Man "B" points the gun at Man "A" and calls out to him. Man "A" turns and sees the gun he knows is loaded... He calls out "NO!" but Man "B" pulls the trigger hitting Man "A" between the eyes.

You just never know if the gun is loaded.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Scheetz wrote:
I enjoyed my class though, there were a few people taking it that I was rather afraid of that I believe should not be carrying a gun. But then again, there are a good portion of people who own and should not.
This is the dirty little secret in the gun owner/carrier collective: some are just kinda dangerous.

You are way ahead of the curve if you already understand this. :cool: