• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP - Firearm Qualifications Requirements

DeadCenter

imported post

Can someone use their hunting license as proof of competency? This person is in Culpeper. But, I would guess the answer applies state wide.

Ithink you could because a Hunter Ed course qualifies. And, you need the Hunter Ed course to get you hunting license.

Now -- I know he can use the certificate from the Hunters Ed class. That would be if he could find it. He just renews his hunting license every year to stay current.

DC

DeadCenter

imported post

Was that a little slap - Mike? -- :D

Question still remains about the license to hunt vs. the document proving completion of the course. It does not state "License"

The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence:

1. Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;
  2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
  3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;
  4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
  5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;
  6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;
  7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;
  8. Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or
  9. Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.
  10. A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this subsection.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DeadCenter wrote:
  1. Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;
I'd say your (your friend's) only recourse is to contact the court in Culpeper county and see if they'll accept the license as evidence of meeting the above reuirement.

DeadCenter

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
DeadCenter wrote:
I'd say your (your friend's) only recourse is to contact the court in Culpeper county and see if they'll accept the license as evidence of meeting the above reuirement.

I'll suggest it.

DC

bayboy42

imported post

DC- my opinion is that someone CAN NOT use their hunting license as a a proof of compentency. If the rules were indeed as you stated in your original post "And, you need the Hunter Ed course to get you hunting license" then my answer would be yes but your statement is incorrect.

In VA, persons 16 and older can obtain a hunting license simply by signing the back of the license certifying that he or she has held a previously issued hunting license.

Please let us know what Culpeper tells this person.

LEO 229

imported post

I agree with BadBoy.

If there is notproofof safety required for obtaining the hunting license... it is useless to show youhave any experience.

I understand that anyone hunting would hopefully be trained by someone who already knows how to be safe...... But how can you tell?

Back in my day... the school actually provided us with a safe hunting class and provided an orange card.

sitedzn

imported post

i've kept my hunting license going just like bayboy stated for about 10 years. i've never taken the hunters ed course. i guess i'll find out how far back they'll accept since my last license was back a few years ago.

Chronoshifter

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Back in my day... the school actually provided us with a safe hunting class and provided an orange card.
I still have mine somewhere, mixed in with a box of baseball cards no doubt.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

While it is true that there was once a grandfathering of existing hunting license holders, the fish and game commission could verify the self certification by applicants that they had received such training if they wanted to. They usually only check if some need arises. I think that the pertinent item in 18.2-308 is not item one but item 10,

10. A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this subsection.

Technically, you could use your scoring card from a competitive shooting match. But the Hunting License would be a document which shows completion of a course for persons below a certain age because they could not have been grandfathered. If it was ever determined that you certified you took the training and you had not, you could be charged with perjury.

Now getting a court that is not used to seeing a hunting license as proof of training to accept one is another matter. Technically it should work.

But why not just go take the course? There is a lot of valuable information presented in a well taught course, you get to practice a little shooting, and you will understand your rights better. Just take the course and go get your CHP.

Regards

sitedzn

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
While it is true that there was once a grandfathering of existing hunting license holders, the fish and game commission could verify the self certification by applicants that they had received such training if they wanted to. They usually only check if some need arises. I think that the pertinent item in 18.2-308 is not item one but item 10,

Technically, you could use your scoring card from a competitive shooting match. But the Hunting License would be a document which shows completion of a course for persons below a certain age because they could not have been grandfathered. If it was ever determined that you certified you took the training and you had not, you could be charged with perjury.

Now getting a court that is not used to seeing a hunting license as proof of training to accept one is another matter. Technically it should work.

But why not just go take the course? There is a lot of valuable information presented in a well taught course, you get to practice a little shooting, and you will understand your rights better. Just take the course and go get your CHP.

Regards

my future plan is to take the course with my son once i've gotten comfortable enough with him handling a long gun (he's almost 5). but that's a ways off.

i've shot IDPA, but i don't have any official score sheet - just what was posted on the net (i'm sure that won't suffice). i guess i need to go and talk to someone down at DGIF maybe? they should like me right now, just bought my lifetime freshwater license about a month ago, and plan to get the lifetime hunt too.

sorry if i've gotten a little OT.