Thread: Taurus PT111Pro Carry Ammo

Post imported post

I have a Taurus PT111Pro (3rd Gen) and i've come across an issue in selecting a carry load. From the people i've talked to, the consensus seems to be the Gold Dot SB 9mm +P 124gr. The thing I'm concerned about is that in my Taurus owner's manual it states:

"Plus-P, Plus-P-Plus or other ultra or high velocity ammuntion generates pressures significantly in excess of the pressures associted with standard ammunition. Such pressures may affect the useful life of the firearm or exceed the margin of safety built into many pistols and could therefore be DANGEROUS."

Is this a big issue or just a CYA from Taurus? Like I said, this is for carry and not something that I intend to be putting a lot of rounds through it; just initially to ensure that it functioned well. Also, if I needed to send it back to Taurus for repair would the use of +P loads affect the warranty? Any other recommendations for carry loads in the PT111Pro?

State Researcher

Post imported post

I have no recommendation as to what to use, but unless it states that doing so WILL void the warranty, it is just a cya from them.

If you are not putting these rounds through it on a continual basis and using them sparingly and for carry, you should be fine.

Post imported post

Should get the pt145 or the compact pt745 both are .45 cal. I have the pt745 and love it.

Post imported post

My first gun was the PT111. I used Winchester SilverTip hollowpoints. Not one failure.

Post imported post

Federal HST +P all the way... the .45 expands larger than a quarter, and I'm sure the 9mm performs equally likewise.
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

danbus wrote:
    My first gun was the PT111.* I used Winchester SilverTip hollowpoints.* Not one failure.
    +1, My wife has the 111Pro...

Couldn't find silvertips out here in 9x19 (I have a lot of them in .380 tho...), but, the SXT non-silvertips are what she carries.

I'm not sure that I'd want to use +P in that firearm, however. I'm still not thrilled, that the manual suggests cleaning at every 100 rounds!

*Shrug* I'm no expert, either... You might try over at the taurus forums, http://taurusarmed.net , I think...