• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairfax 'n Wonderland!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

NOTE the anti-speech attitude of Fairfax County Supervisor Penny Gross: "A gun? . . .A gun is not a prize . . . I don't like the feel of it, the taste of it, the smell of it. I don't like the idea that someone can take a concealed weapon into a public building, a police station for heaven's sakes!"

Summary Text: [url]http://www.wusa9.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=58727[/url]

VIDEO: [url]http://www.wusa9.com/video/player.aspx?aid=44636&bw[/url]=

This was not about enforcing gambling laws - this was about stifling speech.

More to follow - but consider this: non-profit organizations are allowed to hold raffles in Virginia, and organizations expecting total gross raffle receipts to be less than $25,000 do NOT need a permit.

VCDL asked the state gaming commission if they needed a license when no tickets were sold and no money was collected by the League - the answer was no.

Now the County prosecutor says yes. And at http://tinyurl.com/yuy9g3, it is reported that "Virginia Attorney General Robert McDonnell's office said it's up to local officials to determine whether a raffle is legal."

Sounds likeFairfax'n Wonderland to me!

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Here is old pennys little column in the FCNP
http://www.fcnp.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1273&Itemid=34

A Penny For Your Thoughts: The News of Greater Falls Church By Penny Gross, Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Thursday, 17 May 2007
Take a foolish idea, put out a news release, then stand back and watch what happens! That seems to be the approach taken by a gun rights group to stir up interest in a “gun giveaway” tonight at the Mason District Governmental Center. No matter that the community still is sorting out its grief and anger over the senseless shootings of 32 students and faculty at Virginia Tech just a month ago. No matter that the drawing is being held in a public building that houses a police station. No matter that two dedicated Fairfax County police officers were gunned down exactly a year ago in a similar county police station. It’s wrong, but sadly, it’s also legal.
The Mason District Governmental Center has been a community meeting place for decades. Public meeting rooms are available for use, without charge, to local civic and non-profit groups that meet the criteria for reserving space in county government centers. For several years, the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) has been holding monthly meetings at the Mason Governmental Center, without incident. The Virginia General Assembly has refused to enact legislation to restrict dangerous weapons in county facilities, so the VCDL members, many of whom have legal “concealed carry” permits, are allowed to bring their concealed weapons into the building for their meetings. I don’t like it, never have, but the law is not on my side, nor yours, judging from the angry calls and e-mails from constituents.
Tonight, according to their news releases, the VCDL will give away a pistol, long rifle, and ammunition to the lucky ticket holders who made purchases from gun shops elsewhere in Virginia. When my office got wind of the scheme, I asked VCDL for clarification of the event to determine if it violated the room reservation rules against raffles and illegal gambling. VCDL submitted a written list of procedures for the activity, much of which mentioned Mayor Bloomberg of New York City who, apparently, is the target of their wrath. The “lucky” winners will not pick up their awards tonight, but must go to a licensed Virginia gun dealer, not in Fairfax County as I understand it, complete the required legal paperwork and background checks, and obtain their prize offsite. After consultation with the County Attorney and the police commander, the ticket drawing, as insensitive as it may be, appears to be legal.
Being legal, though, is a long way from being right!
(At press time, the Commonwealth’s Attorney for Fairfax County was still determining whether or not the gun giveaway is permitted under Virginia law).

Bulldog1967

imported post

My letter to her:

Dear Supervisor Gross,

As a Mason Dist. business owner, tax payer, resident, and VCDL member, I am HIGHLY offended of your view that LAW abiding citizens of Fairfax County shouldn't be allowed to carry in the Mason Government building.

We've gone through thorough background checks by the VA state police and are some of the most law-abiding citizens of your district.

Your disparaging comments on my right to protect myself are not worthy of an elected official who takes the oath to abide by VA law, which ALSO defines my right to protect myself.

I look forward to voting against you next election, and replacing you with a public servant who understands the law, rather than someone who doesn't like the current law because of "the smell of it".

Matt G

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I think she sums it all up quite well in her last remark. After all she has a legal right to her opinion. But as she notes -

"Being legal, though, is a long way from being right!"

Someone should point that out to HER.

Regards

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My letter to the FCNP:

Our forefathers designed the Constitution and 2A to ensure the power always remained with THE PEOPLE and the government would always fear the people, ensuring everyone knew who was serving whom.

As long as the government fears law abiding citizens, we're on the right track!

When that lawfully armed citizen and constituent asked to speak with Ms. Gross, I'd say that she finally got a taste of what it means to serve the people. However, in failing to hear the voice of the people and listen to a constituent who broke no laws, she has proved herself unworthy of public office by disenfranchising herself from her constituency and should step down and resign her office immediately.

Bloomberg is nothing but a modern day Tory and a conspiratorial felon who would declare himself King if given the chance. The fact that he was "elected" mayor of New York City is of no import, he is but one man and no greater than any other American. That is supposed to be the glory and grace of America.

Then called "New Amsterdam", New York City remained full of Tories and loyal to King George throughout the entire American Revolution and never even realized they were on the wrong side until they were made free by the deeds and sacrifices of men far better than they.

Nothing has changed and it's no surprise they still don't get it and probably never will. But today, as much as ever, the words of Samuel Adams should ring true in the hearts of all Americans and in the ears of Bloomberg and any who would extinguish the torch of freedom:

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” -Samuel Adams

They should enjoy their temporary positions while theyhave them.

Robert Cavalcante Jr.
Springfield, Virginia
American

Bulldog1967

imported post

Her reply:

----Original Message Follows----
To: "Matt G
Subject: RE: WUSA9 interview.
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 09:23:59 -0400

Dear Mr. Gottschalk: I do understand the law. That's why the VCDL is
still able to use the Mason District Governmental Center for their
meeting. However, I don't have to like the activity taking place
tonight. It is interesting that you are attacking me because I am
upholding your rights. That's what I swore to do when I took my oath of
office. You have a right to protect yourself; I have a right to voice
my objections to the activity taking place tonight.

Penelope A. Gross
Mason District Supervisor

Bulldog1967

imported post

My reply:

With quotes like this:

"A gun? . . .A gun is not a prize . . . I don't like the feel of it, the taste of it, the smell of it. I don't like the idea that someone can take a concealed weapon into a public building, a police station for heaven's sakes!"

You are NOT representing MY rights at all. I am a law-abiding citizen and SHOULD have the right to protect myself ANYWHERE in the Commonwealth, not just where YOU deem in necessary.

Very disappointingly yours,

Matt G

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:

...It is interesting that you are attacking me because I am
upholding your rights....

Penelope A. Gross

Maybe my reading comprehension is off, where are you attacking her? Is pointing out displeasure with your elected officials now considered an attack? :banghead:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
Bulldog1967 wrote:

...It is interesting that you are attacking me because I am
upholding your rights....

Penelope A. Gross

Maybe my reading comprehension is off, where are you attacking her? Is pointing out displeasure with your elected officials now considered an attack? :banghead:

It's a tactic for changing the subject when someoneexplicitlydisagrees with what a person says or whathis/her position is. It's almost always used when the person has a weak or defenseless position. He/she, when faced with a direct statement of criticism or disagreement will simply play the "attack ("personal attack") card.

The idea is that an "attack" (or "personal attack") is BAD. Therefore, the person initiating the "attack" (or "personal attack") is also BAD--and readers shouldn't pay attention to the "attacker."

It's an old dodge.

People on discussion forums use the "attack" gambit all the time. Not so much here onOCDO, thankfully, though it does happen sometimes. It's always easy to spot, if you look for it.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

While I agree with HankT that this is a common argument approach, in this case I also think that it is an indication of the maternal "I know what is best for you" attitude of many anti-rights people.

What she is really saying is that she cannot understand why you can't see that she knows what is best for you, and that she cannot understand why you won't just admit that and let her take care of this issue for you. So it is actually just a way to dismiss you completely.

She is right and you are wrong and you should know that.

Regards

ProtectMd

imported post

I was watching channel 9 news this evening, people are getting pretty fired up over all this gun talk. :) Its finally good that people are bringing it out into the open, and all sides are welcome to finally say something, because after all freedom of speech. I think we have spent years "avoiding the issue" and its a shame that people like Cho or whatever his name was have to do something to get everyone all fired up over this stuff. Apparently if you write to WUSA 9 e-mail box, there is a chance that they will read your statement on the news... And if the lovely Supervisor Penny Gross wants to make statements like she did, perhaps she should go work for Mr. Bloomberg and live in the criminal loving, liberal "gun free" NYC where they will welcome her with open arms!