• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Westminster OC illegal

reefteach

imported post

My ability to carry concealed in CO on my FL permit as an OH resident is gone because of SB34. I just figured I would open carry instead, but the butterfly museum in Westminster had to be crossed off of the itinerary because of the following:

> the Westminster municipal code 6-2-10:
>
> (E) It shall be a criminal offense for anyone, other than a police
> officer, an armored car employee providing money transport from a city
> facility, a private security guard hired by the city, or an authorized
> city employee, to carry any weapon in view onto or in a city
> premises. Possession of a concealed handgun permit shall be of no
> defense if the handgun is carried in such a manner as to be visible,
> in whole or in part, or accessible for any length of time to another
> individual.

Did I ever mention I hate being anywhere near Denver?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

What does the word "premises mean" - a city building?

I think you are OK to OC on the public streets, sidewalks, parks, and establishments open to the public, no?

denwego

imported post

I've OC'ed in Westminster many, many times - that law in their municipal code predates state preemption from 2003. I've never had a problem, despite being in bowling alleys, movies, "downtown" city streets... just go ahead and act normally while carrying openly and no one will give you a hard time on the law enforcement end. I can't vouch for any private property owners, as that's a crap shoot. Being so close to Denver means many owners are going to be fairly anti-gun.

reefteach

imported post

Thanks, I guess the next question would be is the butterfly museum owned by the city.

OK, Strike that. Lets see if I am correct here:

Because Westminster's ordinances are preempted, they are unenforceable.

Westminster is not in Denver, who is exempt from preemption because of a lawsuit.

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Even with the new state law they have the right to ban certain specific areas, such as city buildings, if they post at every entrance that open carrying is illegal on that premise. I saw a sign like that in Dillon at the recreation center and that isan enforceable sign. Also, in the city code it states it is illegal to carry openly in the recreation center, but had they not posted it, it would be unenforceable.

S

scubabeme

imported post

I've attached a copy of the entire COW (City of Westminster) municipal code from that section, downloaded from their website today. The highlighting/bolding is my own.

Essentially, if COW owns it, it's City Premises and no one but police (and a few other specific exceptions) can carry a weapon that is visible at all. However...

Only the buildings, that I have seen, have signs on them expressly forbidding "deadly weapons," so technically no OC in parks is unenforceable if I read other area correctly.

Don't know if it's, OC that is, really legal or not, on city property (but not in a building), but CC is OK as long as it is completely concealed.

I'd say play it safe and don't try it.

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

They can prohibit but state law still requires that signs need to be posted at every entrance prohibiting open carry!