• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SSN Removed from GFL App

mzmtg

imported post

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/2007/05/17/ssn-removed-from-gfl-app-state-calls-case-moot-again/

SSN Removed from GFL App; State Calls Case Moot (Again)

The Georgia Department of Public Safety has changed the GFL application form for the second time in less than a year in response to a GCO member federal lawsuit. Now, the form no longer requests SSN or employment information, even on an optional basis. The state claims that the form has been distributed to all probate judges, with instructions to destroy earlier versions of the form. The state says once again that the pending lawsuit is moot, because of the change in the form. After the state’s first change in the form, it called the case moot, and the federal district court dismissed the case. The U.S. Court of Appeals reversed, ruling that the case was not moot. The briefs of the Department of Public Safety and the Carroll County Probate Judge can be found here:

http://www.georgiacarry.com/camp

mzmtg

imported post

Of course, I called my local court (Cherokee County) and they claim to have never received a new form or any new instructions.

rmodel65

imported post

when i applied for my gfl a couple weeks ago it stated the ssn was optional

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

rmodel65 wrote:
when i applied for my gfl a couple weeks ago it stated the ssn was optional

:banghead:

Even requesting it is a violation of the Privacy Act. The state form (official) has not had the SSN on it for a long time now. Please ask your probate judge to get the right form from the Department of Public Safety (pretend like you do not know they already sent it to her).