Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 64

Thread: A Call for the Resignation of Mason District Supervisor/Chancellor Penelope Gross

  1. #1
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    No longer in Alexandria, Egypt
    Posts
    2,798

    Post imported post

    To: Penelope Gross, Mason District Supervisor, Mason District, Fairfax County, Virginia
    (Mason@FairfaxCounty.gov)

    Dear Ms. Gross,

    I wanted to express my extreme disappointment over your decision to not listen to one of your constituents who happened to bearmed and Open Carrying.Yes, I am a member of VCDL and of OpenCarry.org and I do indeed have a CHP that I have never used, since I prefer to Open Carry andI don't believe in hidden agendas or weapons. They are actually one and the same, are they not?

    The fact that this citizen Open Carried should have comforted you and most certainly was not about intimidation or fear. Criminals don't wear holsters, but will conceal illegally with no regard for the law and they are the ones to be feared and who intimidate our cities and streets, not law abiding citizens. This citizencould have legally Concealed Carried and you would be none the wiser and that citizen would have been heard, as is HIS right.

    Please stop playing the victim, it's very unbecoming for a public official. When law abiding citizens contact youeither in person, or via e-mail, it is for discussion through the exercise of First Amendment rights and possibly a Redress of Grievances, but it is most certainly not an "attack" on you. Your choice of that word serves no purpose but to attempt to garner sympathy for yourself in playing the "victim". It ismost certainly unprofessional and far below the level of professional ethics I would consider necessary for a position of public service such as you currently occupy.

    The truth is that no one was threatened or intimidated, and anything you may have felt was not caused by that citizen orhis weapon, but by your internal fears that have been cultivated over the years by many factions who continue to cloud the truth with their own agendas of fear and control.

    As you have said in your statements, andone thing you actuallyhave in common with gun owners, is thatoften timesyou don't have to like the law but are obligated to abide by it. That is the price of being a responsible citizen.You can't choose the laws you wish to obey, nor should you choose which rights you will allow your constituents to exercise. Nor can you decide which citizens to listen to based on your own internal prejudices, even those concerning gun ownership. Wouldyou feel as uncomfortable speaking to an African American? Or a Mexican? How about an Italian Catholic from New Jersey with the last name of Cavalcante?Then why did you not speak to that person simply because they were legally exercising their rights as an American and a Virginian and carrying a gun?

    You purposefully and intentionally discriminated against that law abiding citizen based on your own internal fears and prejudices toward his decision to carry a gun and that is reprehensible and in my opinion not in the best interests of the citizens of Fairfax County or Mason District.There were many ways he could have been heard and your concerns addressed at the same time, but that wasn't really the agenda was it? That just doesn't thrust you into the role of victim that sadly makes good press and demonizes gun owners. That apparentlyis the true agenda here.

    You don't have to like the fact that that citizen was legally carrying, but you were duty bound by your obligation of service to hear him. Failing that, for whatever reason,you have discriminated against and disenfranchised that citizen and have failed in your position of public service and shouldstep down from office and resign your position immediately.

    Most Sincerely,

    Robert Cavalcante Jr.
    GSCS(SW) US Navy (Ret.)
    Member VCDL
    Member OpenCarry.org






  2. #2
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Good letter, Bob. I'd say a 6.3 on the Littman Brusqueness Scale (LBS).

    Bob, did you get any more info about who it was that visited Gross' office OCing and what the details are?

    I wonder who it was? Whichone ofus popped into Penelope's office and scared the her troops (oops, staff)?

    C'mon guy....tell the truthhhhhh.

    OK, Bob, 6.5. Maybe. But that's the top end. The psychological assessment about felt intimation and fears was vague and unsupported. That brought it down a bit.




  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    No longer in Alexandria, Egypt
    Posts
    2,798

    Post imported post

    Brusque? You think?Never heard of the LBS scale, but I'll have to work on upping my scores! lol...

    I have no idea who it was. Maybe we'll know later tonight after the meeting?



  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Mechanicsville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    548

    Post imported post

    Good job. Very well written!

  5. #5
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    BobCav wrote:
    Brusque? You think?
    Welllllll.....

    :P





  6. #6
    Regular Member ChinChin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Loudoun County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    683

    Post imported post

    A very well worded letter. Please keep us informed if she responds and what she has to say.

    The smart money says you'll get a form letter.
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    smart money says she won't respond at all.

    Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    No longer in Alexandria, Egypt
    Posts
    2,798

    Post imported post

    Thanks folks. So far just the automatic canned reply:

    "Thank you for contacting my office. This will acknowledge receipt of
    your message. If you are a Mason District resident requesting a
    response, a specific reply will follow by email or US mail in the near
    future.

    If your request requires agency involvement, I will contact you when I
    receive their response. Please do not reply to this auto response.If
    you need to contact my office again, please email
    Mason@fairfaxcounty.gov."


    I'll bet she doesn't reply.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,043

    Post imported post

    BobCav wrote:
    Thanks folks. So far just the automatic canned reply:

    [ snip ]

    I'll bet she doesn't reply.
    I am confident she won't. According to earlier posts today, it appeared as though she responded to, at least, one email and in a rather timely manner. That leads me to believe that when she read this one she thought it best to reply with a canned response.



  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    You could try forcing a reply with a FOIA request to her office for records relating to his visit. Also, are there security cameras aimed such that they would show him coming and going at a certain time or not being there at all?

    You could also go the de-bunk route--she couldn't have been all that intimidated if there is no police report. Goddamit, the police station is in the same building. Does she really expect us to believe that she was all that terrified, but didn't call for the police who are ten steps away. An angry man shows up wearing a gun, making demands, and they don't call the police in the first ten seconds? Etc. Etc.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Bulldog1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    447

    Post imported post

    You'll hear from her, I've been going back and forth with her all day yesterday.

    She doesn't get it.

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    No longer in Alexandria, Egypt
    Posts
    2,798

    Post imported post

    Some folks never do...

    Hang in there!

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    She gets it alright. She just doesn't want you to have it.

    Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  14. #14
    Regular Member 638Fitta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Spotsylvania, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    64

    Post imported post

    Bob-

    Great letter! Can you direct me to the original problem (article) so I can read as to what happened that prompted you to write your letter? Thanks.

  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    Citizen wrote:
    You could try forcing a reply with a FOIA request to her office for records relating to his visit. Also, are there security cameras aimed such that they would show him coming and going at a certain time or not being there at all?

    You could also go the de-bunk route--she couldn't have been all that intimidated if there is no police report. Goddamit, the police station is in the same building. Does she really expect us to believe that she was all that terrified, but didn't call for the police who are ten steps away. An angry man shows up wearing a gun, making demands, and they don't call the police in the first ten seconds? Etc. Etc.
    Could, but not a smart move. It doesn't matter who it was.
    If she were truly threatened, she could have called the police - as you say, ten steps away. Therefore, she was not fearful. Her original point said her staff was "startled" (I can't find the item now; I hope I got it right) when he "demanded" to see her. She re-interpreted that as a threat;if she had done so initially, she would have had police involvement.

    Those of us with half a brain can see how it goes. FOIAs and other tactics of making her feel she HAS to give something up exacerbate the problem. She should go away quietly, aided by voters. Don'tgive her more publicity.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    Tess wrote:
    Could, but not a smart move. It doesn't matter who it was.
    If she were truly threatened, she could have called the police - as you say, ten steps away. Therefore, she was not fearful. Her original point said her staff was "startled" (I can't find the item now; I hope I got it right) when he "demanded" to see her. She re-interpreted that as a threat;if she had done so initially, she would have had police involvement.

    Those of us with half a brain can see how it goes. FOIAs and other tactics of making her feel she HAS to give something up exacerbate the problem. She should go away quietly, aided by voters. Don'tgive her more publicity.
    I agree... If she was that scared.... she could have had officers there in seconds.

    She was not scared... just ticked that someone came in wearing a gun and she does not like them. Oh Well.

  17. #17
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    No longer in Alexandria, Egypt
    Posts
    2,798

    Post imported post

    Exactly. But either way, she discriminated against a law abiding gun owner and disenfranchised a citizen and constituent. That is NOT the kind pf person we want in public service!!

  18. #18
    Regular Member 638Fitta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Spotsylvania, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    64

    Post imported post

    Can someone direct me to the original problem so I can read why Bo wrote his letter? Thanks

  19. #19
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    No longer in Alexandria, Egypt
    Posts
    2,798

    Post imported post

    Here's the original article in the Washington Post:

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...051502197.html

    Passions are strong. Supervisor Penelope A. Gross (D-Mason), who has been trying to stop the drawing, said a man with a gun holstered on his hip startled her staff when he showed up at her office Monday demanding to talk about her opposition to the raffle. Such gun-toting is legal in Virginia.

    "That is how crazy it is getting: People openly carrying weapons will come to my office demanding to see me," Gross said. "It is an intimidating tactic, and I don't have to see them."





  20. #20
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    BobCav wrote:
    Here's the original article in the Washington Post:

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...051502197.html

    Passions are strong. Supervisor Penelope A. Gross (D-Mason), who has been trying to stop the drawing, said a man with a gun holstered on his hip startled her staff when he showed up at her office Monday demanding to talk about her opposition to the raffle. Such gun-toting is legal in Virginia.

    "That is how crazy it is getting: People openly carrying weapons will come to my office demanding to see me," Gross said. "It is an intimidating tactic, and I don't have to see them."
    I'm trying to think of a reason to make an appointment to go interview her. Then show up OC.



    However, I don't live in Mason district and I really have no reason to do so.



    Collaborators anywhere?
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  21. #21
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    Tess wrote:
    I'm trying to think of a reason to make an appointment to go interview her. Then show up OC.

    However, I don't live in Mason district and I really have no reason to do so.

    Collaborators anywhere?
    Weren't you just saying to not exacerbate the situation?

    I was trying to find ways to show that she couldn't have been all that intimidated, under which heading would appear, "he was never there in the first place."
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  22. #22
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    Citizen wrote:
    Tess wrote:
    I'm trying to think of a reason to make an appointment to go interview her. Then show up OC.

    However, I don't live in Mason district and I really have no reason to do so.

    Collaborators anywhere?
    Weren't you just saying to not exacerbate the situation?

    I was trying to find ways to show that she couldn't have been all that intimidated, under which heading would appear, "he was never there in the first place."
    Yes, I did say that. But I wasn't clear.

    I think it would be a mistake to FOIA anything. If the constituent doesn't want to be identified, so be it. That's his right. We gain nothing by attempting to learn his identity, and anything like a FOIA, in writing, provides her fodder.

    I really like the "in your face" without being in your face, if you know what I mean. I'd like to interview her on, say, traffic issues or Fairfax County budget stance. Something totally unrelated. Just because I'm armed when I ask......

    Anyway, I also mentioned I don't havea real reason.

    And it likely couldn't work now. I'm reasonably certain at least one, if not more, reporter reads our boards. How else would the Washington Post reported have known to find us at Starbucks before last night's meeting?
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    How about a "Penelope Gross Gun Giveaway"?

  24. #24
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    Tomahawk wrote:
    How about a "Penelope Gross Gun Giveaway"?
    Would we have to give away a gross gun? (I didn't know there was a .144 caliber.)



    But I do think OCDO should reserve the other big conference room for nights when there's a VCDL meeting scheduled. They could always be gracious and give it up if someone else needed it.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    Tomahawk wrote:
    How about a "Penelope Gross Gun Giveaway"?
    Now that would be funny!

    She would not like that at all.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •