• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Call for the Resignation of Mason District Supervisor/Chancellor Penelope Gross

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

To: Penelope Gross, Mason District Supervisor, Mason District, Fairfax County, Virginia
(Mason@FairfaxCounty.gov)

Dear Ms. Gross,

I wanted to express my extreme disappointment over your decision to not listen to one of your constituents who happened to bearmed and Open Carrying.Yes, I am a member of VCDL and of OpenCarry.org and I do indeed have a CHP that I have never used, since I prefer to Open Carry andI don't believe in hidden agendas or weapons. They are actually one and the same, are they not?

The fact that this citizen Open Carried should have comforted you and most certainly was not about intimidation or fear. Criminals don't wear holsters, but will conceal illegally with no regard for the law and they are the ones to be feared and who intimidate our cities and streets, not law abiding citizens. This citizencould have legally Concealed Carried and you would be none the wiser and that citizen would have been heard, as is HIS right.

Please stop playing the victim, it's very unbecoming for a public official. When law abiding citizens contact youeither in person, or via e-mail, it is for discussion through the exercise of First Amendment rights and possibly a Redress of Grievances, but it is most certainly not an "attack" on you. Your choice of that word serves no purpose but to attempt to garner sympathy for yourself in playing the "victim". It ismost certainly unprofessional and far below the level of professional ethics I would consider necessary for a position of public service such as you currently occupy.

The truth is that no one was threatened or intimidated, and anything you may have felt was not caused by that citizen orhis weapon, but by your internal fears that have been cultivated over the years by many factions who continue to cloud the truth with their own agendas of fear and control.

As you have said in your statements, andone thing you actuallyhave in common with gun owners, is thatoften timesyou don't have to like the law but are obligated to abide by it. That is the price of being a responsible citizen.You can't choose the laws you wish to obey, nor should you choose which rights you will allow your constituents to exercise. Nor can you decide which citizens to listen to based on your own internal prejudices, even those concerning gun ownership. Wouldyou feel as uncomfortable speaking to an African American? Or a Mexican? How about an Italian Catholic from New Jersey with the last name of Cavalcante?Then why did you not speak to that person simply because they were legally exercising their rights as an American and a Virginian and carrying a gun?

You purposefully and intentionally discriminated against that law abiding citizen based on your own internal fears and prejudices toward his decision to carry a gun and that is reprehensible and in my opinion not in the best interests of the citizens of Fairfax County or Mason District.There were many ways he could have been heard and your concerns addressed at the same time, but that wasn't really the agenda was it? That just doesn't thrust you into the role of victim that sadly makes good press and demonizes gun owners. That apparentlyis the true agenda here.

You don't have to like the fact that that citizen was legally carrying, but you were duty bound by your obligation of service to hear him. Failing that, for whatever reason,you have discriminated against and disenfranchised that citizen and have failed in your position of public service and shouldstep down from office and resign your position immediately.

Most Sincerely,

Robert Cavalcante Jr.
GSCS(SW) US Navy (Ret.)
Member VCDL
Member OpenCarry.org

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Good letter, Bob. I'd say a 6.3 on the Littman Brusqueness Scale (LBS).

Bob, did you get any more info about who it was that visited Gross' office OCing and what the details are?

I wonder who it was? Whichone ofus popped into Penelope's office and scared the her troops (oops, staff)?

C'mon guy....tell the truthhhhhh.

OK, Bob, 6.5. Maybe. But that's the top end. The psychological assessment about felt intimation and fears was vague and unsupported. That brought it down a bit.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Brusque? You think?Never heard of the LBS scale, but I'll have to work on upping my scores! lol...

I have no idea who it was. Maybe we'll know later tonight after the meeting?

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks folks. So far just the automatic canned reply:

"Thank you for contacting my office. This will acknowledge receipt of
your message. If you are a Mason District resident requesting a
response, a specific reply will follow by email or US mail in the near
future.

If your request requires agency involvement, I will contact you when I
receive their response. Please do not reply to this auto response.If
you need to contact my office again, please email
Mason@fairfaxcounty.gov."

I'll bet she doesn't reply.

vrwmiller

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Thanks folks. So far just the automatic canned reply:

[ snip ]

I'll bet she doesn't reply.

I am confident she won't. According to earlier posts today, it appeared as though she responded to, at least, one email and in a rather timely manner. That leads me to believe that when she read this one she thought it best to reply with a canned response.

;)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You could try forcing a reply with a FOIA request to her office for records relating to his visit. Also, are there security cameras aimed such that they would show him coming and going at a certain time or not being there at all?

You could also go the de-bunk route--she couldn't have been all that intimidated if there is no police report. Goddamit, the police station is in the same building. Does she really expect us to believe that she was all that terrified, but didn't call for the police who are ten steps away. An angry man shows up wearing a gun, making demands, and they don't call the police in the first ten seconds? Etc. Etc.

638Fitta

imported post

Bob-

Great letter! Can you direct me to the original problem (article) so I can read as to what happened that prompted you to write your letter? Thanks.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
You could try forcing a reply with a FOIA request to her office for records relating to his visit. Also, are there security cameras aimed such that they would show him coming and going at a certain time or not being there at all?

You could also go the de-bunk route--she couldn't have been all that intimidated if there is no police report. Goddamit, the police station is in the same building. Does she really expect us to believe that she was all that terrified, but didn't call for the police who are ten steps away. An angry man shows up wearing a gun, making demands, and they don't call the police in the first ten seconds? Etc. Etc.
Could, but not a smart move. It doesn't matter who it was.
If she were truly threatened, she could have called the police - as you say, ten steps away. Therefore, she was not fearful. Her original point said her staff was "startled" (I can't find the item now; I hope I got it right) when he "demanded" to see her. She re-interpreted that as a threat;if she had done so initially, she would have had police involvement.

Those of us with half a brain can see how it goes. FOIAs and other tactics of making her feel she HAS to give something up exacerbate the problem. She should go away quietly, aided by voters. Don'tgive her more publicity.

LEO 229

imported post

Tess wrote:
Could, but not a smart move. It doesn't matter who it was.
If she were truly threatened, she could have called the police - as you say, ten steps away. Therefore, she was not fearful. Her original point said her staff was "startled" (I can't find the item now; I hope I got it right) when he "demanded" to see her. She re-interpreted that as a threat;if she had done so initially, she would have had police involvement.

Those of us with half a brain can see how it goes. FOIAs and other tactics of making her feel she HAS to give something up exacerbate the problem. She should go away quietly, aided by voters. Don'tgive her more publicity.

I agree... If she was that scared.... she could have had officers there in seconds.

She was not scared... just ticked that someone came in wearing a gun and she does not like them. Oh Well.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Exactly. But either way, she discriminated against a law abiding gun owner and disenfranchised a citizen and constituent. That is NOT the kind pf person we want in public service!!

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here's the original article in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/15/AR2007051502197.html

Passions are strong. Supervisor Penelope A. Gross (D-Mason), who has been trying to stop the drawing, said a man with a gun holstered on his hip startled her staff when he showed up at her office Monday demanding to talk about her opposition to the raffle. Such gun-toting is legal in Virginia.

"That is how crazy it is getting: People openly carrying weapons will come to my office demanding to see me," Gross said. "It is an intimidating tactic, and I don't have to see them."

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Here's the original article in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/15/AR2007051502197.html

Passions are strong. Supervisor Penelope A. Gross (D-Mason), who has been trying to stop the drawing, said a man with a gun holstered on his hip startled her staff when he showed up at her office Monday demanding to talk about her opposition to the raffle. Such gun-toting is legal in Virginia.

"That is how crazy it is getting: People openly carrying weapons will come to my office demanding to see me," Gross said. "It is an intimidating tactic, and I don't have to see them."

I'm trying to think of a reason to make an appointment to go interview her. Then show up OC.

However, I don't live in Mason district and I really have no reason to do so.

Collaborators anywhere?