Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update From VCDL Meeting

Post imported post

I just received an update. The meeting room is full to capacity with attendees and press. There is a small group of protesters who are setup in a "free speech" area outside the building and there are more pro-gun attendees than can fit in the room. The overflow people are being asked to congregate outside but everyone is comporting themselves well.

There is a LOT of press there. Mike is currently talking with the German press who, he says, are on the side of VCDL.

The only snag so far has apparently been the fact that the extra chairs and the podium that are usually in the meeting room were "accidentally" locked up and cannot be used.

I will post an after action report as soon as I get one from Mike.

John

Post imported post

Thanks, John!

Post imported post

The meeting is over and a large group is currently at Fudruckers.

The drawing was a great success and there were no incidents with the antis. The press was there IN FORCE and treated this like a presidential press conference.

Score 1 for the good guys! Thanks to everyone who supported the gun dealers and who were able to attend tonight.

Expect a VA-ALERT from Philip with all the juicy details in the next 24 hours.

Bloomberg got served!!!

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Well the channel 5 news managed to catch the "flip off" presumably by the winner of the drawing. Very professional gesture. While I understand and agree with the sentiment, didn't the guy realize the impression that would leave on the viewers of the nightly news?

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Yeah, that wasn't well thought out. I sorta cringed that the second winner was wearing a camo ballcap - another cliche the anti's love.

Post imported post

Thanks for the timely updates.

Post imported post

Hawk...am I understanding your post correctly....the raffle winner stuck his middle finger up and it was caught on camera??!?!??!?!?!

Post imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
    Hawk...am I understanding your post correctly....the raffle winner stuck his middle finger up and it was caught on camera??!?!??!?!?!
    yes
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Was he a VCDL member? Guess thats unimportant in the big scheme of things.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

He folks, I was there and it was packed! There were protesters outside doing their own thing, but no clashes whatsoever. As expected and they were very strict about only allowing the max capacity (fire code) of 150 in the room and many people had to listen from outside through the open windows.

One protester sat inside and made only one "heckle" when we revealed the cake with Bloomberg's face on it yelling it was "sick". We ignored him and continued to applaud even more loudly for each new speaker and for the winners.

It was great to see everyone come together!

Here's some Post Articles I've found:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...051601893.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...av=hcmoduletmv

Post imported post

Wow! What a great evening! I think it was a major success.

Tess, BobCav...it was a pleasure meeting you.

Somewhat disappointed in the gesture the first winner gave to the cameras. Personally, I think I would've chosen to say something different. However, I'm sure he was anxious and nervous and probably didn't know how to respond.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Well, Philip did say VCDL is made up of people from all walks of life. A few are going to be a little less sophisticated than others.

The best thing to do is be ready to counter any attempt at making hay. Praise the little guy. Point out that what Bloomy is doing can generate a lot of anger in freedom-loving people.Etc. I suspect the only people who will be "shocked" are people who are easily shocked.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

BobCav, roscoe13--Good to meet you both! Tess, good to see you again!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Great meeting you folks too! Always good to put a face to a name. We always have a good time whenever we get together.

Post imported post

Sounds like a HUGE success. Kudos to VCDL, PVC, et al.

BobCav wrote:
    ... revealed the cake with Bloomberg's face on it...
    LOL. VERY cool.

Post imported post

The "Shock" in seeing the "great American bird" is not the issue. The issue is the image of average firearms owners it projects. Since many of us saw it presented in a fairly "Raw" form, we understand the context. You can expect that context to change in the editing room over the next few days, and the impression on the audience will be very different than it is among this group.

It was a very poor decision for someone to do that considering that the gesture is actually illegal in most jurisdictions. While there was obviously no way to have prevented it from happening, it portrays us all as ignorant, unsophisticated, and unfit for general audiences or polite society. It is on those grounds that I find the act offensive. That act was made to order for the anti-rights media.

I spent an hour today talking to a group of coworkers about this event and explaining that VCDL and Open Carry org are not populated by the kinds of people they thought they are. What am I supposed to tell them tomorrow?

Moreover, since the actual purpose of the event was at least in part designed to project the same gesture to Bloomberg, it was actually redundant.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    I spent an hour today talking to a group of coworkers about this event and explaining that VCDL and Open Carry org are not populated by the kinds of people they thought they are. What am I supposed to tell them tomorrow?
    Tell them the truth. VCDL has some earthy type folks, just like your employer does. The right to self-defense and life is not predicated on being a member of the elite, pretty, intelligentsia, or psuedo-sophisticates. Unless you work with some real idiots, I can't imagine you'll have all that much difficulty. You're pretty persuasive on this forum. You'll pull it off with ease.

Unless LEO229 is a co-worker. Then I could see it being a little difficult.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Here's a cell phone pic of the cake:

Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

Post imported post

News of this in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...av=hcmoduletmv
    Van Cleave acted as master of ceremonies in front of tables displaying one of the two prize firearms: a .45-caliber Para Ordnance PX745E semiautomatic handgun. He also unveiled a cake with a picture of Bloomberg in the frosting, saying: "These are sick people!"

Van Cleave, saying his group includes many retired military personnel and law enforcement officers, said he was glad to be in their company. They hung signs calling for the mayor's prosecution for sending agents to stores posing as legitimate buyers.

"We're sending a message to New York, and this message is going to Mr. Bloomberg: If you think you have a problem, if you think Virginia's gun dealers are violating the law . . . come talk to the state police," Van Cleave said. "Guns in the hands of decent, law-abiding citizens is a good thing. In my opinion, you can't have too many kinds of those guns."

"Amen!" someone shouted.
    Great seeing you guys there.

Hey, HankT, you should have heard what I told those reporters!

Post imported post

Wow, according to the news video, they weren't giving away just ANY guns, they were giving away "high powered" guns!!!! Wow, I've never seen a high powered gun in person. The .45 I carry must be a low powered gun.

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE VCDL AND ALL INVOLVED!!!! You guys in Va. are going a LONG way to help us all out!

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    Here's a cell phone pic of the cake:

Awesome. Here's to you, Mikie!

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Hawkflyer wrote:
    Tell them the truth.* VCDL has some earthy type folks, just like your employer does.* The right to self-defense and life is not predicated on being a member of the elite, pretty, intelligentsia, or psuedo-sophisticates.* Unless you work with some real idiots, I can't imagine you'll have all that much difficulty.* You're pretty persuasive on this forum.* You'll pull it off with ease.

Unless LEO229 is a co-worker.* Then I could see it being a little difficult.
    You may have missed my point. My question was rhetorical as I already know what will happen tomorrow and how I will handle it. But my point was, after portraying THIS group of gun owners as law abiding reasonable people, and that they really should not expect this event to indicate anything else, this guy takes the opportunity on the world stage to do something that proves every part of that image as wrong.

You can call it elitist if you want. You can put any number of labels on those who may see this the way I do, or differently than you do. I don't now and will not ever own your labels. The fact is that even the village idiot would have known better then to do what this guy did, under those circumstances. I know people who have Tourette syndrome with better self control than that. Phil's reaction when this occurred kind of indicated he might agree that it was a rather inappropriate thing to do.

He portrayed us all in a bad light, at a time when we are starting to draw the attention of a lot of people who are in the fence on these issues. I actually told people to watch for this event in the news. He just pushed a lot of those people to the other side, I am sure he is a very nice guy, but like it or not he just spoke for all of us and he did a very poor job of it.

As for my coworkers, LEO229 would not only be very welcome, he would be considered very liberal.

I don't often say this, but the more I think of that image the more angry it makes me. So lets just agree that you think his actions were appropriate, I don't, and move on.

Regards

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

It was uncalled for and of course the press is eating it up:

From: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...051702568.html
    "The first winner, Jay Minsky, responded with an obscene hand gesture when asked what message he hoped to send to Bloomberg."

From: http://washingtontimes.com/metro/200...0200-2653r.htm
    "Fairfax resident Jay Pinsky, who was the first winner, made an obscene hand gesture when asked what message he wanted to send Mr. Bloomberg."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast