• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rename Board -suggestions-

vermonter

imported post

Why not re name this board VirginiaOpencarry. Seems like every post revolves around Virginia and the constant battle for open carry there. Some poster once told me how great Virginia was for gun laws. From what I read on a daily basis it is more of a headache than most.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I disagree, Vermonter. The fact is, many more people open carry in Virginia on a daily basis thanother states in the union - possiblycombined. I challenge you to actually list the "constant battles for open carry" in Virginia - how many have their been in the past year that you can identify from this board? TWO. And no one was arrested, and I'd say we "won" both times. Most of the posts about Virginia are about other things than battles for open carry - such asthe Bloomberg Gun Giveaway, sharing stores about sucessful open carry, etc. Why do you call this "constant battles for open carry"?I've heard this from youseveral times before - I am sorry that you are frustrated and sounda bitbitter that there are so many more of us here in Virginia than elsewhere, but my sincere hope is for that to change. Meanwhile, the facts are as they are, and open carry is simply more common in Virginia than elsewhere. Virginia is a state that is dozens of times bigger than Vermont (in population and square miles), so it should not besurprisingthat there would be more Virginia topics and members. It also is home to both a huge pro-gun population, and a changing demographic with many antis moving here from the North - and that dynamism creates a lot to talk about. Vermont is awesome for gun rights, and I'd love to see that elsewhere. But I am not sure why you have posted several times with such frustration, as if the fact that Virginia has such an active pro-gun movement annoys you.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

vermonter wrote:
Why not re name this board VirginiaOpencarry. Seems like every post revolves around Virginia and the constant battle for open carry there. Some poster once told me how great Virginia was for gun laws. From what I read on a daily basis it is more of a headache than most.
You guys in Vermont definitely have the model for gun rights, but we are trying to remake ourselves in your image. The ultimate goal for any no-compromise activist is "Vermont Carry", so you should be proud of what you and your forefathers brought forth! You are a shining example to us all!

The reason that we tend to have a lot of Virginia members is that Mike and I are Virginia residents and are actively involved in VCDL, therefore, it was only natural that the first people who caught onto OCDO were our friends and fellows here in Virginia.

But we are building up active sub-groups throughout the country and the other states are becoming more active. As I pointed out in another thread, look at what Lonnie and his group are doing in the Northwest.

Please don't leave because we are too Virginia centric. We try very hard to support open carry all across the US.

Thanks for being here!

John

cs9c1

imported post

Not to mention the VCDL having a very strong showing on this forum, and being (what I think) the strongest 2A grassroots organization in the United States.

Man, John beat me to it. LOL.

Wooley

imported post

jpierce wrote:
vermonter wrote:
You guys in Vermont definitely have the model for gun rights, but we are trying to remake ourselves in your image. The ultimate goal for any no-compromise activist is "Vermont Carry", so you should be proud of what you and your forefathers brought forth! You are a shining example to us all!

The reason that we tend to have a lot of Virginia members is that Mike and I are Virginia residents and are actively involved in VCDL, therefore, it was only natural that the first people who caught onto OCDO were our friends and fellows here in Virginia.

But we are building up active cells throughout the country and the other states are becoming more active. As I pointed out in another thread, look at what Lonnie and his group are doing in the Northwest.

Please don't leave because we are too Virginia centric. We try very hard to support open carry all across the US.

Thanks for being here!

John

Ugh! John, please don't call us "cells"...it sounds so terroristy.

How about "groups" or "units"? No? Ok, back to learning how to tie a shemagh.:p

Wooley

imported post

Don't I know.

And a shemagh is a cool thing to have. Keeps the dust out of your collar and I even use mine here now as a scarf in the winter. Everyone that is "high speed" seems to need one.

What I don't get is the guys that told me "I'm wearing it to blend in".

Right, because a guy with a rag on his head and an AK or M4 for that matter is in fact, by our ROE, a target. Oh, and not to mention the average middle eastern male is what, 5'6" tops and 135 pounds? Yeah, those 6'+ tall and200 pounddudes with blonde beards sure do confuse the hell out of the booger eaters eh? They know who we are, the suburban gave it away...

ChinChin

imported post

vermonter wrote:
Why not direct your Vermont buddies to the site, make some new buddies and build up the Vermont section of the site.

Growth and new like-minded members is the goal, no matter where they come from.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Wooley wrote:

Ok. I edited my post to call it sub-groups :)

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

jpierce wrote:
Wooley wrote:

Ok. I edited my post to call it sub-groups :)

Oh great, you went and told everybodyabout our cells. Now we're gonna have to change the secret handshake and everything!

:p

LoveMyCountry

Vermont0311

imported post

Perhaps because carrying a firearm is pretty much a nonissue here in Vermont we have less need to talk about it as much?

I really enjoy the forum in general but I am from VA originally and am often home so I like to keep up on the goings on therere OC and CC. I was home last weekend and CCed quite a bit though I had to remind myself to watch where I went as we have no restaurant carry laws here. So I'm happy to hear all about it, VA is making some great waves in our favor so that perhaps someday more states will be like Vermont, hell, Alaska just did it. Let's keep the ball rolling.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
vermonter wrote:
Why not re name this board VirginiaOpencarry. Seems like every post revolves around Virginia
Hmm, I've seen a lot of posts in the Washington state forum lately. Oregon and Georgia have also be busy.

VA is where the diffusion of OC is most happening right now.

Oh, there islittle thread on OC over in the Idaho forum. Seems to be getting a bit of attention...