Thread: The Federalist Papers

Founder's Club Member
    Fairfax Co., VA

Post imported post

-- AKA, The Federalist . . .

circa 1789 and the Constitutional Convention, it's 85 essays by Alexander Hamiliton, James Madison, and John Jay.

It's available online, with some gloss, notes, commentary. Yale Law School lists it.

In a nutshell, its an argument for the adoption of the US Constitution and a federal govt.

Ample discussion of the Second Amendment. No. 29 is the classic, but also 46 and 78.

You'd need to Google, do a bit of searching.

But you should put this on your reading list . . . You know, get off line and get a life?
    Very good reading, indeed. Its a little helpful to have a foreword by a constitutional scholar that can help give some context.Next is to get a copy of the Anti-federalist Papers, actually a collection of essays and speeches by people who were opposed.Just compare what theAnti-federalists warned about tothe federal gov't we have today.

Also, just keep in mind that the Federalist Paperswere a sales pitch. They wereletters-to-the-editordesigned to persuade people to go along with the constitution.

I've not read the original work, and can only imperfectly remember the quote, but by the 1870's, the scheme of gov't pitched by the Federalist was open to the followingcriticism by a judge named Lysander Spooner, "The Consitution either authorizedsuch government as we have, or was powerless to stop it."
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Catlett, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

The whole lot of them are here:
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington