• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCDO Fact Sheet: VA Gun transfer laws among toughest in the nation

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

22 MAY 07 UPDATE: Slightly revised fact sheet provided yesterday to the Virginia Tech Incident Review Panel at their VT campus meeting. Thanks for all the help from members of this board!

------------------------------------

Note that the source for comparison data is none other than the anti-gun group Legal Community Against Violence's own data!

Attachments

• Gun Transfer Laws Across the States 21 MAY 07.doc
    44 KB · Views: 315

VAopencarry

imported post

Mike, That is excellent. I mentioned a couple of those to a Washington Post reporter today. I am kind of kicking myself for even talking to the guy but oh well, it's done now.

Can you confirm or deny that the background check in VA is run through a VSP check and NICS? I have interpreted some info on BATF's site that some states have a local/state check in addition to NICS and some only run NICS.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Can you confirm or deny that the background check in VA is run through a VSP check and NICS?
Donna Tate of the VSP Firearms Transaction Center told me that gun dealer transactions are run by the VSP thru multiple databases, including NICS.

VAopencarry

imported post

Thanks. I think I will try and confirm some states only do NICS. My point being, another step that makes it more difficult to purchase a gun in VA.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Thanks. I think I will try and confirm some states only do NICS. My point being, another step that makes it more difficult to purchase a gun in VA.
OK, got ithe point now! if you find out how many states are "point of contact states," and confirm that these states do additional state database checking in addition to NICS, let me know - preferably by Sunday so i can update this sheet and give to Massengil commission.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Excelent, Mike. That was a great part of your presentation. I saw you do this last night and I'm happy that I now have it in hand.

DeadCenter

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Mike, That is excellent. I mentioned a couple of those to a Washington Post reporter today. I am kind of kicking myself for even talking to the guy but oh well, it's done now.

Can you confirm or deny that the background check in VA is run through a VSP check and NICS? I have interpreted some info on BATF's site that some states have a local/state check in addition to NICS and some only run NICS.

This is true -- I have spoken to Donna Tate in the past.

Not that I doubted you Mike, Just backing you on it.

DC

Cynic

Loudoun County, US 10, VA Sen. 33,Del 32, Virginia
imported post

Mike wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
Can you confirm or deny that the background check in VA is run through a VSP check and NICS?
Donna Tate of the VSP Firearms Transaction Center told me that gun dealer transactions are run by the VSP thru multiple databases, including NICS.

When I took my training on the Virginia State Police Firearms Transaction Program, they said they check six data bases. Once NICS was spun up, I was TOLD the the Feds check six more. Friankly, I don't KNOW that it is a total of 12. That seems unlikely.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Anybody have any links to summaries of gun crime data for each state so as to compare between VA and the 5 states who have explanded the gun dealer loophole to apply to all private sales at gun shows.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Here's a little news coverage - I like the last line!

http://www.wsls.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSLS%2FMGArticle%2FSLS_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173351292990&path=!news!localnews

SNIP

"Panel members seemed to take particular interest in a chart presented by Mike Stollenwerk with OpenCarry.org, a pro-concealed weapons group. It compares Virginia's gun transfer laws to other states and finds Virginia is among the most restrictive in the nation.

No one stood up to say Virginia's gun control laws need to be tougher."

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
Anybody have any links to summaries of gun crime data for each state so as to compare between VA and the 5 states who have explanded the gun dealer loophole to apply to all private sales at gun shows.

Well you could wade through the FBI Crime report, but it is probably not in there.

You might have some luck with the BATFE Info site Some of the links to the right might be put together to reflect the numbers you want.

Regards