• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proposal for regular lunches. 3rd Sat of every month?

gregma

imported post

It's much easier to make plans if you know the date/time is going to be the same every month. Any objections to the 3rd Saturday of every month?

Thanks!
Greg

Jered

imported post

I might be able to make it in June, depending on whether or not I have to work at my day job. :banghead:

gregma

imported post

First, many apologies for not being at the lunch! The test took much longer than anticipated, and they were late starting due to a meeting that ran late just before the test. The good news was that I passed!

Mainsail

imported post

gregma wrote:
First, many apologies for not being at the lunch! The test took much longer than anticipated, and they were late starting due to a meeting that ran late just before the test. The good news was that I passed!

Congrats!

K7XFE

compmanio365

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
Whatever is decided, please no more Billy McHales. That place is gross.
Not to mention that their seats are not suited to open carry.

Care to suggest alternatives?

Not sure what you mean by gross.....maybe I'm just blind.....

Have to agree on the not open carry friendly seats though......

Jered

imported post

gregma wrote:

Good for you.

KD7HNU

just_a_car

imported post

Good afternoon all. Just came across these forums after following a link to opencarry.org from my other haunt of gunandgame.com, where I post under the same username.

Being a student at the UW and a proud firearms owner/collector, I'd love the chance to get together with other like-minded, responsible individuals for lunch.

Oh, and as for the seats and food at Billy McHales, I love their food and had no problems carrying IWB-SOB with my G27 in their booths. As an aside and to put to rest any worries, yes, I have my CPL, but don't own a holster (being a poor university student), so will only be able to open-carry if I IWB-carry with a tucked shirt and no overshirt.

just_a_car

imported post

I forgot to mention and should clarify that, since it's a GLOCK and I don't have a holster, I carry in condition 3 for safety.

Until such time as I have a holster, I don't plan on carrying with a round in the chamber, due to obvious trigger-exposure concerns.

I've read some people mention that they think you might as well not carry if you don't have a round in the chamber, but that's preposterous. If you train with that situation (which I do at Sam's, where I have a membership), then it might add all of a second to your response time. I'd rather lose an extra second than the rest of my life.

Edit: And may you all be having a pleasant and respect-filled Memorial Day. Which reminds me, I need to go thank my father for serving "in-country" in Tan Son Nhut AFB, North Saigon, Vietnam.

compmanio365

imported post

Hey, got my KNJ holster for $7.50 out the door, and it comes with an extra mag pouch. They make ones for all sizes; there is always a holster for pretty cheap if you look around. Just got a shoulder rig for my pistol that was $7.89 off Ebay......

I really wouldn't carry IWB without a holster, just asking to lose some vital parts :shock:

just_a_car

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Hey, got my KNJ holster for $7.50 out the door, and it comes with an extra mag pouch. They make ones for all sizes; there is always a holster for pretty cheap if you look around. Just got a shoulder rig for my pistol that was $7.89 off Ebay......

I really wouldn't carry IWB without a holster, just asking to lose some vital parts :shock:

Yeah, I agree on that last bit Compmanio365. That's why the Condition 3, full magazine, no round in chamber; which you probably didn't see, since we posted at the same time. ;)

I've looked at Galco, but they're insanely expensive. I'm also one of those 'not obese, but not skinny' guys, i.e. 5'10", 230lbs and I want to figure out a good way to carry it during the summer.

But I really don't want to up and hijack this thread on my first few posts. So, what other locations are people liking for lunch on those third Saturdays of the month?

eBratt

imported post

I too am a poor student but I knew I needed to get a good OC holster. I found the Blackhawk SERPA CQC to be a pretty good retention holster and pretty reasonable. I picked on up for about $42 including shipping for my SW J-frame. Check out http://lapolicegear.com/blcqcsehomaf.html. That's where I got mine and I couldn't be more pleased with it.

expvideo

imported post

I use an Uncle Mike's Kydex with a thumb-break retention strap. It's cheap and it works well for my Sig. Just a suggestion to get you OCing. Sure you can always get a better holster later, but it gets you started for cheap.

44Brent

imported post

I find it a little odd that people are willing to pay anywhere from $400-1,000 for a gun, but can't afford a decent holster. You can get a good professional quality holster for under $60 at http://www.donhume.com/

If you want multiple retention features, thenthe price is going to go up. I personally use the H-727 for all of my carry guns and have found them to be adequate for my own needs, with their thumb break retention straps. http://www.donhume.com/products/ProductsPage.cfm?ProductID=1

If you skimp on a holster and try to get by with something that cost $20, knowledgable people are going to think you are clueless. They might not say anything, but they will be thinking it. Fortunately for me, a police officer was kind enough to tell me to ditch my Uncle Mikes' POS and advised me to get a decent holster. I'm glad I listened to him.

Here's a little piece of information about thumb break straps. If you have to lift the strap UP, it's not a holster designed for carry a pistol for defensive purposes -- you have a hunting holster. A thumb break strap designed for defensive carry will break by wedging your thumb DOWN between the strap and the pistol. The difference between the two is that with the hunting holster you have to make two separate motions to get the pistol out of the holster: lift the strap and grasp the handle. With a defensive carry holster the same motion of grasping the handle will cause the strap to open -- that's a single motion. This is all obvious to those who have a defensive carry holster, but it may be completely unklnown to newbies. I never knew this until a police officer showed it to me.

If you want to see how this works, I'll bring an empty holster with the proper type of thumb break strap to the next meeting. Just let me know.

expvideo

imported post

44Brent wrote:
I find it a little odd that people are willing to pay anywhere from $400-1,000 for a gun, but can't afford a decent holster. You can get a good professional quality holster for under $60 at http://www.donhume.com/

If you want multiple retention features, thenthe price is going to go up. I personally use the H-727 for all of my carry guns and have found them to be adequate for my own needs, with their thumb break retention straps. http://www.donhume.com/products/ProductsPage.cfm?ProductID=1

If you skimp on a holster and try to get by with something that cost $20, knowledgable people are going to think you are clueless. They might not say anything, but they will be thinking it. Fortunately for me, a police officer was kind enough to tell me to ditch my Uncle Mikes' POS and advised me to get a decent holster. I'm glad I listened to him.

Here's a little piece of information about thumb break straps. If you have to lift the strap UP, it's not a holster designed for carry a pistol for defensive purposes -- you have a hunting holster. A thumb break strap designed for defensive carry will break by wedging your thumb DOWN between the strap and the pistol. The difference between the two is that with the hunting holster you have to make two separate motions to get the pistol out of the holster: lift the strap and grasp the handle. With a defensive carry holster the same motion of grasping the handle will cause the strap to open -- that's a single motion. This is all obvious to those who have a defensive carry holster, but it may be completely unklnown to newbies. I never knew this until a police officer showed it to me.

If you want to see how this works, I'll bring an empty holster with the proper type of thumb break strap to the next meeting. Just let me know.

My uncle mike's kydex holster has a propper thumb break and great retention. It's no good for CC, since it's rather bulky, but it's great for OC. I can draw very quickly from that holster, since it does break by pressing down, and I can reholster and strap with one hand (this is something alot of people overlook that is very important in a holster).

I agree that a good holster is worth the investment, but my kydex uncle mikes has been great for OC, and I honestly couldn't think of a reason to ditch it.

gregma

imported post

elb1179 wrote:
I too am a poor student but I knew I needed to get a good OC holster. I found the Blackhawk SERPA CQC to be a pretty good retention holster and pretty reasonable. I picked on up for about $42 including shipping for my SW J-frame. Check out http://lapolicegear.com/blcqcsehomaf.html. That's where I got mine and I couldn't be more pleased with it.
+1 on the SERPA. And I got mine at Sportsman's Warehouse in Federal Way for I believe $25.99.

Thanks!
Greg

just_a_car

imported post

So, since some people have issues with Billy McHales, are there any other suggestions for locations for the next lunch?

If you're looking at the Alderwood Mall area, there's also Azteca's just South of the mall on the main road. I'm not sure what their policy is on firearms (such as if there's a sign or anything at the door, barring them), but I wouldn't feel nearly as bad carrying Mexican....... okay, sorry, that was a horrible joke and I know it. :p

There's also Applebee's in Lynnwood on 196th and just West of 44th, and across 196th/South of Fred Meyer's. Kitty-corner from that and halfway down the block is both Red Lobster and Olive Garden (but since I don't like most seafood, I'll vote Olive Garden, but they're both kinda pricey).

Yeah... so, suggestions people, so we can get a consensus for the next one! I wanna meet some of you gents (and ladies, but I can't discern if there are such on the forum... stupid internetz:p).

As a total side-note: what's funny is I've met expvideo before randomly about a year ago in North Bend and we've kept in occasional contact since.