• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My LTE About Supervisor Gross

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

I was reading the coverage of the “Bloomberg Gun Giveaway” when I was struck with a feeling of intense deja-vu. I re-read the current paragraph and there it was; the quote from Fairfax Supervisor Penelope Gross “I swore to uphold the law, whether I like it or don't, and I don't."

I had read almost those exact same words earlier this week. I had been reading a book chronicling the Civil Rights Movement. It illustrated how that, time and again, local officials had proclaimed loudly about how the civil rights rallies were technically legal but they didn’t like it and would find a way to stop them.

Amazingly, the article went on to say that Ms. Gross had actually researched whether or not the county could prohibit groups from using community meeting rooms simply because of their political views. I was stunned! Apparently, the right to free-speech and assembly mean no more to her than does the right to keep and bear arms.

The struggle may have changed and racism may have given way to elitist intolerance, but the message remains the same “Your kind ain’t welcome here!” Supervisor Gross’s predecessors of 50 years ago would be proud of her.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Right on John! She's obviously adept at discrimination. I had the word "bigot" inmy letter but in moving things around I lost it with thewhole line of thought so it never made it, but she is nonetheless a discriminatory bigot.

LEO 229

imported post

She is willing to forbid any activity she personally dislikes. Even if such activity were legal.