• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in vicinity of school

vrwmiller

imported post

Alright...I've been researching this for several hours now and I think I know the answer to my question, but thought I would pose the question here for thoughts and feedback. First, I think the answer to the question is "no".

Now, the scenerio...

A couple of times this week I have ridden my bicycle (non-motorized) from my house to the grocery store, which is 3 miles away. On the way to the store, I am riding on a bike path on a public road. One section of the public road is bordered by a school zone on either side (one high school and one middle school).

Is it lawful for me to carry, either concealed or open, on this section of the road that is bordered by the two schools?

I say no because:

a) US 18-922(q)(2) prohibits me from possessing a firearm within 1000' of a school
zone
b) § 18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school
property prohibited provides an exception for a person carrying a concealed
firearm lawfully while in a motor vehicle, but not one who is on a bicycle.

I suppose I could possess my firearm if I had it unloaded and in a locked container, but that seems impractical, especially if one carries for self defense. Then comes the logistics of ensureing that the container is properly secured so as to not become seperated from the bicycle.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this scenerio? Would be good to know because there are questionable neighborhoods along this road and I would prefer to carry my firearm with me. Otherwise, I'll be looking for an alternative route or just driving to that store.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
Is it lawful for me to carry, either concealed or open, on this section of the road that is bordered by the two schools?

I say no because:

a) US 18-922(q)(2) prohibits me from possessing a firearm within 1000' of a school
zone
b) § 18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school
property prohibited provides an exception for a person carrying a concealed
firearm lawfully while in a motor vehicle, but not one who is on a bicycle.
Do you have a Virginia CHP? If so, then you are exempt from A, not getting into the constitutionality of the GFSZ act or the unlikelihood of prosecution if you don't have one.
If you are on a public road and not on school property, I'd say you aren't violating 18.2-308.1

vrwmiller

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Do you have a Virginia CHP? If so, then you are exempt from A, not getting into the constitutionality of the GFSZ act or the unlikelihood of prosecution if you don't have one.

If you are on a public road and not on school property, I'd say you aren't violating 18.2-308.1

I do have a valid VA CHP. So, are you saying that I would be exempt from 18 USC 922(q)(2) by the exemption identified in sub-paragraph B(ii) of the same statute? I can see where that would be the case. Would it matter whether or not the firearm were open or concealed?

I agree that on a public road, I am not in violation of 18.2-308.1.

vrwmiller

imported post

longwatch wrote:
I cant see how OC or CC matters.

This is my rationale/thinking when proposing that question. The exemption in 18 USC 922(q)(2)B(ii) states:

if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license
Since VA only has a license for concealed carry and not open carry. Would it dictate the need to actually conceal?

I follow this line of thinking after reading § 18.2-308.1. Because in the exemptions it provides for those with a valid CHP, it implies that said firearm must be concealed while on the school property. The mere fact that one has a CHP does not exempt one from the statute as the implication is that the firearm also be concealed.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think in this case the value of the Virginia CHP is that it makes you an exception to the GFSZ, but the federal code doesn't dictate that you must use it.

LEO 229

imported post

The way I see it... unless Virginia has adopted a state code to match the federal code... you could only be arrested by the FBI. I do not think they are going to worry about you walking by.

The local police would need a state code to charge you under.