Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virginia’s gun laws are killing New Yorkers!!!!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Please move all sharp objects away from your computer and unload any weapons in a 20 ft radius before reading this article. I am not responsible for any damages to your person or property as a result of reading this idiot's article.
    (I thihk he went to school with Trejbal)

Let's see just how much his inbox can hold!!

Virginia’s gun laws are killing New Yorkers
    http://www.buffalonews.com/149/story/75360.html

Douglas Turner
    Updated: 05/14/07 6:41 AM

Even the slaughter of 32 Virginia Tech students and faculty has not dissolved Virginia’s morbid obsession with handguns.

A top aide of Sen. Jim Webb, D-Va., carries a loaded pistol into a U.S. Senate office building, gets arrested and then is released with no sanction.

After declaring he has “nothing but loathing” for those who would use the massacre to strengthen the state’s gun laws, Gov. Tim Kaine issues a fig-leaf directive that might have prevented Seung-Hui Cho, who was mentally ill, from buying handguns.

Now, the state’s attorney general, Robert McDonnell, has warned New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg about the undercover agents the mayor sent into the commonwealth to “sting” Virginia gun dealers who sell weapons illegally.

Bloomberg sued 27 out-of-state dealers because his cops tell him that many of the black-market

guns used in killings and other crimes in New York City came from Virginia.

Shamelessly, McDonnell warned Bloomberg that his agents could be convicted of felonies under state law banning covert filming of gun sales.

The Buffalo Niagara region has a huge stake in stopping the flow of weapons from states with weak laws and less enforcement.

Buffalo Mayor Byron W. Brown said McDonnell “should be as aggressive in enforcing the law that prevents illegal guns from getting into the hands of criminals as he seems to be in enforcing laws that protect the gun lobby.”

Erie County District Attorney Frank Clark said the largest sources of illegal guns taken from criminals in the region are from Virginia and Ohio. The sellers come into Buffalo, Clark said, “like Fuller Brush salesmen, selling four or five handguns at a time.”

In Virginia, anyone with a driver’s license can buy one gun a month, effectively no questions asked, as the Cho disaster proved.

Exactly how many back-alley weapons come to New York via the Virginia pipeline these days is known to the Justice Department and few others, thanks to a bill drafted in 2003 by Rep. Todd W. Tiahrt, R-Kansas, and passed by the then Republican Congress.

In its last public report, the government said Virginia was the largest source of illegal weapons taken in New York State. Four of five such weapons were from out of state. That was in 2003. Since then the information is supplied sparingly on a need-to-know basis to prosecutors.

Is it a coincidence that the National Rifle Association, the mother of all pro-gun lobbies, has given Tiahrt more than $44,000 for his last five campaigns?

Bloomberg, Brown and the other 214 members of Mayors Against Illegal Guns want the Tiahrt amendment repealed so they know the sources of smuggled instruments of death.

Although congressional Democrats are slow to use their new majorities to firm up gun control, some are supporting repeal of the Tiahrt amendment.

Sen. Charles E. Schumer, DN. Y., is among them.

“Whether you are pro-gun control or anti-gun control, repealing this amendment gives cops the tools they need to stop the bad guys and protect the good guys,” Schumer said.

One former supporter of Tiahrt’s law, Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen, R-N.J., now wants repeal. Police “should have access to all data they need to successfully prosecute crimes,” he said.

Rep. Brian Higgins, D-Buffalo, isn’t so sure.

The Tiahrt law does not stop law enforcement from obtaining data needed “to catch criminals who have committed gun crimes and prevent them from striking again,” Higgins said.

“I support protecting the confidentiality of persons exercising their constitutional rights,” he said. “I will take a close look at any proposal to change that policy.”

dturner@buffnews.com

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    instruments of death.
    Should I start calling all my firearms that now? Next time a friend or family member comes over "Hey, did you see my new instrument of death yet?"

Everyone is always quick to point the finger at someone else. NY just needs to grow some balls and man up to the fact that they are doing a terrible job at EVERYTHING. Someone was shot yesterday, uh oh, blame VA. Because its not our fault that the guy had possession of an illegal firearm in their state or anything.

But apparently I am in the wrong business. Walking door to door selling guns sounds kinda fun.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

It seems to me that if Virginia firearms laws are killing New Yorkers, they must not be using them correctly. These same laws seem to have the opposite effect on Virginians.

Hummm ... Perhaps as a matter of public safety we should have a law down here prohibiting the transport of any person into the state of Virginia that has ever lived in New York unless they register and receive state provided training in how to follow our laws. It does seem they have a problem in that area. Perhaps this program could be administered in one of our residential correctional facilities. My vote is for Bloomeberg to start off with about 20 to life for training in RICO, Federal Firearms laws, geography, and jurisdictional limitations.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

VA laws don'tkill NY people.... NY people kill NY people....

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    VA laws don'tkill NY people.... NY people kill NY people....
    I love it. That's going in my 2nd e-mail to that "reporter"! I can plagiarize as well as any hack writer.

Post imported post

It is just so funny how people can twist words to work in their favor.

The news media.... who are supposed to be reporting the facts... will often times embellish and sensationalize things. Anything to capture viewers and readers.

Post imported post

Scheetz wrote:
    BobCav wrote:
    instruments of death.
    Should I start calling all my firearms that now? Next time a friend or family member comes over "Hey, did you see my new instrument of death yet?"

I would happily call my guns "instruments of death" if some journalists would start calling their printing presses "instruments of stupidity."
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

Shotgun wrote:
    I would happily call my guns "instruments of death" if some journalists would start calling their printing presses "instruments of stupidity."
    I can agreee to that.

Post imported post

I emailed Turner and told him exactly what I stated above.
    A. Gold

Post imported post

I received a very short reply: "OK"

:P
    A. Gold

Post imported post

Truner gave me a little more of a response:

DC's illegal guns come from VA and MD>

Douglas L. Turner
    Senior Correspondent
    Buffalo News Washington Bureau
    1141 National Press Bldg.
    529 14th St. NW
    Washington DC 20045

202 737 3188 vox
    202 737 2855 fax
    202 246 2015 cel
    703 455 6382 home

Dear D. Turner,

TheNY anti-self defense gun laws have created an
    atmosphere where the criminals are guaranteed that
    their victims cannot mount an effective deterrence or
    defense when violently assaulted. VA gun laws are not
    to blame for your social problem. VA, where violent
    crime is lower per capita then NY, is safer due to
    their laws. For proof just look across the Potomic
    River at DC's total gun ban and high crime rate.

Post imported post

welcome back cato.. where you been hiding?

Post imported post

My wife was telling everyone she was an opencarry.org widow, so in the interest of self interest I had to deprive y'all of my intelect and dashing figure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

cato wrote:
    Douglas L. Turner
    Senior Correspondent
    Buffalo News Washington Bureau
    1141 National Press Bldg.
    529 14th St. NW
    Washington DC 20045

202 737 3188 vox
    202 737 2855 fax
    202 246 2015 cel
    703 455 6382 home
    If Washington's gun law and therefore crime ratesare so much better why is his home # in Arlington?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Edit: Bad idea recognized and deleted.

More edit: But, not before BobCav could quote it below. Please. If you seeBobCav's post quoting me, either don't follow thesuggestion, or keep it very, very civil.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Lets call him and find out.
    LMAO!! :celebrate

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Edit:* Bad idea recognized and deleted.*

More edit:* But, not before BobCav could quote it below.*** Please.* If you see*BobCav's post quoting me, either don't follow the*suggestion, or keep it very, very civil.* *
    What the H___ makes you think anyone here would follow your advice.:celebrate

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."

Post imported post

cato wrote:
    My wife was telling everyone she was an opencarry.org widow, so in the interest of self interest I had to deprive y'all of my intelect and dashing figure.
    Despit all rumors to the contrary, CATO is NOT out of shape. ROUND IS A SHAPE!!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    Lets call him and find out.
    LMAO!! :celebrate
    Citizen wrote:
    Edit: Bad idea recognized and deleted.

More edit: But, not before BobCav could quote it below. Please. If you seeBobCav's post quoting me, either don't follow thesuggestion, or keep it very, very civil.

Oh hell, you said it, now stand up and take it like a man!

I'm gonna call him and tell him you sent me! :P

(And even if I did, you would be responsible how? Relax a bit...)

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Just so its federal. I don't want LEO229 to have access to my serial numbers.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Sorry.
    This state is a mess.

Our governor's wife announced today she is going to hold a summit to find out why people are fleeing the state like rats from a sinking ship.

In the 1990’s, the upstate population of 20- to 34-year-olds decreased by 22 percent. “Hand in hand with this population decline is the struggling upstate economy,” she said.
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist or the governors wife to figure this out. No jobs, companies leaving, no company would come here and deal with the high taxes and regulation, a governor who sues gun companies when he was AG doesn't give other companies confidence that he wont do the same to them, Taxes are the highest in the nation, rediculous restrictions on freedom. Don't get me started on gun laws (registration of all handguns, no open carry, an AW ban, .....)

My brother moves next month to TN for this very reason as soon as I can find an escape route I am right behind him. The sad thing is Western NY is one of the most beautiful places in the country to bad that stain on the East coast has ruined it for the rest of us.

Post imported post

When I first moved to the Metro area in 1992..... I picked Virginia since it was easy to get to from DC.

Now... I am sooo happy I live in Virginia!!!

Gun laws here are so much better than DC and MD.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    When I first moved to the Metro area in 1992..... I picked Virginia since it was easy to get to from DC.

Get me a job and I'll move, but I don't want to go through academy again. Maybe I could mow lawns or somthing? or provide protection to reporters who piss on the 2A but don't want to carry!

Post imported post

cato wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:

Get me a job and I'll move, but I don't want to go through academy again. Maybe I could mow lawns or somthing? or provide protection to reporters who piss on the 2A but don't want to carry!

I need to get Citizen hired first. That is going to take all my energy. I will hook you up next.

My wife wants to retire to Hawaii but they do not allow Class III weapons so I told her hell no!

Post imported post

But you will have HR218

Prince William is hiring officer though they will probably send you though the academy again. I'm waiting to hear from them myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast