• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia’s gun laws are killing New Yorkers!!!!

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Please move all sharp objects away from your computer and unload any weapons in a 20 ft radius before reading this article. I am not responsible for any damages to your person or property as a result of reading this idiot's article.
(I thihk he went to school with Trejbal)

Let's see just how much his inbox can hold!!

Virginia’s gun laws are killing New Yorkers
http://www.buffalonews.com/149/story/75360.html

Douglas Turner
Updated: 05/14/07 6:41 AM

Even the slaughter of 32 Virginia Tech students and faculty has not dissolved Virginia’s morbid obsession with handguns.

A top aide of Sen. Jim Webb, D-Va., carries a loaded pistol into a U.S. Senate office building, gets arrested and then is released with no sanction.

After declaring he has “nothing but loathing” for those who would use the massacre to strengthen the state’s gun laws, Gov. Tim Kaine issues a fig-leaf directive that might have prevented Seung-Hui Cho, who was mentally ill, from buying handguns.

Now, the state’s attorney general, Robert McDonnell, has warned New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg about the undercover agents the mayor sent into the commonwealth to “sting” Virginia gun dealers who sell weapons illegally.

Bloomberg sued 27 out-of-state dealers because his cops tell him that many of the black-market

guns used in killings and other crimes in New York City came from Virginia.

Shamelessly, McDonnell warned Bloomberg that his agents could be convicted of felonies under state law banning covert filming of gun sales.

The Buffalo Niagara region has a huge stake in stopping the flow of weapons from states with weak laws and less enforcement.

Buffalo Mayor Byron W. Brown said McDonnell “should be as aggressive in enforcing the law that prevents illegal guns from getting into the hands of criminals as he seems to be in enforcing laws that protect the gun lobby.”

Erie County District Attorney Frank Clark said the largest sources of illegal guns taken from criminals in the region are from Virginia and Ohio. The sellers come into Buffalo, Clark said, “like Fuller Brush salesmen, selling four or five handguns at a time.”

In Virginia, anyone with a driver’s license can buy one gun a month, effectively no questions asked, as the Cho disaster proved.

Exactly how many back-alley weapons come to New York via the Virginia pipeline these days is known to the Justice Department and few others, thanks to a bill drafted in 2003 by Rep. Todd W. Tiahrt, R-Kansas, and passed by the then Republican Congress.

In its last public report, the government said Virginia was the largest source of illegal weapons taken in New York State. Four of five such weapons were from out of state. That was in 2003. Since then the information is supplied sparingly on a need-to-know basis to prosecutors.

Is it a coincidence that the National Rifle Association, the mother of all pro-gun lobbies, has given Tiahrt more than $44,000 for his last five campaigns?

Bloomberg, Brown and the other 214 members of Mayors Against Illegal Guns want the Tiahrt amendment repealed so they know the sources of smuggled instruments of death.

Although congressional Democrats are slow to use their new majorities to firm up gun control, some are supporting repeal of the Tiahrt amendment.

Sen. Charles E. Schumer, DN. Y., is among them.

“Whether you are pro-gun control or anti-gun control, repealing this amendment gives cops the tools they need to stop the bad guys and protect the good guys,” Schumer said.

One former supporter of Tiahrt’s law, Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen, R-N.J., now wants repeal. Police “should have access to all data they need to successfully prosecute crimes,” he said.

Rep. Brian Higgins, D-Buffalo, isn’t so sure.

The Tiahrt law does not stop law enforcement from obtaining data needed “to catch criminals who have committed gun crimes and prevent them from striking again,” Higgins said.

“I support protecting the confidentiality of persons exercising their constitutional rights,” he said. “I will take a close look at any proposal to change that policy.”

dturner@buffnews.com

Scheetz

imported post

BobCav wrote:
instruments of death.

Should I start calling all my firearms that now? Next time a friend or family member comes over "Hey, did you see my new instrument of death yet?"

Everyone is always quick to point the finger at someone else. NY just needs to grow some balls and man up to the fact that they are doing a terrible job at EVERYTHING. Someone was shot yesterday, uh oh, blame VA. Because its not our fault that the guy had possession of an illegal firearm in their state or anything.

But apparently I am in the wrong business. Walking door to door selling guns sounds kinda fun.:lol:

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It seems to me that if Virginia firearms laws are killing New Yorkers, they must not be using them correctly. These same laws seem to have the opposite effect on Virginians.

Hummm ... Perhaps as a matter of public safety we should have a law down here prohibiting the transport of any person into the state of Virginia that has ever lived in New York unless they register and receive state provided training in how to follow our laws. It does seem they have a problem in that area. Perhaps this program could be administered in one of our residential correctional facilities. My vote is for Bloomeberg to start off with about 20 to life for training in RICO, Federal Firearms laws, geography, and jurisdictional limitations.

Regards

LEO 229

imported post

VA laws don'tkill NY people.... NY people kill NY people....

cato

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
VA laws don'tkill NY people.... NY people kill NY people....
I love it. That's going in my 2nd e-mail to that "reporter"! I can plagiarize as well as any hack writer.

LEO 229

imported post

It is just so funny how people can twist words to work in their favor.

The news media.... who are supposed to be reporting the facts... will often times embellish and sensationalize things. Anything to capture viewers and readers.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Scheetz wrote:
BobCav wrote:
instruments of death.

Should I start calling all my firearms that now? Next time a friend or family member comes over "Hey, did you see my new instrument of death yet?"

I would happily call my guns "instruments of death" if some journalists would start calling their printing presses "instruments of stupidity."

LEO 229

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
I would happily call my guns "instruments of death" if some journalists would start calling their printing presses "instruments of stupidity."
I can agreee to that.

cato

imported post

Truner gave me a little more of a response:

DC's illegal guns come from VA and MD>

Douglas L. Turner
Senior Correspondent
Buffalo News Washington Bureau
1141 National Press Bldg.
529 14th St. NW
Washington DC 20045

202 737 3188 vox
202 737 2855 fax
202 246 2015 cel
703 455 6382 home

Dear D. Turner,

TheNY anti-self defense gun laws have created an
atmosphere where the criminals are guaranteed that
their victims cannot mount an effective deterrence or
defense when violently assaulted. VA gun laws are not
to blame for your social problem. VA, where violent
crime is lower per capita then NY, is safer due to
their laws. For proof just look across the Potomic
River at DC's total gun ban and high crime rate.

cato

imported post

My wife was telling everyone she was an opencarry.org widow, so in the interest of self interest I had to deprive y'all of my intelect and dashing figure.

Attachments

• 0041-0704-0716-2629_SM.jpg
    0041-0704-0716-2629_SM.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 203

cato

imported post

cato wrote:
Douglas L. Turner
Senior Correspondent
Buffalo News Washington Bureau
1141 National Press Bldg.
529 14th St. NW
Washington DC 20045

202 737 3188 vox
202 737 2855 fax
202 246 2015 cel
703 455 6382 home
If Washington's gun law and therefore crime ratesare so much better why is his home # in Arlington?:uhoh:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Edit: Bad idea recognized and deleted.

More edit: But, not before BobCav could quote it below.:) Please. If you seeBobCav's post quoting me, either don't follow thesuggestion, or keep it very, very civil.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Edit:  Bad idea recognized and deleted. 

More edit:  But, not before BobCav could quote it below.  :)  Please.  If you see BobCav's post quoting me, either don't follow the suggestion, or keep it very, very civil.   

What the H___ makes you think anyone here would follow your advice.:celebrate

Regards

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Lets call him and find out.
LMAO!! :celebrate
Citizen wrote:
Edit: Bad idea recognized and deleted.

More edit: But, not before BobCav could quote it below.:) Please. If you seeBobCav's post quoting me, either don't follow thesuggestion, or keep it very, very civil.

Oh hell, you said it, now stand up and take it like a man!

I'm gonna call him and tell him you sent me! :p

(And even if I did, you would be responsible how? Relax a bit...)