• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Watch Capital Sunday on ABC 7 Tomorrow @ 9:30am!

TEX1N

imported post

Yesterday I did an interview with ABC7's Leon Harris, for his show "Capital Sunday." The show airs tomorrow (Sunday, 5-20-07) at 9:30am.

GMU Student Body President appeared for the "I don't think that's a great idea" point of view. I felt that the interview went fairly well, and that Leon was very respectful to both sides of the issue.

[line] Edit: Sunday, May 20th.

We have video of the show, thanks tonakedshoplifter:

Video is live at the following link:

http://vaguninfo.com/videos/gmuscc.htm

The Capital Sunday video is the last (fourth) one.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Okay, so we may be biased, but we thought you were great. I agree that Leon Harris tried to be unbiased; the editing tried to reintroduce some of the bias.

However, Andrew spoke clearly and factually, without reverting to the "well, it might" and "well, I feel" arguments of the student body president.

Go, ANDREW!

VAopencarry

imported post

Andrew, great job!! clear, logical and factual arguements. The Student Body Pres, as Tess mentioned, was, um, like, 'It's not a good idea' on every response.

I don't think it was biased. He let Andrew speak his peace and Andrew did a good job getting his point across. My favorite part, paraphrased.

Leon Harris to StudBodPres: "He makes a good point, what do you say to that?

Kid that looked like he would rather be skate boarding and smoking weed: "Um, I just don't think it is a good idea."

Extra kudos for the smack down of the 'drunken kids' with guns arguement.

fairfax1

imported post

+1. After you made the point you have to be 21 to get a permit, Leon Harris started calling students "young adults" instead of "kids."

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Andrew, great job!! clear, logical and factual arguements. The Student Body Pres, as Tess mentioned, was, um, like, 'It's not a good idea' on every response.

I don't think it was biased. He let Andrew speak his peace and Andrew did a good job getting his point across. My favorite part, paraphrased.

Leon Harris to StudBodPres: "He makes a good point, what do you say to that?

Kid that looked like he would rather be skate boarding and smoking weed: "Um, I just don't think it is a good idea."

Where I think the bias came in was definitely not Mr. Harris.

However, IIRC (I didn't record it, stupid me), the first time Andrew was shown, the sidebar showed his name and "former Marine". The other student, Drew, had his side bar say "Student body president" and "Senior majoring in psychology and government" (these are from memory, so may not be exact).

When Andrew spoke, there was only a name, if anything, below him. When Drew spoke, his name and position were shown. It seemed to me (perhaps through my bias) they were trying to give greater credibility to the other party.

Awesome logic on Andrew's part. I'd recommend he try to be armed in the future with the number and percentage of GMU students who are over 21, and perhaps the number and percentage who are non-traditional students. Perhaps he even had that, and the opportunity didn't arise.

The "young adults" point was perfect, as was the comment that it is not ILLEGAL for a CCP-holding student to carry on campus; it is purely an administrative rule.

TEX1N

imported post

Thanks guys. Nakedshoplifter is helping me out with some of the video, and hopefully we will have it on youtube within a few days. ABC 7 will also post the full show on the Capital Sunday website.

I wish I had a little more time in the interview. I was just starting to get comfortable and really ready to deal with the tougher questions when it ended!

Although the best part of the whole thing came right after the show when Drew and I were back in the waiting room. (As a side note it is important to note that I was born and raised in Texas.) Bay Buchanan was getting her makeup done for the show and her personal assistant started talking to us. The personal assistant was probably about 25 or 26. I told her that we were with GMU and then she asked us why we were on Capital Sunday. I kind of hesitated because I was expecting the normal "I don't think that's a good idea" line that I have been getting so very often from that age/gender block. But instead our conversation went something like this:

Me: "We are both students at GMU."

Her: "Why were you on Capital Sunday."

Me: (Deep breath) "Well, I am putting together a student group called, GMU Students for Concealed Carry, and we are trying to get the school to change their policy and allow students with permits to carry on campus." (Another deep breath as I mentally prepare my talking points)

Her: In a very calm and matter-of-fact tone, with a nod of approval, "Well I'm from Texas, so I don't have a problem with guns!"

Me: (The first thought that came to my mind was "Will you marry me?" but I stayed calm) I looked at Drew and replied, with a hand motion towards the girl, "This is the response I am used to getting...I need to move back to Texas!"

We then talked for a little while and I told her that if she got a VA nonresident permit, it would be good in Texas; to which she seemed interested.

TEX1N

imported post

One other interesting thing that happen before the above conversation with the Texas Girl. Right after the show, Drew told me that if I got enough students behind me the administration would have to listen to me and change the policy! Which I thought was interesting coming from him.

VAopencarry

imported post

You were prepared and articulate and Drew wasn't even close. I think he is questioning his own position on the matter.

Did you get Texas girl's number?:lol:

chefjustin

imported post

TEX1N wrote:
Me: (The first thought that came to my mind was "Will you marry me?" but I stayed calm) I looked at Drew and replied, with a hand motion towards the girl, "This is the response I am used to getting...I need to move back to Texas!"

I think you should have at least got a number. That is my kind of women. There has been a lot of people trying to get me to move to Texas and maybe i will have to check it out some time. Andrew great job and let me know if there is anything i can do to help you all.

Chef

IanB

imported post

I just got back from the airshow.

Capital Sunday video will be online in 30 minutes, will provide the link when live.

chefjustin

imported post

Andrew you did great. I think there was some definite bias there form the host and production staff. Then again it is media and they tend to have a bias. Again Andrew way to go using real fact and not "Drew's" theoretical junk.

Chef