• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Informing law enforcement while driving...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

PackininVB wrote:
I was pulled on 264 goin towards the beach by witchduck. The officers name is TPR M.S. Walden. By his logic he was saying that even if i wasnt carrying i still needed to inform the cop that i had a permit and that i wasnt carrying.

Maybe if i wrote a complaint then i could show that this trooper is slightly incompetent and tell them "Yeah i bet he said i was speeding too!" lol

Anyone have a link to what i would need to do to file a complaint?

That is near where Reverend43 got stopped 3 months ago and got hassled:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=1524&forum_id=54&highlight=low+ready

Reverend43 said he was going to file a complaint. He can probably help you out on the details on filing and what the response was.

Hey, maybe it was the same trooper...if it was, could be a pattern.

Wooley

imported post

Thanks for the clarification. I never thought about how that works. I knew we didn't have to inform, but wasn't sure if it was just with a VA permit.

I still want to know though, if I'm in the military with a resident VA CHP but on a Michigan license and Michigan tags on my car, does the officer know I have CHP?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If you have a Virginia permit he probably does. If you have an out of state permit, most likely not. Unless there is formal reciprocity between two states they do not trade the information necessary to add it to your records here.

Regards

PackininVB

imported post

I remember all the fact, it was pretty cut adn dry, he just gave me my ticket and told me that crap. ill check out the VSP website and see what i can do. Thanks for your support guys.

IanB

imported post

Citizen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Where did you get stopped? What is the officer's name?
Yes, do tell. The officer obviously overlooked the customary serial-number check. LEO229 will want to make sure he doesn't overlook it again. :p
AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

But...

He didn't have his gun with him. If he had, THEN the serial would have been run, and his pistol would be returned to him disassembled. The cop would also empty his magazine before handing it back to him and instruct him not to put it back together "until I'm out of sight".

DeadCenter

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Citizen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Where did you get stopped? What is the officer's name?
Yes, do tell. The officer obviously overlooked the customary serial-number check. LEO229 will want to make sure he doesn't overlook it again. :p
AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

But...

He didn't have his gun with him. If he had, THEN the serial would have been run, and his pistol would be returned to him disassembled. The cop would also empty his magazine before handing it back to him and instruct him not to put it back together "until I'm out of sight".

I would not reach for my pistol while being detained for a ticket. This was mentioned by a gentlemen at the last manassas meeting. He was stopped and asked to remove his pistol from his holster. I can not remember if he did? However, I think it is wrong, and I think you are just asking for more trouble or maybeshot if you comply. If they arrest me for something, then they can have my gun and they can take it themselves. As a side bar, if they were to ever do this to my wife, I assure you the sh*t would hit the fan like you have never seen before. As for Manassas -- They will only see me at the city meetings. I have no reason to be in their town until they get educated.

Maybe Hawkflyer needs to moonlight over there and straighten them out.:p

DC

LEO 229

imported post

I would contact VSP and complain that you were harassed based on the fact you have a CHP. There is no need to report you have a permit and your not armed. This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You do not even have to tell me your armed!!

He ran your license and discovered you had a permit. He then startedquestioning you only to find out you did not have a gun today. He took it personal that you did not tell him so he decided to "put a hit" on your license.

What a load of crap!! That was unprofessional and what he said was not even true. This tactic needs to be stopped immediately.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
What a load of crap!! That was unprofessional and what he said was not even true. This tactic needs to be stopped immediately.

Gee, always have a kind word for your fellow LEOs, don't you, LEO 229? :uhoh:

Don't forget, you're still on triple secret probation...to determine if you are "one of us." :p

LEO 229

imported post

HankT wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Gee, always have a kind word for your fellow LEOs, don't you, LEO 229? :uhoh:

Don't forget, you're still on triple secret probation...to determine if you are "one of us." :p

Hank... I'm trying to work that off... :D

I hate LEOs that do moronic stuff like this. There is a time to lie and that is during an suspect interview.. The trooper was just being an ass here.

Quick Story....

I was actually stopped by the VSP on I66 while headed out of town for a holiday to seethe in-laws.

I saw the trooper who took an exit that lets you come back onto I66. I was in the right lane doing 55 and all the other cars were stacked up behind me.. they were scared of the trooper and wanted to stay out of his view I guess.

I tell the wife that it is a tactic to pull off and wait for speeders to think you cannot come back on to get them. She watches him and he passes the last exit and turns on his lights. He pulls ahead and back out onto I66. Waves his arm out the window to me to pull over.

I look and I am going 55 MPH... Shocked... I pull over and right behind the trooper. I reach back to get my LEO ID and he RUNS back to my window as fast as he can while jamming his hat on his head.

I provide my LEO ID as I am required to do by department regs and identify I am a LEO. He looks at my ID, gives it back, and tells me to "at least wait till he has left the interstate."

I called back "What did I do?" since I still had no clue what the hell he was talking about. He jumped back into his car and drove away. I never even had a chance to get his name and plate number.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I called back "What did I do?" since I still had no clue what the hell he was talking about. He jumped back into his car and drove away. I never even had a chance to get his name and plate number.
Forgot to put on your 'band of blue' special dispensation sticker?

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA

LEO 229

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Forgot to put on your 'band of blue' special dispensation sticker?

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA
He would not have seen it anyway... :D Too far off to the right and remember... he pulled me over and stopped in front of me.

I spoke to some other troopers and they knew him... said he was a little too gung ho.

reefteach

imported post

Here in OH there is a duty to inform, but rogue officers have been taking it one step further by claiming that one must inform even when when not carrying. "Officer I have a CHL and am not carrying, I also have a fishing license, but no pole".

LEO 229

imported post

reefteach wrote:
Here in OH there is a duty to inform, but rogue officers have been taking it one step further by claiming that one must inform even when when not carrying. "Officer I have a CHL and am not carrying, I also have a fishing license, but no pole".

Seems like some LEOs are scared... :shock: They need to know your not armed to make themselves feel safer..... Oh Please...

It is nice to let the officer know "I have a permit and I am/am not packing today."

But it is not required. An officer should assume everyone is armed that he encounters since the bad guys will carry without first obtaining a permit.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

It is nice to let the officer know "I have a permit and I am/am not packing today."

I wonder about this. Does the statement by a stopee of "I have a permit and I am not packing today." have any real information in it?

1. If the LEO has called up the tag, he already knows the stopee has a permit, and

2. The LEO would be extremely foolish to actually trust anyone not known to him as being truthful about such a statement.

Information has been described as "a difference which makes a difference."

I suggest that "I have a permit and I am not packing today." doesn't make a difference. Ergo, there is no information in that statement. It's useless.

Unless the guy slurssss when he says it, ofcourse.

TEX1N

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
But it is not required. An officer should assume everyone is armed that he encounters since the bad guys will carry without first obtaining a permit.
Thats what I've been wondering, since when do officers put their safety on the word of a complete stranger?!? It doesn't seem like a smart move if you ask me.

Like LEO 229, I've also had another officer tell me that he ALWAYS assumes that EVERYONE is armed. To me this seems like the smarter choice because then there won't be any surprises!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ChinChin wrote:
Mrs. ChinChin was recently pulled over by one of Manassas' offiers, who attempted to tell her the same thing after being pulled over for a expired tag. Looking at her ticket I half-expected to see the name "Codfelter" but it actualy had a name not connected to the Tony's 7 affair.

I made sure Mrs. ChinChin was re-schooled on VA laws and then called Manassas PD to make sure they instructed their officers not to lie to citizens. I was half tempted to invoke VCDL and inquire if they desired another appearance at the next town council meeting, but thought better as A) I don't have a fracton of that clout, and B) Mrs. ChinChin now sees my point in never engaging an LEO of Manassas in conversastion of any kind as 9 out of 10 times they're on a fishing trip.

Not a badge-basher, but those people in Manassas need some serious retraining.

You can help VCDL make their case for a reinvestigation of the Tony's incident by filing a formal written complaint, and sending a copy to VCDL and the Mayor of Manassas. Be sure to mention that you are not a member of VCDL in your copy to the Mayor (if you're not.)

It would need to have occurredwith Manassas City, as opposed to Manassas Park.

Also, if I recall. One of the things to come out of the Tony's incident internal investigation was a promise by the chief to train his officers ongun law. Your complaint would support that this did not effectively occur and that hostile attitudes still exist.

A quick, simple way to help gun rights and good cops would be to make the complaint.

ChinChin

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
ChinChin wrote:
...SNIP
Not a badge-basher, but those people in Manassas need some serious retraining.
As a professional LE trainer I can assure you that you are mistaken. Before they can be "RETRAINED", they must be trained in the first place. It is clear that this critical first step has been omitted.

Regards
Touche!

PackininVB

imported post

TEX1N wrote:
Thats what I've been wondering, since when do officers put their safety on the word of a complete stranger?!? It doesn't seem like a smart move if you ask me.
One thing that i should note is that i was on my way back from doing an onload on the boat im about to go on for like 10 days. I was heading back to VB from norfolk and i was IN UNIFORM. Now most cops should know that you CANNOT take any weapons on base and me being in uniform should have told him that i was either leaving base or going to base and didnt have any weapons on me. just basic logic there.. I dont know anyone who would leave base, go home, grab their gun and stay in uniform... your not even allowed to get out of your car in get a pack of smokes in your utilities unless your on base at the NEX.