• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it legal to resist a civil rights violation?

molonlabetn

imported post

para_org wrote:
Some kind of wierd browser/web site/editing thing going on. And ALL of my reply was lost.

So I'll try again:

Speaking about tattoed numbers and concentration/death camps is interesting. I am glad you brought that up.

IF we are talking about a police-state, where the police are allowed to do what they want and then the courts are the final arbitrators is not ANY different that German in the 1930's. A careful study of that time will show that they had recently passed a set of gun-control laws that were designed to disarm the public. With that in place seminal events like "crystal nacht" or "the night of the broken glass" allowed the German govt. to do what is now history.

More importantly these very same gun-control laws were used 35 years later to formulate the US's Gun Control Act of 1968. We in the USA are easily 1/2 way towards what German became, as we have the same spirit, behavior, and many of the same people-control laws EXCEPT for one thing; Americans usually have to will to fight back.

I am hearing that it is better to not fight back. WELL, I have fought back, so far only by my exercising my right to get the police to put up with a concrete charge or shut up and go away. I have had as many as 17 patrol cars surrounding me and demanding answers to shit that was NONE of their business. I have had police supervisors arrive on scene and demand answers while reminding me of the same things I read here: to always answer a police officer's questions. I have walked away without being booked or arrested each time while waiting them out AND reminding them that they were not asking questions they had a right to ask. You can do this too, if you have the will and the knowledge how to do so. BTW I was not breaking ANY laws either.

You all should also know that I wear a gun in open carry almost every day. I often see police and we do NOT tend to interact. When we do it is pleasant as long as the policemen are obeying their oath of office. If you cannot envision that, then you live in the wrong place to be an American. You are living in a place more like German in the 1920's and 1930's than what American can be. Maybe you should consider moving ?
I like you already.

Tomahawk

imported post

para_org wrote:
Some kind of wierd browser/web site/editing thing going on. And ALL of my reply was lost.

So I'll try again:

Speaking about tattoed numbers and concentration/death camps is interesting. I am glad you brought that up.

IF we are talking about a police-state, where the police are allowed to do what they want and then the courts are the final arbitrators is not ANY different that German in the 1930's. A careful study of that time will show that they had recently passed a set of gun-control laws that were designed to disarm the public. With that in place seminal events like "crystal nacht" or "the night of the broken glass" allowed the German govt. to do what is now history.

More importantly these very same gun-control laws were used 35 years later to formulate the US's Gun Control Act of 1968. We in the USA are easily 1/2 way towards what German became, as we have the same spirit, behavior, and many of the same people-control laws EXCEPT for one thing; Americans usually have to will to fight back.

I am hearing that it is better to not fight back. WELL, I have fought back, so far only by my exercising my right to get the police to put up with a concrete charge or shut up and go away. I have had as many as 17 patrol cars surrounding me and demanding answers to shit that was NONE of their business. I have had police supervisors arrive on scene and demand answers while reminding me of the same things I read here: to always answer a police officer's questions. I have walked away without being booked or arrested each time while waiting them out AND reminding them that they were not asking questions they had a right to ask. You can do this too, if you have the will and the knowledge how to do so. BTW I was not breaking ANY laws either.

You all should also know that I wear a gun in open carry almost every day. I often see police and we do NOT tend to interact. When we do it is pleasant as long as the policemen are obeying their oath of office. If you cannot envision that, then you live in the wrong place to be an American. You are living in a place more like German in the 1920's and 1930's than what American can be. Maybe you should consider moving ?

Soundsabout rightto me.

You should know, however, that the day when America becomes too much like Nazi Germany is the day when the cops don't bother standing around listening to you talk about your rights, but just drag you off somewhere and beat the daylights out of you or kill you outright.

This happens in many countries all the time, but in the US it's the exception rather than the rule.

As long as we have enough people who are willing and knowledgable to be the watchdogs, as you are doing, we have a chance to save ourselves from going down that dark road.

Hat's off to you, para.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

para_org wrote:

So I'll try again:

More importantly these very same gun-control laws were used 35 years later to  formulate the US's Gun Control Act of 1968. We in the USA are easily 1/2 way towards what German became, as we have the same spirit, behavior, and many of the same people-control laws EXCEPT for one thing; Americans usually have to will to fight back.

I am hearing that it is better to not fight back. WELL, I have fought back, so far only by my exercising my right to get the police to put up with a concrete charge or shut up and go away. I have had as many as 17 patrol cars surrounding me and demanding answers to shit that was NONE of their business.  I have had police supervisors arrive on scene and demand answers while reminding me of the same things I read here: to always answer a police officer's questions. I have walked away without being booked or arrested each time while waiting them out AND reminding them that they were not asking questions they had a right to ask. You can do this too, if you have the will and the knowledge how to do so.  BTW I was not breaking ANY laws either.

I have no particular objection to any of the above. But it kind of depends on how it all goes down. I too have had some "encounters" with the police. People who have not do not have their eyes opened to the truth.

In my most pointed experience, the incident began with me looking down the bore of a 12 gauge shotgun. He opened his car door, got behind it, and pointed the shotgun, before he said his first words. Did I verbally resist? You bet. Did I comply with every single order given by the guy with the shotgun? You bet. When the other 18 cars from 4 jurisdictions arrived did I continue to assert my rights? Hell yes. Did I continue to comply with orders from the 7 LEOs pointing guns at me. Damn right. Did I authorize a search of the vehicle, NO. Did they search it? Your damn right they did. Could I stop the search. No and if I had tried I would not have lived to tell about it.

I spent 40 minutes on my stomach, in the rain, in the mud, with a 12 gauge pointed at my head from 6 feet away, and with a cop yelling "Don't you move or I'll blow your head off" about twice every minute, until a store clerk was brought to the scene to confirm for these idiots that I and the guy with me were NOT the two black men that robbed her fur store 30 MILES AWAY! (both of us are unambiguously White). My truck did not even match the description of the getaway car.

Did I file a complaint afterwards. Your damn right I did. And I am obviously here to irritate all of you, so obviously I survived. There is no doubt in my mind that if I was black, I would have died that night. The guy with the shotgun was shaking so bad, he slammed his thumb in the action, and was bleeding the whole time. He could barely keep the muzzle still enough to keep it on target (me). The look in his eyes was sheer panic, and I knew that he would fire out of simple fear, if not on purpose, then by accident. You could smell the adrenaline coming off the guy. It was his second night on patrol.

My reaction that night WAS SELF DEFENSE. Just as certainly as pulling a gun on these guys would have been an act of suicide by cop. There are more tools in the bag of self defense that guns. The whole point of "self defense" is survival, and frankly, sometimes self defense means living long enough to take the bastards to court, by using ONLY your wits. Bring your brain to the fight or it won't be there when you need it.

There is no question that should the time come for an armed response to tyranny such as occurred in Nazi Germany, most of us would respond. While I agree we are further along that road then most people realize, and we are moving in the wrong direction. We are not there yet. We each must pick our battles, and fight them based on the circumstances of the situation.

I will not apologize to ANYONE for what I and my friend did that night to survive, and I reject the assertion put forth in this discussion that it was cowardess to comply with the orders of a man pointing a gun at my head. Come back and tell me all about it after you have looked down the bore of that shotgun with the frightened kid on the other end of it.

Regards

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
I will not apologize to ANYONE for what I and my friend did that night to survive, and I reject the assertion put forth in this discussion that it was cowardess to comply with the orders of a man pointing a gun at my head. Come back and tell me all about it after you have looked down the bore of that shotgun with the frightened kid on the other end of it.

Regards
and you have no need to anyway. It is indeed a choice of picking your battles and that was one you certainly were not going to win. I don't blame you in the slightest and I don't think anyone else here will either. I think what most of us here (not truly speaking for anyone but me here) are talking about is the 'stop' to interrogate escalating because of illegal or unethical conduct from the officer.

Legba

imported post

I was speaking hypothetically (re: tattos and cattle cars). My run-ins with the cops haven't been as sinister as all that, merely annoying at times (although a cop friend of mine has informed me that I have an "approach with caution" warning in my record on the state crime database - no idea what that's about, but it might explain some of theresponse I've gotten from the police since that flashes up every time I get stopped). I appreciate that theirs is a difficult and typically thankless job, but we must reconcile the need for police with our own sense of dignity. I do not advocate appeasement at all costs, simply prudence.

-ljp

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
In my most pointed experience, the incident began with me looking down the bore of a 12 gauge shotgun....
I spent 40 minutes on my stomach, in the rain, in the mud, with a 12 gauge pointed at my head from 6 feet away, and with a cop yelling "Don't you move or I'll blow your head off" about twice every minute, until a store clerk was brought to the scene to confirm for these idiots that I and the guy with me were NOT the two black men that robbed her fur store 30 MILES AWAY! (both of us are unambiguously White). My truck did not even match the description of the getaway car.

My reaction that night WAS SELF DEFENSE. Just as certainly as pulling a gun on these guys would have been an act of suicide by cop. There are more tools in the bag of self defense that guns. The whole point of "self defense" is survival, and frankly, sometimes self defense means living long enough to take the bastards to court, by using ONLY your wits. Bring your brain to the fight or it won't be there when you need it.

There is no question that should the time come for an armed response to tyranny such as occurred in Nazi Germany, most of us would respond. While I agree we are further along that road then most people realize, and we are moving in the wrong direction. We are not there yet. We each must pick our battles, and fight them based on the circumstances of the situation.

I wouldn't call you a coward for what you did that night. Nor a weak pacifistsubject of the Third Reich. I'd call you "alive." Your responsibility in such a horrible nightmare of out-of-control LEO terror and incompetence was to act intelligently and to becoherent and ethical. You acquitted yourself exceptionallywell.

The "IF we are talking aout a police-state" premise is so incredibly false that it's not worth responding too. It's the product of small and ever-narrowing minds. For those paranoid-extremists, though, it seems like thewhole point of "self defense" is 80% survival, 20% martyrdom.But sometimes the percentages flip around.

I think they are generally in the category of dangerous people ("approach with caution") and they should be avoided.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There are practical matters to be considered here. The courts consistently rule in favor of any but the most egregious civil rights violations by police, with an occasional excursion into absurdity in the other direction that gets all the attention.

Bottom line is that after the fact, the cop(s) involved will write a report that will be considered as gospel by the courts, and no matter what the true facts are, you will come out looking like John Dillinger about to rob a bank.

CrashVector

imported post

Here's the bottom line in my state:

LA RS 40:1379.3
(a) A homice shall be deemed as justified in the course of preventing false or illegal arrest against one's own person

It goes on, but that's the part relavent to this discussion.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ilbob wrote:
There are practical matters to be considered here. The courts consistently rule in favor of any but the most egregious civil rights violations by police, with an occasional excursion into absurdity in the other direction that gets all the attention.

Bottom line is that after the fact, the cop(s) involved will write a report that will be considered as gospel by the courts, and no matter what the true facts are, you will come out looking like John Dillinger about to rob a bank.
You must be from Chicago...

imported post

I, too, am from Louisiana..........!!!!! But here's what the US supreme court said about this very situation. I HIGHLY suggest EVERYONE, especially the LEO community, go read and re-read the supreme's decision John Bad Elk vs United States..........

It said, in summary;

1. A chief of police isn't God,

2. An officer cannot carry out the illegal action prompted by the chief,

3. A citizen DOES have the right to use deadly force to prevent his false arrest,

4. When a LEO operates OUTSIDE the limits of the law, he does so at his own risk.

To the best of my knowledge, John Bad Elk has not been overturned.

imported post

One simple question: did you actually READ John Bad Elk vs United States?

EVERY gun owner and EVERY LEO needs to read this.

Again, act outside the law, suffer the consequences. I know that's strong language, especially for keyboard kommandos who would never dare stand up and confront anyone.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Legba wrote:
SNIP...I've had run-ins with cops, and I've walked away every time. I've swallowed my pride more than once, and yet I'm alive and at (relative) liberty.
Wise advice. Play the game deliberately, and know how the game is played. A judge can whack a cop a lot harder with the 4th Amendment than you can.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Cut And Shoot wrote:
You open fire on an LEO because you think maybe he's crossed your civil rights line, and you're stepping into some really deep, nasty shit.
in your world of absolutes, i'm sure that is the case. I don't believe anyone in here stated that they would open fire on LEOs because of an illegal search, however, try to illegally arrest me and the LEO is now responsible for the escalation and any repercussions. The way it should be.

4sooth

imported post

Crashvector--thanks for the LA RS on resisting illegal arrest.

In the late 70''s or early 80's a state trooper was killed by a citizen he was trying to arrest.The officer knew the arrest was illegal(as was shown by his training records)and the citizen was cognizant of the law.

This was a state supreme court decision-understandably not popular with the police community.But --- this was constantly stressed during our reserve classes---KNOW what you're doing is proper under the law.

I have tried to no avail to find this case but everybody is tight lipped about it so my search continues and when I find the case I will post it .

If anyone out there knows of this--feel free to e-mail me or post the decision.

4sooth

imported post

Mark---thanks for the idea--I will try that.

CrashVector---the RS you cited deals with various concealed carry laws and regs---but there is nothing about resisting illegal arrest or anything else close.

Are you sure that is the correct statute?

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Total violation of your forth amendment rights. "Securing" the weapon while they verify your legality is fine, but if the dismantle your weapon, remove the magazine, etc or don't return it, then they are screwed. Get a good lawyer and sue the state police for unlawful search and seizure.

glocknroll wrote:
This discussion was started on another thread and went a little farther afield than I intended. I was thinking more of an incident wherein a LEO stops you for open carry and demands ID and the surrender of your weapon. You state that you know your rights and don't have time for this BS and attempt to leave the area. Is this legal under federal law? If he escalates, how far can, or should, you go? I'm really interested in what the law has to say about this, and the opinions of anybody interested in expressing one.