• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Denver to pay man arrested after asking officer for ID

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=70307

DENVER (AP) - A University of Denver student who spent the night in jail will get $8,500 under a settlement announced this week by the American Civil Liberties Union of Colorado.

Officers will also be trained that it's OK for citizens to ask officers for their ID.

ACLU attorney Taylor Pendergrass says Evan Herzoff filmed the arrest of an individual April 8 of last year when Officer Jeffrey Morgan asked him for his ID. He was told he was free to go and that's when Herzoff asked Morgan for his business card.

Herzoff was arrested on suspicion of trespassing, handcuffed and jailed.

The charge was later dropped and police launched an internal investigation following a complaint. An independent police monitor says the officer was disciplined but couldn't release details.

City officials say the settlement requires approval by the City Council.
Note that the officers will be 'trained' rather than re-trained as discussed elsewhere on OCDO.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

I have heard rumors that video taping Police is now a crime due to some Homeland Security BS. Anybody know the facts on this?

LoveMyCountry

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
I have heard rumors that video taping Police is now a crime due to some Homeland Security BS. Anybody know the facts on this?

LoveMyCountry
Lies and BS. In almost every state. I believe Massachusetts has that law but not any other state. Here in Washington it's legal to record officers surreptitiously. State v. Flora.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Does anyone have any suggestions for a hidden video camera setup to record one's actions while OCing?

I've often thought that some "upstanding citizen" or LEO could make up a story about one's activity while OCing, leaving you or me to hold the bag.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

BB62 wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions for a hidden video camera setup to record one's actions while OCing?

I've often thought that some "upstanding citizen" or LEO could make up a story about one's activity while OCing, leaving you or me to hold the bag.
That's a great idea. Some people do lie...

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

BB62 wrote:

ATC 2000 by Oregon Scientific. Let your search engine do the walking.

para_org

imported post

It occurs to me that this officer and his buddies are too stupid to continue being police officers. Um, if they arrested this guy, why didn't they also have an accident and erase the offending video tape ? No amount of re-training is gonna help here as far as I can tell.

Or put another way, while patently stupid this cop was too honest to stay out of trouble. On the other hand his superiors are not stupid. But from their statements acknowledge dishonesty in the cops as a rule. (Read the Denver post story cited above. Especially the last quote in the article.)

They also can't fire the cop, mainly because he *was* honest.

Sigh.....

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

DOUG,

That is a GREAT FIND!! I will study it.

Thanks much!

I did a Google search through a lot of pages for "digital tapeless video recorder" and never came across anything like it.

How did you happen to know about it?

Thanks again,

BB62

vrwmiller

imported post

HankT wrote:
Here's a much better written account of the incident:

http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_5923178

This article was, indeed, more well written than the one OP posted. I still had a problem with the article in that it seemed to pay more attention to the fact that tax payers would be penalized for this case. Indeed, tax payers would be footing the bill for this. Given the circumstances, however, I, as a taxpayer (though, not of CO), would not oppose such a settlement on the basis that it exposed an inept LEO/PD that citizens would be more concerned with.

I might begin to question the motives of the case had Herzoff been seeking an outrageous settlement.